zoroaster100

Dungeons and Dragons (fifth edition) release

$40 for each of the core books is not expensive. Try getting the core Warhammer 40k rulebook for less than $100 (U.S.). Won't happen. Each of the codex books is at least $50, then factor in miniatures.....not even close to being cheap.

/rant over

I MIGHT pick up the core box to check it out, but I'll likely stay with 2nd ed, for DM'ing, and 3.5 for playing.

Brian

$50 is a very reasonable price, it's just people want all three.  I buy a lot of Non-D&D RPG books and that's been the norm for years.  It's just with 3x and 4th wizards purposefully sold the books at a loss to get people to play the game but that's not happening any more.

• Like 2

I still have too much to buy from OD&D, 1st, and 2nd ed. Didn't buy a single thing from 4th, and will likely not be buying these either.

I have a hard enough time trying to get my players to purchase a set of dice, let alone brand new rulebooks.

I wish all the new players and Next Players a fantastic game and new memories, but to be blunt, I will not be joining your ranks.

• Like 5

The 4E books were $40 each and no one I know paid that price for them - MSRP is for suckers.  My FLGS matched amazon.com's price (pretty impressive considering I'm in Canada)  and sold out of 4E in their first week.  Still made profit on them too (but they bought a pretty big pile of books).  I suspect 5E will go a similar route.

Also $150 (not that anyone will end up paying that) is about the price of 4-5 months of cell phone service.  No kid I know over 12 doesn't have a cell phone.

I pay a whole Hell of a lot less than that for an entire year of cell phone service. ($70 for 455 days.)

Mind you, I just go for basic service - and only have the phone for emergencies... but in an emergency I would much rather have a phone than an RPG that does not much interest me....

The Auld Grump

Sorry - I meant smart phone.  And here (in Canada) $40/month is about the industry standard for reliable smart phone service.

Yeah... that does make a difference.... ::P:

But then... I wouldn't pay that much for smart phone service, either - which is why I don't have a smart phone - so my feeling is that neither the smart phone nor 5e are worth that price.... :poke: (Says the guy that shelled out $300+ for Bones miniatures... twice....)

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

$50 is a very reasonable price, it's just people want all three.  I buy a lot of Non-D&D RPG books and that's been the norm for years.  It's just with 3x and 4th wizards purposefully sold the books at a loss to get people to play the game but that's not happening any more.

Hmmm... maybe.  But in my experience a lot of players are deadbeats, so that $50 is coming out of the pocket of the guy who's already funded previous editions and, very likely, all the peripheral game stuff to go with it.  It's also going to be the person who has to buy all 3 core books to play - so, at least insofar as I realistically see it, it is a $150 buy-in. 

(This is also why I've held onto 2nd Edition for so long)

Somehow we've wound up with a surplus of 2e player's handbooks, but they all belong to the mystery trunk and I have no idea where they hail from.  But out of all the players I've played with in 2e, maybe 2 in 10 actually bother to buy their own book.  6 in 10 are at least kind enough to shell out for their own dice. 

• Like 3

Hmmm... maybe.  But in my experience a lot of players are deadbeats.

Tell me about it. The guys I know who make 6+ figures torrent the books. I'm the only one who ever buys them.

• Like 3

Hey, at least your players bother to torrent them. I was nearly two semesters into my current game when a player discovered he was supposed to be adding things to his rolls.

• Like 3

We give donations to the DMs in our group for purchases like modules and maps and books. Everyone gives the DM a few dollars a session or whenever they can. The wife and I alone give 10-12 dollars a month (well worth the entertainment and cheaper than a movie even for just one of us) to our GM for any necessities he might come across. We may even start a 5e book fund. But having every player buy each of the books is a highly unrealistic idea when all you need is one set regardless of whether you have a 6 figure salary or not.

Basically, if you are buying all the books then your group should help you.

Edited by Mr Melons
  • Like 6

My college gaming club had a "games closet" of books and games, a general resource for all the members.

• Like 3

I'm in the wait and see camp. I'm hoping to be able to borrow a copy from someone and read it before I throw $150 at it.

I'm in the "Collector Sucker" camp. It's pretty much guaranteed that I'll buy a copy of the three base books some time between Gencon and the end of the year. My group will undoubtedly give it a whirl. Whether it sticks or not is anybody's guess. (I have looked at a little bit of the play test material, but I haven't really tried it yet.)

• Like 3

I actually have multiple copies of the main book for Palladium Fantasy (2E) and D20 Modern because I wanted to play them and my group weren't willing to invest the money to buy the books.

Of course, I'd also found them on sale.

...and I was still unable to get my regular group to play. I did end up giving the D20 Moderns to friends in a different group who were trying to play the game using only printouts of the SRD.

• Like 2

I have two mostly complete sets of the Alternity books for very similar reasons LK. I got both sets more or less for the price of one so I couldn't get that upset since I wanted to read them anyway.

• Like 2

Basically, if you are buying all the books then your group should help you.

I'm buying all* the books because I wants them. They're precious to me.

Preciousss.

^_^

My game collection is ... largish.

* For some value of "all" that doesn't actually mean "all", but probably "most".

• Like 8

I'd never even bother thinking about this until all the books were out.. Honestly the release schedule, to me, is ridiculous.   This is like I'll give graphics for the web page in June, the text for the web page in August and then I'll give you the code in November.  release them as a boxed set.  Make a special super fancy set for $300 or something and be done with it.

• Like 2

I'd never even bother thinking about this until all the books were out.. Honestly the release schedule, to me, is ridiculous.   This is like I'll give graphics for the web page in June, the text for the web page in August and then I'll give you the code in November.  release them as a boxed set.  Make a special super fancy set for $300 or something and be done with it.

They did the "release everything all at once" for 4e.  The public HATED IT*. The outcry against be "forced" to buy 3 $40 books simultaneously just to play the game was equally as loud, if not louder than the currently cry about the return to the 3.e style return to one book per month.

*People will say that no, it wasn't the release schedule, it was 4e itself, but for the first 3 years of it's life, 4e was in fact the #1 selling RPG book line.  For the next 2 it tied Pathfinder, and it was only 2 years ago that Pathfinder began to outsell 4e at a distribution level consistently.