zoroaster100

Dungeons and Dragons (fifth edition) release

Criticals specifically roll all damage die twice. The brutal crit adds 1 extra dice. Therefore, when you crit with a GS, you roll 4d6 + str mod and with brutal crit it becomes 5d6 + str mod. Greataxe would be 2d12 + str vs 3d12 + str with brutal.

• Like 2

Seems like the axe is the way to go. That seems to imply that Thelgar is my mini of choice. Now help me convince my wife to use my newly acquired Kyrie mini for a PC in our campaign...

With the fighter/paladin its actually backwards. The 2h specialization let's you reroll any 1's and 2's you roll again. Nothing sucks more than rolling snake eyes on GS weapon damage. It's awesome to help you not bottom out on damage.

• Like 2

It does not surprise me. I was actually thinking the 2d6 weapon would outperform at least at low levels for a barbarian as well. For a half-orc, at first level, the axe is 2 points better on average (6 on a max roll) on a crit. That probably doesn't make up for the slightly better damage on non-crits, but it means lots of potential d12s, which seems like they will be fun to roll!

Edited by Talae
  • Like 1

Crits are rare but much more frequent than 3.0/3.5/pathfinder since you don't have to confirm since 4e. Very nice to not "waste" 20's anymore.

Edited by Mr Melons
  • Like 1

"Roll to confirm" was one of the most dreaded, stomach churning phrases.

• Like 1

Crits are rare but much more frequent than 3.0/3.5/pathfinder since you don't have to confirm since 4e. Very nice to not "waste" 20's anymore.

Having to confirm crits in 3rd Ed was infuriating to me. So glad to see that thrown out with the bath water.

I remember the first time I saw a critical hit chart. Some player had 'fixed' the one from Dragon magazine. They had obviously worked very hard on it. They had managed to stretch it out to 1-200 possibilities.

I had not seen the original, semi-official version, I didn't use one. I disliked the things.

I think that poor soul died a little inside when I told him I wasn't going to implement it.

My biggest objection to the one that was presented to me was that it had stuff on it like, #87 "tail amputated" or #123 "two tentacles" removed. It was very detailed. There was a whole section on tentacles.

But what was supposed to happen if the chart said "decapitated" but the foe was a headless ooze creature? or it did not have a tail to amputate? Or the character that got a twenty was using a blunt weapon?

How have they solved such things in 5th edition?

Crits just do more damage. If you roll a 20 on an attack, you get extra damage equal to the weapon's normal damage. So, a greataxe deals 1d12+str mod normally. With a crit, it does 2d12+str mod.

Crits just do more damage. If you roll a 20 on an attack, you get extra damage equal to the weapon's normal damage. So, a greataxe deals 1d12+str mod normally. With a crit, it does 2d12+str mod.

It's more than even this.

Basically, all damage dice are rolled twice, and any modifiers like str or dex or magic are added once. As a result, there will be some truly epic backstabs coming. At first I thought this might be over powered, but rogues only get one attack per round, so it should balance out. A high level warrior is going to crit every 2 to 5 rounds depending on build, whereas the rogue is looking at once every 10 or 20 rounds. Spell damage like hunters mark or the smite line will make for some bigger crits as well.

Any spell with an attack roll is subject to the same rules, so a spell like guiding bolt that does 4d6 on a normal hit does 8d6 on a roll of 20.

I really like the changes to criticals from 4e (it's about the same mathematically, just more randomized). Mostly because not getting to roll dice on a crit kinda took some of the fun out of it. Getting to roll *even more* dice just makes it awesome.

• Like 2

At first I thought this might be over powered, but rogues only get one attack per round, so it should balance out.

They only get one sneak attack per round. But rogues can dual weild as well and sneak attacks work on finesse weapons. So, a human rogue can use 2 shortswords/scimitars and have two attacks (halflings can with daggers) that only one will have sneak damage on. It also works with throwing the daggers as well.