ShadowRaven

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A very good overall paint job Tim.

Since you asked for honest feedback mine are the following for critiques:

• Need better pictures, these are pretty fuzzy for seeing the finer details.
  • It needs a little bit more highlighting on the highest points of the figure such as the tops of the folds of the cloak, the hair could use the highlighting "halo" effects with just a little bit of white paint dabbed on the individual strands of hair around the top of the head.
  • A bit more shading in between the fingers
  • The gems look good, but the dots should be a tiny bit higher up where the light would hit and reflect rather than the middle of the gems.

The following for praises:

• Very clean
  • Fantastic Base
  • Great color scheme
  • Nice skin colors
  • Yes, you should enter him into the gallery, he's a very solid piece.
  • Like 4

While I'm sure it's just the fuzzy picture making the fangs blend in with his pale skin, it kinda looks like he's puckering up for a kiss.  :poke: On the constructive side, I agree with ub3r about the highlighting, and might also consider deepening the shadows on the sword hilt and the upper portion of the gems.

• Like 2

Me personally, I'm not a big fan of undead having pupils. It tends to give them a "lively" aspect. I like a nice off white with a light wash of blue. Or maybe a cat/reptilian style eye just to shy it away from the human look.

I too suffer from bad pictosis. One day I'll have to buy me a fancy shmancy one ah dem daer cameras everyone uses. 'Till then, it's bad pics for me =(

Me personally, I'm not a big fan of undead having pupils. It tends to give them a "lively" aspect. I like a nice off white with a light wash of blue. Or maybe a cat/reptilian style eye just to shy it away from the human look.

I too suffer from bad pictosis. One day I'll have to buy me a fancy shmancy one ah dem daer cameras everyone uses. 'Till then, it's bad pics for me =(

Or you could just use your wifes camera phone.

• Like 4

Or you could just use your wifes camera phone.

You mean the one that's never charged?

But it takes one hell of a picture when it comes to Miniatures.

Need to take a picture of your nephews at the park? Roflmao, jokes on you I forgot how to focus!

Need to take a picture of the beautiful sunset at the beach? Pfft, Lighting makes me blur funny.

Need to take a picture of that special moment with your loved one? LAWLS, Batteries Dead

My phones a jerk.

• Like 4

Tim, it's a nice mini. Always submit things to the inspiration gallery. If it gets in, great! If not, you know to spend more time/effort/eyesight on the next one. It's very passive feedback, but feedback nonetheless.

My active feedback:

I like the eyes, especially the eyebrows. I like pupils on intelligent undead, which this guy absolutely is.

I think your red needs some pop. Try some greens or dark purples into the deepest folds, and get some brighter reds onto the highest points. The big thing for contrast on this kind of blood red will be in the shadows, though, to avoid skewing orange or pink. All that said, your shadow placement is really nice, especially under the big shoulder armor on the back.

Make the white spot on the sword's gem a little smaller, a bit more pinpointed. And don't forget a shadow across the tops of the gems. Check out Pingo's boat thread for some really nice cabochon gems (on the railing) if you need a visual reference.

I love your colors. The red looks great against that armor, and the gold collar frames the skin of the face nicely. Really solid work on this guy, cue the level up music!

• Like 2

I really like what you did here. Strong, classic color scheme for a vampire lord.

Others have already covered the specifics, so I'll just reiterate the usual 'more contrast' (which by the way is secret code for 'you painted it well').

• Like 2