zoroaster100

Dungeons and Dragons (fifth edition) release

They are giving out the rules for free! What's not to like. Out with the old in with the new I say

• Like 7

I for one am definitely looking forward to 5th. I've been running the regular Wednesday D&D Encounters. I was a fan of 3rd, a fan of 4th and now I wont be turning back when 5th comes out. I see that it brings a lot to the game, it offers a lot of flexibility both in the rules and in its ability to tell fun stories (both as players and DMs) and is robust enough to not break down under the flexibility it offers.

I dont see a problem with the price point for the books. I have seen the reasons  they've said why they are doing it (it makes sense and they are covering their bases with the BASIC D&D option so that your not out in the cold waiting for all three just to run/play a game). For that matter we've not had any significant D&D product for almost 2 years now so its not like they've been gouging us with mostly meaningless purchases for the last two years.  The releases of the books are actually going to be spaced about 6 weeks apart. Combined with how they re-inventing/launching their organized play program their should be quite a bit of free material for people to utilize with the Basic D&D while waiting for Monster Manual and DMG.

The DMG from what I heard will include additional player and campaign options (such as I heard Player Race: Warforged) will be in the book and not just a tell your GMs how to run games. Do not know the full scope of this but it appears to focus on options to expand your campaign so definitly something to look forward to not just for GMs.

I am excited for GenCon as well cause I got into the All Access Pass event and they said I'd be getting a 'Yet unannouced product' (this the Sunday before they announced the product schedule) so I may not have to worry bout buying that one.   All in all I think 5th has a lot to offer everyone from all editions, especially those who did not like the later editions. They've learned much from 3rd and 4th edition thanks to the open playtest they learned what people really wanted (not just what some complained about).

• Like 3

Meh... I play all games.

As a DM I love how easy 4th Ed is... admittedly... there are also a lot of "house rules" and "relaxed rules" due to quite a few new players.

I'm going to play 5th Ed... sooner or latter.  However making decisions on which will be my primary game (if any) will come latter.

Right now I play in 2 x 2nd Ed games (regular), 1 x basic game (irregular), 1 x 1st Ed game (irregular) and DM a 4th Ed game (will be switching onto playing in 4th Ed game when its swappies turn with the other DM).

For me there is no RIGHT GAME or WRONG GAME... (though you do need to ensure you are using the right rules and dice roll for the game you are playing).

• Like 8

The only thing bugging me so far is Amazon.ca doesn't have the starter set available. It has all the other new releases available as preorders. ::P:

• Like 1

Well, I did it.

I went ahead and pre-ordered the Player's Handbook from Amazon. The price was good, and it will let me get some idea of the game. I'll get back to the other books eventually, but I might be able to save up some store credit at my FLGS and get one "free" by then.

ENWorld just posted the table of contents from the Starter Set and I have to admit that I really like the art.  It's a nice homage to the Red Box days while still looking different.  I'm glad the 3.x/4e art style has pretty much been abandoned.  It reminded me too much of anime style art and was just too busy for my tastes.  July 15th can't get here soon enough.

• Like 1

And a few minutes later the D&D Facebook page "magically" releases the exact same pics....

To be fair, it was on WOTC's site as the Daily D&D last night or early this morning.

Edited by wax_eagle

I've enjoyed each edition of D&D to date when it came out and for a time thereafter.  At first I was very skeptical of D&D Next, but I like what I'm hearing about it and we enjoyed the playtest.  Still will need to try it in practice to see how we like it.  I'm going to run a game for my players using the Starter Set and Basic rules (which will be available for free online starting July 3rd).

I'm mostly curious but cautious...we tried one episode for the game day of last season's D&D Encounters...and we did not like it...but...maybe,just MAYBE they'll flesh it out more...also: I hope they don't pull stupid crap with "You must pay $15 a month unless you wanna pen and paper your character sheet instead of a builder"

• Like 1

I am planning on skipping 5th - not a bad game, from what I have seen, but I like Pathfinder better. (It is the skill system that bothers me most... I value ranks higher than ability scores.)

Throw in the lack of an OGL.. and I'm done.

The scary thing is that, because of the backwards compatibility, there will be products done for Pathfinder that can be used with 5e. Publishers have no reason to support 5e - but they don't need to. A lot of supporting material for Pathfinder can be ported over.

That backwards compatibility puts 5e head and shoulders above 4e for me - it does not make me want to stomp around fuming like 4e did, so at least it has that going for it.

The Auld Grump, while typing this my hindbrain has been filking -

My life goes on, in endless pong,

Despite folks lamentation.

I bear the damp and fragrant hum,

Of heavy perspiration.

Through all the tumult I am rife,

I really should stop drinking...

I should take up the noble goal,

How can I keep from stinking?

Why do you do this to me, brain? What did I ever do to you?

• Like 3

The release schedule baffles me. Why release the DM Guide last? It sets back fully playable games to 2015 (fully playable 5th edition games, that is). After giving 4th edition a very wide birth, I'm curious, but I'm already seeing some more poor decisions made by WotC. Has to be foreshadowing  :blink:

Depends on what's going to be in the DMG. If it's like the Pathfinder DMG, then it's mostly just advice on DMing and building encounters and adventures - nice, useful, not necessary. If it's like the 3E (and I think 4E) DMGs with all of the freaking magic items in it, then this is a definite setback.

The DMG is considered optional. There is nothing in it that is necessary for running 5e.  It will contain a variety of optional modules, but it will also contain (I believe) some additional races.  Warforged maybe? I'm forgetting.  So probably most groups will want a copy.  

