zoroaster100

Dungeons and Dragons (fifth edition) release

With the announcement of the the release schedule for D&D (fifth edition) today, I'm eagerly embarking on a project to paint up low-level miniatures like orcs, goblins, etc. so I can use them to run a fifth edition game for my players so we can try it out.  We are all very excited to try the new game.  We'll probably start with the starter box releasing July 15 just to test the rules and start the campaign when the Player's Handbook comes out August 19.

• Like 7

What are your thoughts on the proposed $50 price tag for the PHB? Do you think they're going to charge the same amount for the MM and DMG (for a total buy-in of $150 to play the game), or do you think they'll follow Pathfinder's scheme of a $50 PHB which is almost everything you need to play the game, a slightly cheaper Monster Manual to round it out, and then a DMG which is completely optional?

• Like 1

It looks like they are releasing a new set of minis via wizkids at the same time. There is a six piece starter set that looks very good for $19.99, with a dwarf cleric, human ranger, halfling rogue, northlands fighter, elf wizard, and Drizzt Do’Urden. The boosters though are 4 blind minis for $15.99, so it doesn't look like nearly as good an option. For some reason the initial images are missing the halfling. Also, the scale is off on these, the northman is larger while the lady with the warhammer is a dwarven cleric and shorter. I really like the look of these, better sculpts and paints then they usually provide. And while we really don't need another dark elf/Drizzt mini, the rest make great PC choices, and the gender mix is nice to see.

STK640659.jpg

Edited to add a better scale shot, but too small to see any details on the minis: 676795.jpg

Edited by Suden
  • Like 7

Wizkids typically doesn't use photos of production paintjobs for its promotional material.

I'd be highly suspect of the work on these minis being representative of their final product.

• Like 8

Wait. WAIT.

The new minis set includes DRIZZT DO'URDEN?! Oh my goodness, somebody pleas sign me up for like, 83 copies, because that elf is AMAZING and totally the most important thing in all of D&D, including even the creation of the game! Drizzt is just the best thing EVAR and I am so glad the latest (and so, obviously, better than everything else) version of D&D is including him so prominently!

/sarcasm

/vitriol

/hyperbolic response

Those minis do look pretty nice; I wouldn't mind having a few, especially that magic-user. But for the love of Mishakal, can't we just let the Drizzt concept die?

As for fifth ed, what little I've seen looks like fun, but I'm still happy with 3.5. Won't be buying in, personally.

• Like 9

Hey, R.A.Salvatore killed Chewbacca. I'm sure he'll be willing to kill off his modt lucrative cash cow ever sometime soon. :devil:

• Like 2

Having read several of the most recent Drizzt books (I have an intense dislike for the character, so I find it behooves me to keep up on current events so I have something to back up my rants, but I read them through the library, not via purchase), I actually have the impression that Salvatore wishes he could stop writing Drizzt, too. The character has been more flatly written than usual of late.

• Like 3

I hate how they never want release the MM at the same time as the PHB.

Price doesn't surprise me.  For both 3x and 4x the core books were subsidized by other books (meaning they sold them at a loss in hopes you'd buy all the other books) so it looks like they decided to stop that.

I never want to play a 3.x game again and 4x wasn't my cup o' tea so I'm hesitant on 5x but I know people who will be buying it so I'll read it when they get it.

Edited by MonkeySloth
  • Like 2

I was part of the playtest since last summer. I like what I've seen and I'm eager to see the final version.

To that end, I'm signed up to play all three official 5th edition games at Gen Con this year.

I was especially pleased with how streamlined it's become. To me it seems that they took the best parts of all previous editions and made a good system out of them.

Edit: Grammar.

Edited by Dan Goodchild
  • Like 3

Wizkids typically doesn't use photos of production paintjobs for its promotional material.

I'd be highly suspect of the work on these minis being representative of their final product.

They color them in the 3d modeling software.  Occasionally you get decent ones, but they're not in the top end of PPP minis.

• Like 1

I already preordered the Player's Handbook, Monster Manual and Dungeon Master's Guide on Amazon, where they are currently $39.77 each (I expect Amazon will possibly even lower the price slightly before they ship).   The (to me) very slight price increase from prior editions is trivial compared the to the hundreds of dollars I shell out constantly for miniatures and other accessories for use with the game.  My main concern is that the rules turn out to be well thought out and most importantly, fun to play.  My players and I really enjoyed the playtest we did some months back, though there were still areas that clearly needed work.  It sounds like they've done a lot of improvements since the public playtest so I am very hopeful, but of course I won't know for sure what I think of the rules until I read them. 

I've really enjoyed each edition of D&D when it came out, though each has had its shortcomings.  They've all done lower level characters, monsters and adventures fairly well in my opinion, but third edition, Pathfinder and fourth edition start to break down for higher levels with too much complexity and slowed speed of the game, for my tastes and the tastes of my players.  So I am hoping this new edition provides faster speed of play, more time for roleplaying and exploration, while still preserving some amount of interesting choices for players and monsters and good flavor during combat.

• Like 4

I preordered the 4th edition box set and got burned.  I'm going to keep an open mind about 5th, but it is going to have to prove its worth before I shell out money.  Even if I do purchase books, it's unlikely to displace Pathfinder as my RPG of choice.  I hope to grab a demo game at some convention somewhere to try it out.

• Like 3

I've done some Next Playtesting.  I thought about putting another on my Origins schedule, but the only place I could fit it was 8am Sunday.  Add in the $8 ticket and I think I'll be sleeping in Sunday.

I will probably flip though the books, but I've no compelling reason to buy them right now.  I'm a sucker for their art work usually.  And the minis as show above look rather nice.  But I fear production won't be as good.

• Like 2