zoroaster100

Dungeons and Dragons (fifth edition) release

What are your thoughts on hitpoints? Do you guys go for the average? Do you roll? Is it an either/or?

We are contemplating going with advantage on hitpoint rolls.

I intend to have the players roll but with a minimum of the average. We like some random but aren't interested in playing below average.

My Weds Encounters group has to be by the book, so they have to choose. But my Sun homebrew version of Lost Mines of Phandalar I just go with whichever is higher just like Dragon said he does.

• Like 2

What are your thoughts on hitpoints? Do you guys go for the average? Do you roll? Is it an either/or?

I intend to have the players roll but with a minimum of the average.  We like some random but aren't interested in playing below average.

This will be my intent as well.

Not understanding how some characters can do 7 out of 20 rolls as critical?  :huh: ? Cause none of my d20s have more than one 20 face. (I have 1e dice?)

Was that referring to my comment about 14-20 in D&D 3.5?

If so, that would be using a keen rapier with a class feature that increased the critical threat range by 1. The number rolled would have to actually hit, and then you would have to confirm the critical hit with a successful to-hit roll.

Given the classes that usually use that sort of character, that normally works out to quite a lot less than a 35% chance of a crit.

As I said, different game; different flavor.

I intend to have the players roll but with a minimum of the average.  We like some random but aren't interested in playing below average.

This will be my intent as well.

I used to have a rule that 1st level characters were forbidden to roll a 1 when rolling their hit points. (The dice was required roll again until it followed the rule...so it was as much a rule for the dice as for the characters.)

That could be extended.

The rule could be you must roll 1 more than your level each time you go up --until-- the average value of the HP die is less than the level. So, a new 5th level gets -0- chance of a re-roll,

Do the poor MUs still suffer along with D4s for hit points?

Casters are 1d6 + con mod per level.

In the PHB it basically lets you roll for your hit dice per level or take the high average which is printed. We're basically saying that our intent as DMs is to let players roll and if that roll is less than the high average printed, take the high average instead.

• Like 2

Got my box today. Kinda unimpressed with the contents thou I'm comparing this with the last starter box, Beginners Box Paizo.

Still browsing the books looks like a fun edition.

• Like 1

Got my box today. Kinda unimpressed with the contents thou I'm comparing this with the last starter box, Beginners Box Paizo.

Still browsing the books looks like a fun edition.

Yeah, the only reason to get the starter box is to get the module. You can't get it anywhere else

plus what's up with the missing d10? ie the 100 sider. I mean couldn't they have added a red one or a 10s? I'm sure I have a spare one that is similar to the style as those or heck might just buy one, I mean who needs a reason to buy more dice right? ^_^  I'm a Chessex user so yah they do feel a bit light to use.

Also what is up with the large space behind everything? While I wasn't expecting allot of course for 12 bucks (thou 20 retail) but still. I might get the online rules printed out & just toss those in there to fill the space. I'm not in a hurry to get the hardbacks just yet so that'll tide me over till I do.

plus what's up with the missing d10? ie the 100 sider. I mean couldn't they have added a red one or a 10s? I'm sure I have a spare one that is similar to the style as those or heck might just buy one, I mean who needs a reason to buy more dice right? ^_^  I'm a Chessex user so yah they do feel a bit light to use

Is this? the dice:

2014-07-17+20.52.40.jpg

Use the D20 as the tens digit...  :blues: ...just ignore the spare 1's and the 2 on the 20 face. In the picture above somebody has just rolled 100. (Or a D20 in conjunction with a D10 can produce a D200, so in that case a result of 200.)

Edited by TGP
  • Like 1

I use the starter box to hold the baby's paperwork.

If you are giving the high average or the roll, it is effectively just bonus hit points. So do you run extra damaging campaigns to make up for that? With the game balanced as it is, it is already fairly easy to not die with standard encounters.

I use the books average for monster (for faster play) & dice rolls for players (because boy do they enjoy rolling dice)

With rules I have read up a bunch but I am still confused about the hiding rule. I have gathered that if a creature is hiding they gain advantage on the first attack (maybe surprise / stealth check vs passive perception, if never seen & first to act) but if they rehide and pop out (at the same spot) no advantage because they are seen when they pop out (say a halfling rogue hides behind a party member and keeps popping out and rehiding). If they move while hiding and pop out somewhere else they get advantage again.

Does that sound right?

I don't think hiding as written actually works right now. :( (not the first time certainly, I've heard 3.pf's hiding rules are a mess, and 4e's first pass was awful). The way it's currently written, you have to basically be out of LOS of the monster you're trying to hide from...which likely means *you can't attack either*. That doesn't particularly work for me. If my PCs are going to spend full actions or bonus actions to hide, it needs to actually work.

For now, I'm effectively playing it "if you want to try to hide, tell me you want to, we'll find you a spot in the room (or create one, unless it doesn't make sense), make your stealth role vs passive perception. Having the starter rogue be a halfling helps tremendously here as they can hide in their allies' shadows. When I get a non-halfling rogue, we'll sort out some more general rules.

If you succeed you've got a ranged attack with advantage, if you fail, you don't get adv.

It hasn't come up yet, but going from hidden to melee, I'd give the first attack with adv provided you move directly to the enemy, similar to a charge effect. Probably.

• Like 1

I think it works properly. You have to be out of los to initiate the hide (though for the halfling, that just means passing behind a medium ally), but once hidden you can sneak back into range and attack. Since rogues can use the bonus action to hide, and actions can be broken up however you like, a rogue can move, hide, move and sneak attack every turn. And if the rogue is using ranged attacks, he doesn't need to worry about opportunity attacks. Really, the only place they might suffer is on a big open plain, and a rogue should avoid those when possible.

• Like 2