Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

"Black Moon's Bane": A Spelljammer Ship (New Pictures, post #27)

This is bitter sweet to see Pingo. Happy to see it done, but I'll miss the updates on the WIP. Been following along with your WIP since the beginning and this is just a work of art that you put out, very very original and amazing. Congrats on completing it!

• Like 10

Wow, that's really cool!! You've done a really great job with it, I love all the little details that keep popping out with each new look at the pics.

• Like 4

To get a better grasp of the work that went into your WONDERFUL creation I just strolled through your W.I.P. thread. Your attention to detail, painstaking modeling, imaginative color choices, & skilled brushwork have yielded a BEAUTIFUL LITTLE MASTERPIECE! I am very impressed with your dedication to the task. SPLENDIDLY WELL DONE!

• Like 5

A beautiful work of art. Each time you updated the WIP it became more and more jaw-dropping. I especially enjoy the little freehand details on the sides of the hull.

• Like 3

There are so many wonderful little details and story elements woven into what started out as a very simple ship.  I'm so very in love with the entire project, thank you for sharing it with us all!!  :wub:

• Like 5

A fantastic piece of art you have there.

Very nicely executed.

Fantastic use of color and imagery.

• Like 1

This is bitter sweet to see Pingo. Happy to see it done, but I'll miss the updates on the WIP. Been following along with your WIP since the beginning and this is just a work of art that you put out, very very original and amazing. Congrats on completing it!

I could not have said it better.

• Like 7

Thanks for sharing your work of art with us Pingo.  You have given me so many ideas for the ship related projects that I have half formed in my head.  It's nice to see such an ambitious project taken from conception to completion.  Well done!

• Like 3

When I think of when you first started this project to where you finished... Wow! That was a lot of work you went through.

Very creative. I hope it inspires a lot of adventures. ::):

• Like 3

Now we have to go together and get her a new boat to start.  Black Moon's Bane needs a ship to fight!

An illithid ship!
  • Like 6

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By EvilJames
      Yar! Ahoy, lads and lasses, it be that time O' year again! A time for all land lubbers to embrace their inner sea dog and set sail. That's right, it be Talk like a Pirate Day again. 
      So put down yer troubles, and forget all yer squabbles and syntax for a day and lets all raise a cup O' grog or rum in celebration, to all me hearty crew! Arrrr!

I'll be post'n a traditional carol for the day shortly. 
    • By Pingo
      Coincidentally, I had this figure very nearly done two days ago when the sad news of Diana Rigg’s passing was made public.

It always was a tribute to her incandescent portrayal of Emma Peel in the old British TV show “The Avengers”, but now it’s a memorial as well. Requiescas in pacem, Ms. Rigg.

The figure is “Pandora King (Classic)” from Crooked Dice miniatures. Crooked Dice has a minis game based on cult TV and they’ve produced a lot of different figures suitable for that sort of storytelling.

• By Rat13
      As Halloween approaches the dollar stores are filling up with cheap decorations and spooky bricabrac. Amid all the potential projects a certain reflective skull caught my eye. Not knowing if it would take paint or not I decided to roll the dice on a few. I attached them to some bases, added a bit of sand, and the next day I took them out to prime. 

They ended up taking primer just fine, though I guess I shouldn't be surprised with the primer I use. Unfortunately I forgot to snap a picture of their grey primed goodness. 

Next up were the basecoats of the skull and "dirt".

I didn't get great or even smooth coverage on the skulls, but it was good enough as I was just going to add a heavy wash anyway.

The wash was a bit thicker than I wanted but again I figured it was passable and more than good enough to move onto a final drybrush.

Not too bad, but there is definitely room for improvement. I guess I'll just have to practice a bit more with my new drybrush. 

I finally took the leap and tried Uncle Atom's makeup dry brushing technique. Though this project probably qualifies as a failure, I do see the potential. Now all I need is more practice, it's not like I don't have a huge backlog of terrain just waiting to be painted.
    • By Pingo
      Happy birthday, @TheAuldGrump and @Inarah. I hope you enjoy this. Notes follow after the photos.

This is Grenadier’s Hippogriff, #138 from the Fantasy Lords series way back in 1983, now sold in lead-free pewter by Mirliton Miniatures, Italy. It’s well sculpted, with securely fitting wings.

I wanted to paint something different from the common hippogriff colorings, something with a little challenge to it. So I decided to go with several black and white patterned creatures. The front end is based on an osprey, the wings on a hoopoe’s, and the hindquarters on a zebra, all somewhat modified to suit the figure and to blend where the shifts happen.

Whenever you’re going to paint a chimeric model, a creature made up of the parts of other creatures, it’s a good idea to go look at real animals to see how their colors and feathers and skins look, and also how they blend into other things. If nothing else, there are excellent visual resources on the internet.

Technical notes:

• By MoonglowMinis
      Not super sure where to post this but this made the most sense to me. I found some fantastic miniature pumpkins at my local Joann Fabrics.

Hopefully you can find them elsewhere if you don't have a Joann's.
      They come in $10 bags that are pretty big. I don't see myself ever needing to buy more. 

They say "fall drieds" which makes me think they're some kind of organic. But they have the consistency of some kind of acorn or pinecone. So pretty solid. I don't think they'd deteriorate but if you're worried I'm sure a sealant of some kind would do the trick. 

They come in a mix of sizes but they all look pretty good at 28mm scale. The cutting mat has half-inch squares.
      Most of the pumpkins are of the artistically exaggerated size compared to a mini, and the smaller ones tend to be darker and a bit more mishapen. The coloration in them is pretty decent. I think they could use a layer of highlights but if you're in a hurry or making a huge pumpkin patch, then they look just fine. 

Anyways, I hope this is useful for someone!
  • Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)