Sign in to follow this  
zoroaster100

Dungeons and Dragons (fifth edition) release

It turns out the Indigo email wasn't in error, I got the starter set in the mail today.

I have only skimmed the books so far, but they look good. 27 monsters in the back of the adventure module, which is 64 pages and supposed to take characters from level 1 to 5. Magic items are in the adventure module as well. No tables or anything, presumably they are the items found in the module. It reminds me of old style modules like The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. 

The rule book is only 32 pages, but contains no race or class info. It has getting started info, ability and skill checks, combat, movement, rewards, equipment, spell casting and spell lists, etc., and an appendix of conditions. There are 5 character sheets for 1st level characters, wizard, cleric, rogue and two fighters (one melee type, one archer). All info on race, class and leveling are on the back of each character sheet. Character sheets are pretty simple, but they do contain some interesting flavor elements, with boxes for personality traits, ideals, bonds, flaws on the front, and each character has a personal goal on the back. They have nice little alignment write ups on the character sheets as well. They are not named, but the race section has an overview of common names to help players decide.

• Like 3

Lucky! Sounds amazing. Hope to get mine any day now. This week we are playing our last 4e game hopefully ever and I have painted nethyrmaul

Funniest_Memes_someone-is-going-to-die_1

• Like 4

It turns out the Indigo email wasn't in error, I got the starter set in the mail today.

I have only skimmed the books so far, but they look good. 27 monsters in the back of the adventure module, which is 64 pages and supposed to take characters from level 1 to 5. Magic items are in the adventure module as well. No tables or anything, presumably they are the items found in the module. It reminds me of old style modules like The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. 

The rule book is only 32 pages, but contains no race or class info. It has getting started info, ability and skill checks, combat, movement, rewards, equipment, spell casting and spell lists, etc., and an appendix of conditions. There are 5 character sheets for 1st level characters, wizard, cleric, rogue and two fighters (one melee type, one archer). All info on race, class and leveling are on the back of each character sheet. Character sheets are pretty simple, but they do contain some interesting flavor elements, with boxes for personality traits, ideals, bonds, flaws on the front, and each character has a personal goal on the back. They have nice little alignment write ups on the character sheets as well. They are not named, but the race section has an overview of common names to help players decide.

That sounds nearly exact to what I have heard and seen online for what the Starter Set is supposed to be. Quick n' simple pick and play game that will have you in the thick of adventuring in less than an hour. Could WotC *finally* have broken their streak of craptacular Starter Sets?!

And the character creation rules are supposed to be online today over at www.wizards.com

I might have our group try this out at our session next weekend.

Any opinion on how good the starter set is yet?

The adventure looks like it could be brutal depending on how your party plays it. We're going to run through it tomorrow.

So far there is only one change I don't like.They changed the amount of time a short rest is, from 15 mins to an hour. You might not think it a big thing, but in a dungeon where you will want to rest after lots of fights it will mean taking less short rests. As a fighter, this means most of their abilities can't be recharged as easily as well.

Edited by Mr Melons
  • Like 1

So far there is only one change I don't like.They changed the amount of time a short rest is, from 15 mins to an hour. You might not think it a big thing, but in a dungeon where you will want to rest after lots of fights it will mean taking less short rests. As a fighter, this means most of their abilities can't be recharged as easily as well.

See, that's one of the things I DO like. I found the idea of "healing surges" to be flatly absurd. "Spend a healing surge," and you just, suddenly, get a bunch of hitpoints back? Man, back in the day, we used to have to swill healing potions to do that? And HOW do you do it, precisely? Do you just stand there and... um... flex, or something?

807441e1d91707b5276b272d3aaaeaa0.jpg

• Like 6

Healing surges are still there, they are called differently now. Surges are just a representation of bandaging yourself up or treating minor injuries, eating/drinking. It's just a mechanic to not force people to always have a cleric or other healer.

Healing Surges were just as abstracted as Hit Points.  I liked the mechanic because it prevented you from swilling an infinite supply of healing potions.  It was a finite resource you had to manage.  And it didn't require a cleric to utilize.  There were multiple ways to use them.  Swilling potions, getting a heal spell, catching your breath and adrenalin surging (Second Wind - or as our dwarves called it, Second Turn), bandaging a wound or slapping some dirt on it, etc.

• Like 1