Loim

Skellymens or: Loim builds graveyard bases. A build along.

Skellyman.jpg

I did a rough tabletop paint job on this guy while I was building bases. I decided to base him up in an equally quick fashion, since I am not a big fan of broccoli bases. So, in the spirit of spreading what little knowledge I possess I will do a build along WIP on some quick and dirty graveyard bases. I will do two bases out of different materials, and I will list all materials and steps so anyone who wants can build along. You don't need all the materials I list, and you can make this work with pretty much anything you have on hand. C&C encouraged. 

Materials:

Square or round base

Super glue or Tacky Glue

Acrylic Gesso

Cork

Baked Sculpey

Popsicle sticks

X-acto/craft knife/scalpel

Paint

Once all the materials are gathered up it's time to make bases. 

IMG_20140517_183516.jpg

• Like 9

The first thing I'm going to do is build up two layers. I use round wooden checkers for the bases. On the first base I will start with a layer of cork, and then add a layer of sculpey. The sculpey I'm using has been baked, and then I peeled apart the layers. This gives it a really lovely rough texture. Most of what I'll use for this purpose are bits and pieces left over from large flat sheets. The second base is just two layers of cork sandwiched together, and then roughly shaped the way I want it. I glue all of this together with craft glue.

IMG_20140517_184855.jpg

• Like 5

While I'm waiting for the craft glue to set up I will add my grave markers. For the sculpey/cork base I took another scrap of sculpey and carved a rough cross out of it. I glue it to the base with super glue. Once it's glued down I take my scalpel and "weather" it. You can skip this step, I just like the way it looks. For the cork base I take a popsicle style craft stick and cut a bit off of one end. I normally use craft glue, but since I already had my super glue out and open I went ahead and used it to attach the tomb stone.

IMG_20140517_185839.jpg

• Like 7

Once you add any details you want, cover the base with a coat of gesso. This seals everything, and gives it a nice texture.

IMG_20140517_223414.jpg

• Like 10

Like what you're doing, especially interested in the popsicle tombstone. I've used the technique before, and personally I like to give them a wash that soaks into the wood then just drybrush them with the stone colour of your choice http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/51687-shadowravens-halloween-wip/?p=773672  but now I am extra curious to see what you do with it now that it's sealed.

For the sculpey cross, you carved that out of a sheet of already baked sculpey? what did you use to carve it with, and how hard was it to do?

• Like 6

I use whatever sharp instrument I have handy to carve it. In this case I used my pocket knife. I've also used a X-acto, scalpel, and craft knife. It's very, very easy to cut. So much so that you have to be careful not to cut too far. 

• Like 2

As soon as I procure some black craft paint I will finish this up. Sorry for the delay. I didn't realize I was out of cheap base paint. 

I picked up some black craft paint today, so I will be finishing this up ASAP. In the meantime I give you a photo of some more basing in progress. I've had the idea for this in my head for a few years, but couldn't ever really realize it until I talked with James Wappel at ReaperCon about carving baked sculpey. Once I have all the flagstones defined i will measure and cut it into pieces for 1 inch bases.

IMG_20140522_204317.jpg

• Like 8

After I have the base more or less the way I want it I will apply a fast base coat. For the left hand base I have applied a heavy black coat. For the right I just did a heavy wash, using he same black paint, but watered much more heavily.

Graveyard.jpg

• Like 3

Because of you i am, sacrificing my body for the hobby......started eating Dove ice cream bars to make tombstones for my old west minis? Lol. ;-)

• Like 5

That sounds like a worthy sacrifice. I just bought a package of craft sticks at Wal-Mart, but I like your method better.

• Like 3

Once that's dry I go in and add colors/drybrush details. For these two bases I mixed some mossy green with a little black to make a greyish green color. Then I hit the bases, focusing mainly on the tops. For the cross I also hit it with some of the greyish green. Then I drybrushed everything on that base with a dark brown to give it a "dirty" look. For the tombstone I took the same brown and using the drybrush I dabbed it on in small blots. I was trying for a muddier look. Finally I took some cold grey and drybrushed both the cross and the tombstone. After this point you can go in with some flock or foam and add some grave moss. Or add in some dead grass, or even nightshade flowers if you want to get really fancy. Once this is all dry I will go in and paint the bottom of the base a flat black.

IMG_20140530_193721.jpg

• Like 9