Sign in to follow this  
Mocha

Mocha's Minis

photo-22-tulh.JPG

It's hard to tell which one is Bones, right?? Mine's the Bones version and his is the pewter version-- though the biggest difference is the runes on the cleaver. I'll put them both in the mail on Monday and then they'll be on their way to Washington.

Last question though-- should I seal this Bones mini with an anti-shine sealant spray? I know they're flexible, so I'm not sure if that's necessary and/or recommended?

:wub:  I could tell. It's real obvious. 

Wish I had some advice for you on the anti-shine spray ... but I have never used it on a Bones mini. In the absence of knowledge I would be tempted to try MSP Brush-On-Sealer.

• Like 2

:wub:  I could tell. It's real obvious. 

LOL And I mean no offense to my friend's original mini or Bones in general-- only that, in my flawed assumption, I thought the Bones minis would always stand out as the cheaper, plastic version no matter what. While I was initially frustrated getting used to their bendy, hydrophobic, less-detailed nature, they have much more potential than I expected! I still prefer the pewter versions for minis I'd spend an exorbitant amount of time painting, but I'm officially a Bones believer. When I look at the before & after, my brain still can't quite wrap around it! 

77013_w_1-h65c.jpgphoto-22-qf2y.JPG

[edited to fix link]

Edited by Mocha
  • Like 11

Fantastic paintjob, Mocha! I'm just now catching up on your minotaur, and you've made me want to copy this color scheme. I'm sure your friend will love it!

As far as the sealer goes, I haven't had any issues with my painted bones and sealer--there's so much paint on there that the sealer never touches bare bones by the time I'm done. Especially if you think he'll be seeing some game play, I'd go ahead and give him a light coating, just to avoid any rub-off issues with the upper paint layers.

Looking forward to seeing the next project!

• Like 2

I'd seal, but i am paranoid from the rough handling i have seen wargaming minis take over the years.

Love the scheme, some of the nicest white i have seen on a beast.

As far as sealing goes: yes. I use the Testors Dullcote matte spray on all my figs when done. Just a few quick passes is all you need to protect the paint job.

I've never used spray sealer so not sure how it coats. However, I use Reaper brush on sealer thinned down a multi-coat it (usually 3 coats). I've throw that figure around the room and it hasn't lost a single cm of paint. For safety I'd wrap each in a paper towel and bubble wrap so they don't rub each other.

• Like 1

I really like the muzzle as well. Looks great! Overall, an excellent job.

The gold NMM could use a few white hot spots.

Yes, sealing with a varnish would be a good idea.

Ron

There's no way that will see any play time.

Because it will be in his display cabinet.

Unless it's a bust or large scale mini that was never meant for play, I consider all my minis candidates for play. What's the point of all this if I can't play with them? (yes, yes, I'm going back to the players corner . . .)

Best way I've found for shipping painted minis is wrap them in a plastic grocery bag (non abrasive). after that you can use more grocery bags, paper towels, expired coupons etc. 

• Like 2

When I buy minis that I want to love and squeeze and call them George, I generally get metal.

When I buy minis for actual tabletop use, I might get metal, or I might get Bones.

When I buy one of those huge honkin' giants or massive dragons or something that would give you a hernia to pass around the table? It's durn handy to have the Bones alternative. The bigger they get, the more the detail pops, regardless of whether you're dealing in metal or Bones. And my lord, the price point is a thing to save the hobby.

In other news, I've had very good luck sealing with brush on gloss sealer, letting it cure for a day or so, and then using matte clear coat to kill the shine. Works fine, and no tackiness.

• Like 4

When I buy minis that I want to love and squeeze and call them George, I generally get metal.

Doesn't that hurt...? :devil: