Skellymens or: Loim builds graveyard bases. A build along.

Skellyman.jpg

I did a rough tabletop paint job on this guy while I was building bases. I decided to base him up in an equally quick fashion, since I am not a big fan of broccoli bases. So, in the spirit of spreading what little knowledge I possess I will do a build along WIP on some quick and dirty graveyard bases. I will do two bases out of different materials, and I will list all materials and steps so anyone who wants can build along. You don't need all the materials I list, and you can make this work with pretty much anything you have on hand. C&C encouraged. 

Materials:

Square or round base

Super glue or Tacky Glue

Acrylic Gesso

Cork

Baked Sculpey

Popsicle sticks

X-acto/craft knife/scalpel

Paint

Once all the materials are gathered up it's time to make bases. 

IMG_20140517_183516.jpg

• Like 9
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first thing I'm going to do is build up two layers. I use round wooden checkers for the bases. On the first base I will start with a layer of cork, and then add a layer of sculpey. The sculpey I'm using has been baked, and then I peeled apart the layers. This gives it a really lovely rough texture. Most of what I'll use for this purpose are bits and pieces left over from large flat sheets. The second base is just two layers of cork sandwiched together, and then roughly shaped the way I want it. I glue all of this together with craft glue.

IMG_20140517_184855.jpg

• Like 5

While I'm waiting for the craft glue to set up I will add my grave markers. For the sculpey/cork base I took another scrap of sculpey and carved a rough cross out of it. I glue it to the base with super glue. Once it's glued down I take my scalpel and "weather" it. You can skip this step, I just like the way it looks. For the cork base I take a popsicle style craft stick and cut a bit off of one end. I normally use craft glue, but since I already had my super glue out and open I went ahead and used it to attach the tomb stone.

IMG_20140517_185839.jpg

• Like 7

Like what you're doing, especially interested in the popsicle tombstone. I've used the technique before, and personally I like to give them a wash that soaks into the wood then just drybrush them with the stone colour of your choice http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/51687-shadowravens-halloween-wip/?p=773672  but now I am extra curious to see what you do with it now that it's sealed.

For the sculpey cross, you carved that out of a sheet of already baked sculpey? what did you use to carve it with, and how hard was it to do?

• Like 6

I use whatever sharp instrument I have handy to carve it. In this case I used my pocket knife. I've also used a X-acto, scalpel, and craft knife. It's very, very easy to cut. So much so that you have to be careful not to cut too far. 

• Like 2

I picked up some black craft paint today, so I will be finishing this up ASAP. In the meantime I give you a photo of some more basing in progress. I've had the idea for this in my head for a few years, but couldn't ever really realize it until I talked with James Wappel at ReaperCon about carving baked sculpey. Once I have all the flagstones defined i will measure and cut it into pieces for 1 inch bases.

IMG_20140522_204317.jpg

• Like 8

After I have the base more or less the way I want it I will apply a fast base coat. For the left hand base I have applied a heavy black coat. For the right I just did a heavy wash, using he same black paint, but watered much more heavily.

Graveyard.jpg

• Like 3

Once that's dry I go in and add colors/drybrush details. For these two bases I mixed some mossy green with a little black to make a greyish green color. Then I hit the bases, focusing mainly on the tops. For the cross I also hit it with some of the greyish green. Then I drybrushed everything on that base with a dark brown to give it a "dirty" look. For the tombstone I took the same brown and using the drybrush I dabbed it on in small blots. I was trying for a muddier look. Finally I took some cold grey and drybrushed both the cross and the tombstone. After this point you can go in with some flock or foam and add some grave moss. Or add in some dead grass, or even nightshade flowers if you want to get really fancy. Once this is all dry I will go in and paint the bottom of the base a flat black.

IMG_20140530_193721.jpg

• Like 9

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Glitterwolf
      Reaper's Jacob Knochenguard and a piece of Reaper's Graveyard Fence.

Part of my Children of the Night Project.
      WIP:
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79298-children-of-the-night-by-glitterwolf/page/19/#comments

When Jakob heard of the trouble his old friend Ernst Holtz was in he didn't hesitate, he travelled to the Barony as fast as he could.
      Unlike Ernst, Jakob didn't want anything to do with those modern gizmos, that steamwagon Ernst was so fond of?
      Jakob was convinced it would explode one day.
      No, he would rely on his silver sword, the Holy Bible and his pistol with silver bullets, they had never failed him before.

Jakob didn't have to wait long before he encountered the first abomination, as he suspected it was no match for his sword.
      Now to meet Ernst, if that contraption hadn't burst into flames by now..

• By Dan S
      It feels like an age since I last posted a terrain build, my last build journal (still unfinished) was actually in October of last year, so it has been a while!

Anyhow, my circumstances have changed and I have found myself with more free time to enjoy my hobby, and so this week I was able to sit down and start a new build, another photo backdrop, this time a cemetery (sorry no build journal this time, I just wanted to enjoy the project).  This one had been on my to do list for ever, the gravestones, coffin and the wall are all Reaper accessories.  I had a lot of fun with this one.