Also, the PHB will not contain any DM info or Monster info within itself, but these will be added to the free "core" PDF when the PHB is released.  So people will want to have that PDF even if they buy the PHB.  (I assume, as with the core being a subset of the PHB, these will be subsets of the DMG and MM, which is why they won't be in the PHB.) 

They are giving out the rules for free! What's not to like. Out with the old in with the new I say

What's not to like?

The complete lack of any information about the third party license, or even if there will be one.

And a skill system that is a distinct throwback to 2nd ed.. (Okay if you like it, but I do not.)

I find it interesting that WotC has outsourced the writing of the first several adventures to a third party publisher - Kobold Press is writing The Tyranny of Dragons - rather than having them written in house.

The Auld Grump, despite 5e not HAVING a third party license at launch....

*EDIT* Skipping 5e, the lack of a license clinches it.

I still like it better than 4e - but....

Edited by TheAuldGrump

I don't want to get into an argument here (if I was interested in that, WOTC's forum has a LOOOOOONG contentious post on the subject), but there will be *something* If you haven't read this yet, it has a summary of what we know now (an announcement in the fall around the time the DMG drops, with details in the spring). Obviously we don't know if it will be an OGL or an app-store model (or something else entirely). But rumors that there will be no OGL at all seem to be overblown. (but I'm not a TPP so that's not my area either). Feel like it's best to wait until the announcement in the Fall at least to make a judgment though.

• Like 1

And a few minutes later the D&D Facebook page "magically" releases the exact same pics....

To be fair, it was on WOTC's site as the Daily D&D last night or early this morning.

WOTC has been previewing the art for a while now.

I'm mostly curious but cautious...we tried one episode for the game day of last season's D&D Encounters...and we did not like it...but...maybe,just MAYBE they'll flesh it out more...also: I hope they don't pull stupid crap with "You must pay $15 a month unless you wanna pen and paper your character sheet instead of a builder"

This has been one of my gripes about D&D ever since Hasbro took the reins. 

WOTC used the license to make money. Fine. I can appreciate that, and no one's making me buy product at gunpoint. I bought the books, I bought some product, and I certainly bought minis. That was okay. I did not buy all the honkin' splatbooks, though, and that was okay, too.

But then, with Fourth Edition, there seemed to be a built in money creep. No more of these softback splatbooks -- you want more? You buy it in hardback. This included books of adventure seeds, things that really should have been released in softback at a lower price point. And then there were those dratted cards. I never thought about character paperwork much until they began offering decks of cards to help you keep track of all your "powers." And don't even get me started on tokens for marking buffs and DOTs. It seemed to me like the game had been deliberately engineered to allow for opportunities to sell you product that wasn't ABSOLUTELY necessary to buy... BUT...

And then Gamma World came out, and proved it: the idea is to keep selling you subsidiary product forever.

Yeah, yeah, I know... this has been around, to some extent, since Second Edition, but Fourth just seemed more MERCENARY about it. Pathfinder, on the other hand, wants to sell me splatbooks and adventure path stuff, sure, but they offered it all in PDF format, and it just seemed (a) engineered more as an option rather than a necessity, and (b) less aggressively marketed. Less all up in my face.

The fastest way to send me running away will be if they carry this attitude over to Fifth Edition. And they have not impressed me with these "Collector's Edition" figure packs selling for prices that would scare Games Workshop.

Hasbro is used to toys and toy trends. They've sold millions of G.I. Joes and similar items... but you know what? Dungeons and Dragons is never going to make those kinds of numbers, and if they're going to try to MAKE it make that sort of money, they're really better off either selling off the trademark, or branching it out. I'd bet they could make a fortune with a D&D animated show, leading to action figures and playsets. Even if it wasn't fit for a grownup to watch.

EDIT: Hasbro's "Lego Ripoff" division, Kreo, did produce a series of Dungeons and Dragons not-Lego figures and playsets. I have several of the figures, and think they're great. I also think they would sell a hell of a lot better if they were better marketed, and offered something OTHER than the same little partial castles and fortifications that every other Lego ripoff outfit (and even Lego itself) offers. Why does a Dungeons and Dragons toy series contain no dungeons... and no dragons? At least they had Driz'zt and Wulfgar...

What's not to like?

The complete lack of any information about the third party license, or even if there will be one.

And a skill system that is a distinct throwback to 2nd ed.. (Okay if you like it, but I do not.)

I find it interesting that WotC has outsourced the writing of the first several adventures to a third party publisher - Kobold Press is writing The Tyranny of Dragons - rather than having them written in house.

The Auld Grump, despite 5e not HAVING a third party license at launch....

*EDIT* Skipping 5e, the lack of a license clinches it.

I still like it better than 4e - but....

Meh. D&D never had a license before. I can appreciate a little greed on their part, as far as not wanting other companies making dough on their turf. It's HASBRO, after all, and you can trust a huge corporation to act like a huge corporation.

On the other hand, the Grump has a point about the skill system. But that's largely a matter of personal preference.

It DOES bug me to think they're farming out important writing and construction details to a third party outfit, though. On the other hand... how much of an in-house department do they HAVE? Still, I think I'd rather see it farmed out to people who care and will do it right, if their own people can't manage it.

In other news, yesterday was Free RPG Day, and I went out to two different game stores and netted plenty swag. Why didn't WOTC have anything? In the past, they've had interesting and noteworthy goodies, including a limited edition figure. This year... the year they're relaunching their flagship RPG... NOTHING.

Why?

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 5