zoroaster100

Dungeons and Dragons (fifth edition) release

Just started playing again last night after my 4th Edition group fell apart months ago. I have not played enough to say I like 5th better or not but is sure is different. I played 1st edition back when I was a kid and 5th reminds me more of those days. I'm now playing in a D&D League and it sure is nice not haveing to worry if people are going to bail at the last minute and ruin the night.

I have a membership to D&D Insider but I hear that it will not support the new 5th Edition system. At least that's the talk in my new D&D group. I loved using the character creator tool and being able to look up rules questions but if it's not going to have a 5th Edition version then what's the point?

• Like 3

I played 1st edition back when I was a kid and 5th reminds me more of those days.

This is how it feels to me as well. There's an awful lot of rules 'tech' in 5the from 3rd and 4th but the feel is definitely 1st and 2nd ed to me.

Also, and the main reason I'm posting, your chain mail kitty avatar is awesome!

• Like 2

I have a membership to D&D Insider but I hear that it will not support the new 5th Edition system. At least that's the talk in my new D&D group. I loved using the character creator tool and being able to look up rules questions but if it's not going to have a 5th Edition version then what's the point?

Yeah. D&D insider will stay 4e only. DungeonScape will be the 5th edition digital tools. They are due to start a beta very soon (starting on Andriod and PC, though they may also drop the iOS product at the same time).

The way I understand it, DungeonScape is a free app that will have some content for free (likely similar to BD&D), with in app purchases unlocking additional content.

• Like 1

If this has been a answered before then I apologize. What are the thoughts on the monk's 'extra attack' and adding the ability modifier damage? The monk doesn't reference two weapon fighting at all, so I'm inclined to say you can add it on the extra attack and flurry of blows.

If this has been a answered before then I apologize. What are the thoughts on the monk's 'extra attack' and adding the ability modifier damage? The monk doesn't reference two weapon fighting at all, so I'm inclined to say you can add it on the extra attack and flurry of blows.

Yeah, it gets the abil mod, it's not from TWF, it's like the bonus action attack from crossbow expert. Same with flurry, they're attacks with a specific weapon. The TWF bonus action attack is a specific rule that overrules the general attack action.

• Like 2

Yeah. D&D insider will stay 4e only. DungeonScape will be the 5th edition digital tools. They are due to start a beta very soon (starting on Andriod and PC, though they may also drop the iOS product at the same time).

The way I understand it, DungeonScape is a free app that will have some content for free (likely similar to BD&D), with in app purchases unlocking additional content.

That DungeonScape looks really nice from what I have seen. They should make the Insider free because they are not supporting it anymore. It's still works but it will no longer receive updates. An even better ideal would be to let all the people like me who pay for the Insider get all the additional content from the new DungeonScape at no additional cost.

• Like 2

That DungeonScape looks really nice from what I have seen. They should make the Insider free because they are not supporting it anymore. It's still works but it will no longer receive updates. An even better ideal would be to let all the people like me who pay for the Insider get all the additional content from the new DungeonScape at no additional cost.

Yeah, unfortunately I doubt we'll see much of a change in their model for now. They've been pretty clear in stating that the two services will not be related at all. Don't know if they'll ever reduce the cost of DDI or just let it taper and cancel it when subscriptions finally start to get cancelled or what.

I believe they said they will keep the DDI up as long as enough people stay subscribed, in effect they'll keep charging folks until enough people actively kill the reoccurring bill.

Curious adding PC races: How hard is it to add them now in 5e? I mean are the edition similar enough to use a older edition as a guideline.

Any race creation rules in the near future?

Curious adding PC races: How hard is it to add them now in 5e? I mean are the edition similar enough to use a older edition as a guideline.

Any race creation rules in the near future?

I'd anticipate the possibility of something in the DMG.

I'm only familiar with 4e, but it shouldn't be too hard to look at how races are constructed in 5e and develop a fairly close comp for a race from a previous edition (+2 to one stat, +1 to another, a language, a couple or 5 features of varying utility that match the flavor)

• Like 2

Got my PHB yesterday. I'm happy. This feels like DND to me and it seems like every class has it's niche and can contribute.

The cleric of the light domain seems unstoppable; armor, weapons, wizard fire spells, cleric spells, flares of light that cause enemies to have disadvantage. I think I'm in love!

I'm making a 3rd level character for a friend's campaign. He's gonna be a Cleric 2/Monk 1 with his domain being Light. He only uses his fists and all of his spells come from divine tatoos. He does crazy damage, but can still heal. This might be my favorite character so far!

Also, I realized that basically he is Tien from Dragonball Z.....SOLAR FLARES EVERYWHERE!!!!

Edited by Mr Melons
  • Like 1

I admit it's growing on me, though next week I'm going from player to DM. We play without maps and figures, so that's weird to me. But I have to say, at level 1, I'm loving Witch Bolt.

• Like 1

I kind of miss from fourth the ability to go into a group and have that amazing moment where you can attack a squad of enemies. Maybe it's farther levels for most characters in fifth I haven't looked into levels pass three.

Does anyone know if it's possible for all classes and not just the magic casters?

I kind of miss from fourth the ability to go into a group and have that amazing moment where you can attack a squad of enemies. Maybe it's farther levels for most characters in fifth I haven't looked into levels pass three.

Does anyone know if it's possible for all classes and not just the magic casters?

I don't think I understand what you are asking about here. Granted I only glanced briefly at 4th ed.

The mechanics are almost frighteningly simplified. I've been gearing up for a PF campaign, and my last D&D experience was 3.5, and it's so very, very reigned in from all that crunch. Skills are simplified, which I actually kind of like, and the combat was smooth. I just started playing in a 2e campaign--it feels like those mechanics, really. A couple of the players who historically have refused to play any edition above 2e at least appear willing to continue, so, for whatever that's worth.

I played 1st edition back when I was a kid and 5th reminds me more of those days.

This is how it feels to me as well. There's an awful lot of rules 'tech' in 5the from 3rd and 4th but the feel is definitely 1st and 2nd ed to me.

Everything I've quoted sounds very appealing to me. I don't have any of the new edition materials; I've been holding off until I can borrow someone's stuff and look through it.

Would someone mind expounding upon the similarities to 1st/2nd ed for me, please? If this harkens back to a lot of what I liked about those rule sets, I might be inclined to give this a go.

I'd be particularly interested in any input you might be willing to share, Marvin. The last sentence I quoted from you describes me fairly well.

Thanks!