zoroaster100

Dungeons and Dragons (fifth edition) release

Criticals specifically roll all damage die twice. The brutal crit adds 1 extra dice. Therefore, when you crit with a GS, you roll 4d6 + str mod and with brutal crit it becomes 5d6 + str mod. Greataxe would be 2d12 + str vs 3d12 + str with brutal.

Thank you for that clarification.

Crits are rare but much more frequent than 3.0/3.5/pathfinder since you don't have to confirm since 4e. Very nice to not "waste" 20's anymore.

Agreed. 

"Roll to confirm" was one of the most dreaded, stomach churning phrases.

YES!

20 is an auto hit in 3.5 et seq. It doesn't really need to be an auto crit as well.

Plus, depending on weapon and options, it's possible to get a critical threat on 14-20 (though anything other than a nat 20 you need to hit on the dice to have a chance at a crit.) That changes the numbers quite a bit.

Different game; different flavor.

One of my players rolled a crit, then he proceeded to roll snake eyes. lol, funny event, but sucks when that happens.

• Like 1

One of my players rolled a crit, then he proceeded to roll snake eyes. lol, funny event, but sucks when that happens.

:angry: Yes. Yes it does.

• Like 3

Also, can someone help me out with a reading of the rules on Ready actions? Check here for a breakdown of the issue someone has already posted about: http://community.wizards.com/forum/rules-questions/threads/4126517

What exactly aren't you sure of?

Can a low init character ready a trigger that goes off high on the init, but before they act again? This has historically been possible in D&D 3e-4e (and Pathfinder). (for example, my low init Barbarian, init 6, readies an attack when the worg, init 15, moves within range).

Also, can readied actions be done outside of combat?

(for example, my Barbarian stands in front of the cave entrance and goads the worg into coming out while making a readied action to attack when it comes in range).

Also, can someone help me out with a reading of the rules on Ready actions? Check here for a breakdown of the issue someone has already posted about: http://community.wizards.com/forum/rules-questions/threads/4126517

What exactly aren't you sure of?

Can a low init character ready a trigger that goes off high on the init, but before they act again? This has historically been possible in D&D 3e-4e (and Pathfinder). (for example, my low init Barbarian, init 6, readies an attack when the worg, init 15, moves within range).

Also, can readied actions be done outside of combat?

(for example, my Barbarian stands in front of the cave entrance and goads the worg into coming out while making a readied action to attack when it comes in range).

I *think* the round verbiage here is referring to "before your next turn", but it's a bit unclear. The "remember you can only take one reaction per round" is certainly referring to before your next turn. And since it doesn't affect your place in initiative (like ready did in 4e), I see no problem (not that there was one in 4e), with holding it into the next "round".

I would not allow readied actions outside of combat (they're specifically listed in combat actions, but so are attacks and spells). Largely though, I'd prevent it, because in that case it *would* allow the jumping of initiative in a way that is unintended.

Edited by wax_eagle

Finally got around to ordering the Starter set. I really was hoping to find it over in Bend OR when I was over there last month. Alas not to be.

I was gonna order the PhB but I needed like 11 dollars on a amazon order & at the time big A dropped the price to 11.99 + I think my local card shop can order WoTC rpg stuff. He'll give me a 20% discount + no shipping costs.

Looking forward to reading the set. Still gonna be a Pathfinder & S&W fan but heck might as well keep up with D&D.

TGP, there hasn't been a crit chart like that "officially" since 2e Combat and Tactics.

Yep. That was a 1e memory. Sounds like they cleaned it up a bit. 

Not understanding how some characters can do 7 out of 20 rolls as critical?  :huh: ? Cause none of my d20s have more than one 20 face. (I have 1e dice?)

For any that want to read a good 'as he reads it' review of Monster Manual contents, Rob Donoghue is doing one in installments.

http://walkingmind.evilhat.com

His previous entries are on the Player's Handbook are worth reading even if you already own the book (in my opinion of course).

• Like 1

What are your thoughts on hitpoints? Do you guys go for the average? Do you roll? Is it an either/or?

We are contemplating going with advantage on hitpoint rolls.

What are your thoughts on hitpoints? Do you guys go for the average? Do you roll? Is it an either/or?

I let my players choose whether to roll or take the high average. Generally the high average is a safe choice, but if they *want* to roll who am I to stop them. :devil:

for monsters I use what's in the book (the low average IIRC). This keeps me from having to roll and keeps monsters consistent, that's not a big deal, but it speeds up play. I also use average damage for monsters because, again, it's faster.

Advantage on HP rolls would be interesting. Advantage on HP with a d8 HD is effectively a +1 (though it pulls the standard deviation in a bit). To balance this, You might want to strip off the con bonus (or half it) though which would make Con less appealing generally.

• Like 1

I use the books average for monster (for faster play) & dice rolls for players (because boy do they enjoy rolling dice)

With rules I have read up a bunch but I am still confused about the hiding rule. I have gathered that if a creature is hiding they gain advantage on the first attack (maybe surprise / stealth check vs passive perception, if never seen & first to act) but if they rehide and pop out (at the same spot) no advantage because they are seen when they pop out (say a halfling rogue hides behind a party member and keeps popping out and rehiding). If they move while hiding and pop out somewhere else they get advantage again.

Does that sound right?

I intend to have the players roll but with a minimum of the average.  We like some random but aren't interested in playing below average.