zoroaster100

Dungeons and Dragons (fifth edition) release

I anticipate attempting to get copies at GenCon.  Sometimes things are remarkably popular and sell out, other times I can get to it (I generally do my shopping the last day of a show, to let paying customers have a crack at the good stuff).  

I will play at least enough to be familiar with the game, because I need to be able to understand the game terms and limitations when helping people find their characters.  If you're a Race A of Class X, I need to know what that means in terms of prohibited gear and general appearance.  

As for if it will supplant my other games? I can make no predictions before our group tries it. We sometimes end up liking games we predict we won't, and attitudes change.

I stopped paying attention to the playtesting fairly early on, when it was becoming apparent that the designers and most of the people playtesting it were almost fanatically anti-anything-that-was-in-4E-just-because-it-was-in-4E... At that point I hadn't seen anything in the playtest that hadn't been done (and often done well, if not better) in a previous edition.

I'll buy the PHB because I've bought every one since 1st Ed., and possibly even the other two core books, but I have no idea if I'll ever actually play it. (Much like Bryan, I need to be at least familiar with the game since I'm one of the folks who do character image mods in the thread on the WotC forum, and tend to be one of the folks most often recommending miniatures to people lookig for something to fit their character.)

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2

I'll likely get the 5E starter set but it would have to be pretty damn good to make me want to give up 4E even for a little while.  Since I GM 95% of the time I find I want games that are easy to run and adlib stuff on the fly for when my players go 'off script' (oddly that didn't happen at all in today's session beyond I thought they were going to attack the Muls and Imperial troops that came to take them into "custody" and they quietly surrendered.).  4E is the GMs edition to me and it really helps that my players really like it too.

• Like 2

I'm the 'game guy' at the hobby store I work at so I'm getting at least the Player's Handbook to be able to speak intelligently about it.  From what I've seen so far, I'll at least play some casually cause I like a fair bit of it.  Of course I've played and liked all the editions of D&D for at least a while after they come out before gamer ADD kicks in and I wander off to something else.

• Like 1

I preordered the 4th edition box set and got burned.  I'm going to keep an open mind about 5th, but it is going to have to prove its worth before I shell out money.  Even if I do purchase books, it's unlikely to displace Pathfinder as my RPG of choice.  I hope to grab a demo game at some convention somewhere to try it out.

Amen, brother. Preach it!

Hey, R.A.Salvatore killed Chewbacca. I'm sure he'll be willing to kill off his modt lucrative cash cow ever sometime soon. :devil:

There may be some truth to that. Salvatore was NOT happy with the timeskip between 3.5 and 4th edition; his entire supporting cast died of old age. He objected, and WotC gently explained to him that if he didn't continue writing Drizz't books, they'd hand the franchise to someone else. Salvatore elected to keep getting paid, but popular opinion seems to support the idea that he's not really into it any more; the most recent books haven't had the snap and sizzle of his old stuff.

The price points are nuts, though. $150 for the main books? That's mighty steep... but I haven't seen the product yet. But for that price, it'd better get up and make my coffee for me in the morning. And I am not wild about the minis sets; the non-blind packs I'm hearing about sound okay... assuming I wasn't up to my ears in clerics, fighters, and so forth. Hell, the only reason I'd buy the pack with Drizz't is to get Drizz't. And I'm hearing that four-mini blind boosters will be selling for... $16 each? Ahahahaha. No, I don't think I will be wildly interested in that.

It disturbs me. I got into the game when I was thirteen... and bought the hardbacks a year later. And the whole honkin' game was within my reach, pricewise. Admittedly, I had to go out and get a JOB, but, well, you could DO that when you were a puppy kid back in the day. But now, the whole thing will run you $150, total? That sounds painful. If I'd had that choice back in the day, I would have said the hell with it and gone out and got me a couple Atari cartridges instead of this insane game with all the reading and math and stuff.

On the other hand, the starter set's still $20, and carries you as far as level 5, as opposed to the ancient Boxed Sets, which only got you to level 3 for a comparable price. But I dunno. It's gonna have to be some seriously awesome stuff before I'll put my money down.

• Like 4

I'm in the wait and see camp. I'm hoping to be able to borrow a copy from someone and read it before I throw $150 at it.

• Like 1

$150??? And I thought 30 per book was expensive. I'm hoping some of the 4e adventure books drop in price so I can pick them up and borrow ideas from them.

• Like 1

The 4E books were $40 each and no one I know paid that price for them - MSRP is for suckers.  My FLGS matched amazon.com's price (pretty impressive considering I'm in Canada)  and sold out of 4E in their first week.  Still made profit on them too (but they bought a pretty big pile of books).  I suspect 5E will go a similar route.

Also $150 (not that anyone will end up paying that) is about the price of 4-5 months of cell phone service.  No kid I know over 12 doesn't have a cell phone.

Hey, R.A.Salvatore killed The Star Wars Expanded Universe. I'm sure he'll be willing to kill off his modt lucrative cash cow ever sometime soon. :devil:

FTFY

• Like 1

The 4E books were $40 each and no one I know paid that price for them - MSRP is for suckers.  My FLGS matched amazon.com's price (pretty impressive considering I'm in Canada)  and sold out of 4E in their first week.  Still made profit on them too (but they bought a pretty big pile of books).  I suspect 5E will go a similar route.

Also $150 (not that anyone will end up paying that) is about the price of 4-5 months of cell phone service.  No kid I know over 12 doesn't have a cell phone.

I pay a whole Hell of a lot less than that for an entire year of cell phone service. ($70 for 455 days.)

Mind you, I just go for basic service - and only have the phone for emergencies... but in an emergency I would much rather have a phone than an RPG that does not much interest me....

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

I pay a whole Hell of a lot less than that for an entire year of cell phone service. ($70 for 455 days.)

Mind you, I just go for basic service - and only have the phone for emergencies... but in an emergency I would much rather have a phone than an RPG that does not much interest me....

The Auld Grump

Sorry - I meant smart phone.  And here (in Canada) $40/month is about the industry standard for reliable smart phone service.

Pssh! You people and your complaints about $150 for three books! Pssh! My mom has books on her wishlist that cost that much all by themselves (let us ignore the fact that they're out of print and very hard to find). And I spent $100 on ONE book once! (Lets also ignore the fact that it was a HUGE textbook for college.)

WotC wouldn't sell you something that wasn't worth the money, RIGHT?

Right...?

:lol:

• Like 4

Wizkids typically doesn't use photos of production paintjobs for its promotional material.

I'd be highly suspect of the work on these minis being representative of their final product.

They color them in the 3d modeling software.  Occasionally you get decent ones, but they're not in the top end of PPP minis.

Ohhhhh. Those are 3D renderings? Colorized?*

Never mind then. Let's wait and see what the real world versions look like.

*Does anyone still use that word, coined by I believe, the criminally stupid Turner Network which bought the rights to a b'zillion old black and white movies and decided its modern 1980s audience would be confused by a lack of color and so slapped fake colors over the lovely old prints for broadcast, making them look like horrible old colorized postcards, only moving?

Casablanca in fake color anyone? Turns out in Paris she *didn't* wear blue.

Rant over.

• Like 5

The price already dropped 8 cents more since yesterday for each of the three main books on Amazon, to $39.69.  I'm guessing they will drop a bit more too, and Amazon automatically adjusts the price you pay if you've preordered, to the final price when they fulfill the order.

Edited by zoroaster100
  • Like 2