On another positive note, I've now got some time to go back and revisit my 'Post Apocalyptic Suburbia' build journal.  I'm sure  many people don't even remember it, but leaving it unfinished has really been bugging me, so hopefully that one will have a much overdue update by the weekend!  

• By Glitterwolf
      I created a little Graveyard.
      The Crypt and the Raven are resin models from Minimonsters, the Skeleton rising from the grave is 02043 from Reaper.
      The Tombstones and Fence are from the Reaper Bones III Graveyard Set.
      The pathway was made with Milliput and I used the Greenstuffworld Cobblestone Rollerpin on it.

Enjoy!
      Likes, comments and job offerings to lead Undead Hordes welcome!

WIP Here:
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79298-children-of-the-night-by-glitterwolf/

• By ced1106
      Tiny Furniture's "Inserts 25mm - Village garbage" is a five-piece set of 1" circular garbage base inserts for your miniatures. They may also be used as terrain, objective markers, etc, with or without bases. Like Tiny Furniture's other miniatures, they have the high level of detail you expect, and can be painted easily by beginner players. Like Tiny Furniture's "Dungeon Garbage", the miniature bases have an assortment of garbage suitable for dungeons, city states, and villages. Each heap pile is a collection of smaller distinct items, so, like "Dungeon Garbage" you have the option of giving as much attention (and time) to the details as you would like. The bases are available unpainted. While I didn't see a painted version in the catalog, you can contact Tiny Furniture and see if a painted version is available.

The five bases have different garbage:
      * Rat with barrel, plate, and bone.
      * Chest with broken plate.
      * Broken wheel, urn, and skull.
      * Broken barrel bottom, wood, and urn.
      * Broken pottery and wood.

Color Scheme : Realistic and in the Background. Unlike Tiny Furniture's "Garbage Debris" miniature set, you may not want the garbage bases to be so demanding that they take the focus of the viewer's attention from the miniature on the base. This may result in the overall miniature and base looking too busy, as each element of the miniature and base is demanding the viewer's attention. At most, maybe the rat might be painted to be more noticeable by the viewer. Real garbage is a homogenous mess, typically brown, so I went with painting the miniature with that in mind, still painting the features differently if the viewer picks up the miniature to look at it closely. One of the photos has the "Garbage Debris" set next to the inserts.

Painting Tips. I primed in a brown colored primer, followed by a dark brown wash, such as Army Painter's Strong Tone wash. I then painted the wooden pieces the same brown color, more or less. Skulls and bones were painted ochre. Optionally, you can then drybrush or paint ochre as an undercoat for lighter or different colors. Besides paints, you can use washes for a faded coloring. Both the Army Painter and Secret Weapon Miniatures has a range of colored washes you can use. To unify the base, I then used a brown wash, Secret Weapon Miniature's Sewer Water. You can then edge-highlight wood, etc. with a lighter brown and ochre. For the rat, I painted it grey, with flesh tone paws and ears, then black for its eyes. To make the rat stand out a little, I did not wash it.

Conclusion. Most painters considering Tiny Furniture's "Inserts 25mm - Village garbage" are probably intermediate painters, but the set should be accessible to beginners with some terrain experience as well. The inserts can be used as garbage piles for a variety of other uses, such as objective markers, rough terrain, garbage piles, and so on.

• By MoonglowMinis
      It's the perfect time of year to show off this little collection of spooky minis!

Giant Bats 44040

These little guys are adorable.  They're pretty simple, and it's hard to pick out details in their faces, but I think they're fantastic little minis.  Though their size clearly makes them giant bats, I can definitely see myself using them as "normal-sized" bats for Wildshape or Familiar purposes.  I specifically used the Little Brown Bat as my coloration reference.
      More Bat Photos Below:

Harrowgate Shrine 77723
      Next up is a bit of scatter terrain.  This is one of the two models in the Harrowgate Shrines set.

What could it be?  An ancient omen?  The gravestone for a horrific creature?  Or perhaps the beast itself is encased in stone!
      It's not the most exciting of models, but I thought it fit nicely with this little set.  I probably should have based it, but I like basing scatter pieces on flat bases and didn't have one the right size for this.  Might base it in the future.
      More Shrine Photos Below:

Werebat 77448
      And rounding out this set we have the big baddie: the werebat!

I really like how dynamic this guy is.  Really get the sense he's about to lunge at you, or take off to the skies.  I painted him up like the giant bats.  Don't love the paintjob, but it works.  I really like how his base turned out though.  The model comes on a roughly 1" circular base, but he's pretty top heavy.  I didn't want to give him a 2" base, but I'm really starting to enjoy basing these oversized models on 40mm rounds.  Especially with that tapering rim, they fit nicely without looking out-of-scale compared to other "medium" sized creatures.
      More Werebat Photos Below:

So what's the story?  What would you use these minis for?
  • Who's Online   19 Members, 2 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)