zoroaster100

Dungeons and Dragons (fifth edition) release

Pre ordered starter set! $36 CAD including shipping from my flgs in Vancouver. I'm really like forward to it, 4e is getting a bit blocky. I'm going to start a new campaign with super low level (you start as a race but no class) keep it really simple for the group learning the rules and I imagine I will be back in the the dm seat. I plan to us my campaign setting based on "attack on Titan".

What is in a starter set?

And if you don't mind my asking, did you order it through Imperial Hobbies or somewhere else?

I pre-ordered the Starter Set for $12.66 from Amazon.  I've gotten the starter set for every edition of D&D and judged whether to get the full books based on that.  4e was the only edition I didn't buy the full books for.  Not that I thought it was bad, just not my style of D&D.  I only bought the 3.x books despite not being too crazy about the rules from the starter b/c the people I played with wanted to play it, too.  For me, B/X is my favorite.  Still, for under $13, what's to lose?  Having said that, Amazon had the PHB for $30 so I preordered that, too.

I actually like the way WotC is staggering the releases.  The Starter Set first for everyone to get a taste, then they're doing a free release online of a portion of the PHB so people can use it to "bridge" their way into the actual PHB.  Presumably it will be the part with character creation rules since the Starter Set doesn't include that.  Once everyone's comfortable with that, the DMG will be out (which has a basic selection of monsters and ways to convert previous edition monsters), and finally when everyone's used to the new rules and ready for more, the new MM comes out.  Although it would take a miracle to get me to make any rule system my new favorite over B/X, I have hopes that this will be something neat and bring new players into the hobby.

What is B/X?

What is B/X?

D&D Basic Set Rulebook (B/X ed.) (Basic)

Also, I per-ordered the starter set just now.

Specifically, the 'blue box' Basic. Holmes, I think.

The later 'red box' Basic are usually referred to as BECMI for Basic/Expert/Companion/Master/Immortal. ::):

Pre ordered starter set! $36 CAD including shipping from my flgs in Vancouver. I'm really like forward to it, 4e is getting a bit blocky. I'm going to start a new campaign with super low level (you start as a race but no class) keep it really simple for the group learning the rules and I imagine I will be back in the the dm seat. I plan to us my campaign setting based on "attack on Titan".

Will you have a bucket of fake blood near you for added "realism"?

Thanks to ur great idea I'm going to pick up a blood capsual. I plan to have one of the players come across there home that has been leveled (from the initial attack) and there grandfather is pinned by the by the rubble and gives them the key to the basement (which is also buried) then a monster comes and eats him *** pop blood capsual give last speach of grandfather ***(from the mothers death scene).

I got my box from STRATEGIESGAMES i do love imperial though

Here's what's in the starter

Ideal for a group of 4 – 6, the Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set includes a 64-page adventure book with everything the Dungeon Master needs to get started, a 32-page rulebook for playing characters level 1 – 5, 5 pregenerated characters, each with a character sheet and supporting reference material, and 6 dice.

Also mikes twitter says you will be able to make your own characters at the same time as release but not from the starter so I'm guessing some online tool like the char builder on dnd insider

• Like 1

It sounds like Wizards is going to be releasing a free PDF of the core of the rules.  Only 4 classes and races, but they intimate that they will be expanding the free PDFs.  They call it Basic DnD

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20140527

Depending on how complete it is, this may be a good idea.  I wasn't planing on giving 5th Ed a shot, unless I had a group that wanted to play (right now I don't).  However, if they make the rules available for free, I could see myself downloading them just to see what was under the hood.  And if they're good......that may be what hooks me and others.

• Like 7

I already have a good idea of what to expect of 5th ed. from participating in the playtest. Nevertheless, I'm excited to see what will be in "Basic D&D" but I'm even more curious to see what's NOT in it. How the basic rules set differs from the advanced rules set should prove very enlightening.

• Like 5

So they are saying that the basic rules and the free pdf are all you will ever need to play. It is certainly an interesting way to answer complaints they are too expensive. I wonder how extensive the basic set monster list will be. I'm guessing it won't be too substantial, but if they have any sort of conversion rules (the Next monsters in the play tests seemed pretty close to 1e/2e versions) then they might actually be right. At a minimum, it makes entry to the system very affordable, any DM could pick up the basic set, try it out then have plenty of time to decide whether they want to invest more.

Edited to add: It isn't just the players handbook. They will be releasing basic free pdf versions of the monster manual (expanded monster list) and dmg (magic items, wilderness rules, etc.) to coincide with the full release. They are also adding free rules as needed with module releases if there are any needed to cover the module play.

Edited by Suden
  • Like 6

I think it was a great idea that they are offering the basic rules for free.  So it looks like the starter set will be basically a low level adventure, pregens and rules for creating basic characters (4 basic races, 4 basic classes) through the first five levels, plus dice.  To advance through level 20 you can use the free online rules available starting in July.  Then when the Player's Handbook comes out, they'll make additional basic rules content available online that allows DMs to run adventures.  Published adventures will have all you need to run them with the free online rules.  If a DM wants more monsters they can get the Monster Manual in September, and for optional rules and DM guidance, they can get the DM's Guide in November.

• Like 4

I'd actually be interested in getting a physical copy of those basic rules. They sound pretty good.

Mike Mearls said on twitter just today that they 'might' look into a print on demand service for the Basic Rules if there is enough interest.  I'd email him at WotC if that is what you really want.  I will just likely print out the Basic Rules myself and go with that (yay cheap laser printer - 7 years old and still works like a champ!)

• Like 4

I'll do what I've been doing with rpg books I have in pdf. I'll take em to Staples print em in b & w, spiral bind & get a color cover with a clear cover. Along with a solid colored back cover. Pretty simple but they are nice to thumb through. I did this with the S&W rules, one of my favorite books to thumb through now :)

• Like 4

The release schedule baffles me. Why release the DM Guide last? It sets back fully playable games to 2015 (fully playable 5th edition games, that is). After giving 4th edition a very wide birth, I'm curious, but I'm already seeing some more poor decisions made by WotC. Has to be foreshadowing  :blink:

• Like 1

The release schedule baffles me. Why release the DM Guide last? It sets back fully playable games to 2015 (fully playable 5th edition games, that is). After giving 4th edition a very wide birth, I'm curious, but I'm already seeing some more poor decisions made by WotC. Has to be foreshadowing  :blink:

Depends on what's going to be in the DMG. If it's like the Pathfinder DMG, then it's mostly just advice on DMing and building encounters and adventures - nice, useful, not necessary. If it's like the 3E (and I think 4E) DMGs with all of the freaking magic items in it, then this is a definite setback.
  • Like 1