Sign in to follow this  
zoroaster100

Dungeons and Dragons (fifth edition) release

I will buy the starter as soon as I can. my experience with that will determine when, not if, I buy the other core books.

• Like 2

Well, looks like my gaming group is splitting into two (this happens as peoples jobs change, half the people I've been playing with for 6+ years) and one guy is getting his 5th edition books in a few weeks so I might be running one here before June ends. Going to see if I can get another copy of the phb by then as I hate only having one book.

• Like 1

Well, looks like my gaming group is splitting into two (this happens as peoples jobs change, half the people I've been playing with for 6+ years) and one guy is getting his 5th edition books in a few weeks so I might be running one here before June ends. Going to see if I can get another copy of the phb by then as I hate only having one book.

How?

• Like 2

Review copy for my friend.  Other source has connections.

I use to run a review website back in the 3.x days and Wizards sent us everything for free months ahead of time.  I've got boxes just crammed with 3rd edition books, bins full of their PP Minis and so on.

They really don't have a traditional marketing budget, much like Amazon, is what I'm guessing as they treat established reviewers and websites quite well.

• Like 3

I may look into the starter but for the most part my new rpg system days are over.

I'll stick with Pf & S&W for my gaming needs these days.

Gotta love having no local gaming group.......

• Like 2

I may look into the starter but for the most part my new rpg system days are over.

I'll stick with Pf & S&W for my gaming needs these days.

Gotta love having no local gaming group.......

I hear you on that.

I pre-ordered the Starter Set for $12.66 from Amazon.  I've gotten the starter set for every edition of D&D and judged whether to get the full books based on that.  4e was the only edition I didn't buy the full books for.  Not that I thought it was bad, just not my style of D&D.  I only bought the 3.x books despite not being too crazy about the rules from the starter b/c the people I played with wanted to play it, too.  For me, B/X is my favorite.  Still, for under $13, what's to lose?  Having said that, Amazon had the PHB for $30 so I preordered that, too.

I actually like the way WotC is staggering the releases.  The Starter Set first for everyone to get a taste, then they're doing a free release online of a portion of the PHB so people can use it to "bridge" their way into the actual PHB.  Presumably it will be the part with character creation rules since the Starter Set doesn't include that.  Once everyone's comfortable with that, the DMG will be out (which has a basic selection of monsters and ways to convert previous edition monsters), and finally when everyone's used to the new rules and ready for more, the new MM comes out.  Although it would take a miracle to get me to make any rule system my new favorite over B/X, I have hopes that this will be something neat and bring new players into the hobby.

• Like 3

Here's hoping that - as they did with 3E - the PHB has a section in the back with some monsters and magic items, to help bridge the gap between its release and the DMG/MM.

Unfortunately, I'm expecting them to use their published adventures for that niche; wanna know what a goblin's stats are? Buy this adventure, or wait for the monster manual to drop in three months... :mellow:

Well a lot of the monster stats have been part of the public beta which is easily findable even now. Sure some things will be changing but not enough you couldn't use them.

It seems likely the starter set will have a good assortment of the lower level creatures as well.

Pre ordered starter set! $36 CAD including shipping from my flgs in Vancouver. I'm really like forward to it, 4e is getting a bit blocky. I'm going to start a new campaign with super low level (you start as a race but no class) keep it really simple for the group learning the rules and I imagine I will be back in the the dm seat. I plan to us my campaign setting based on "attack on Titan".

• Like 1

Pre ordered starter set! $36 CAD including shipping from my flgs in Vancouver. I'm really like forward to it, 4e is getting a bit blocky. I'm going to start a new campaign with super low level (you start as a race but no class) keep it really simple for the group learning the rules and I imagine I will be back in the the dm seat. I plan to us my campaign setting based on "attack on Titan".

Will you have a bucket of fake blood near you for added "realism"?

• Like 3