Sign in to follow this  
Mocha

Mocha's Minis

Alright, here's where we're at after tonight's painting session:

photo-2.JPG 

photo-1.JPG

First, I tried to re-familiarize myself with which Reaper paint colors I'd used on his skin tone and trying to get it to match. That took far longer than expected. Once I figured it out, I still felt like it looked flat. While I had initially meant for him to be a stony-grey, I figured I'd give him a glaze in Clear Green and WOAH did it make a difference! After that, I tried bringing up the highlights on his skin even more & smooth out the blends. Then I attempted to give to outside of his wings a leathery look-- I'm not quite there, but I'll figure it out.

Since everything looked so nice and green, I re-did his eyes from scratch to be a bright, glowy green. Not a huge change from the previous bright blue Surf Aqua, but I think it makes a difference. 

After that, I worked really hard on the stone column runes. I attempted to bring up the brightest white/yellow highlight and really make it pop. I tried to blend the crap out of it and have to say, that part turned out way better than expected! My favorite part of the mini so far. 

Then I painted a rough base coat on the metal chainmail-ish armor (armor is my Kryptonite & the main reason minis go unfinished). I added a touch of Ghost White to the mix and outlined the armor panels. (I also ran out of paint so I had to resort to Brown Liner for his kneecap and bracer. That'll be fixed later).

Lastly, I painted a touch of red to the eyes on the chest plate skull and the gems on the lower part of the armor panels & dagger hilt. I also flattened the orange sunburst on his kneecap since I'm not sure I want that to match any colors in the runes. Jury's still out on that. 

So that's pretty much what I've got for tonight! (By the way, I readily admit I need a decent camera. My iPhone will work for now until I get better at this and can justify saving up for that investment). Thanks for bearing with me! Constructive criticism, techniques & tips are welcome. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have as I go along. Until next time!  ::D:

• Like 16

Oh, right-- another part I'm stumped on: the loincloth thing. It's shown on both the front & back of the sculpt and I have no idea what color to paint it. My initial thought was a muted red, but with him being green, he'll look like a Keebler Elf on Christmas. I thought maybe a brown/rust color but I'm afraid that would compete too much with the runes... I got nothin'  :mellow:

Oh, right-- another part I'm stumped on: the loincloth thing. It's shown on both the front & back of the sculpt and I have no idea what color to paint it. My initial thought was a muted red, but with him being green, he'll look like a Keebler Elf on Christmas. I thought maybe a brown/rust color but I'm afraid that would compete too much with the runes... I got nothin'  :mellow:

Green

Deep Dark "Lincoln" Green GH.gifLN.gif

Nice work!

As far as the loincloth goes, I could see a nice orange (similar to the yellow-orange of the runes but with a bit more red) tying the whole composition together.  I think it could unify all of the accent colors while still keeping them distinct.

• Like 3

Nice! The clear colors are magic! And those runes are rockin. Kuro's on to something with a reddish orange, that would do nicely with the accents you've got going. Maybe something in the neighborhood of rust brown as a starting off point?

• Like 1

Your pictures look fine to me. I'm a big fan of "If it's not broken, don't fix it."

This looks amazing. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I would go desaturated orange (so when you were thinking about a rust color, looks like that same brainwave).

If it ends up competing too much with the runes, you can alter its hue by glazing purple in the shadows and then blue, to make it colder. 

Other than that, looks great so far. Are you familiar with the concept of edge highlighting? It seems to me those shapes in the armour could really use a strong edge highlight, so that then you can evaluate is further work is needed... but that highlight would both define points of light and up the volumes nicely, without a LOT of extra blending (I am talking about the non-chainmally edges).

• Like 3

I like the cool feel to him, but be wary that I also favor pretty tight analogous color palettes :) When receiving critique, always be wary of the bias of the critic!

So I'd probably lean towards a blue for the cloth, but I can see where using a desaturated orange would tie in some of the existing warm tones, especially at the back of the mini where you lose that color.

You paint so smooth I hesitate to suggest! But I think the old saw of more contrast comes into play. Maybe a nice subtle glaze of nightshade purple into the deepest shadows and some subtle lining for definition and dramatic effect - the wing ribs and some of the deeper muscle cuts.

Do some looking into how nmm light sourcing and shading works, it should help move you through the armor. People like my nmm, but it's a slog for me every time.

• Like 5

Thank you so much for everyone's comments & tips!

After a long weekend out of town, I'm back and have the next step in my mini progression. I added the muted orange for the loincloth-- loved that idea! I also gave the skin a super-subtle wash in Nightshade Purple (Thanks, @CashWiley!) The dark wash on the outer wings isn't quite even-- I'll need to fix that. Next I'll tackle the armor and try to pull more contrast from the skin. Nails & weapons will be last! Now off to play a game of Magic... 

photo-1-t5kv.JPG

photo-2-u0cu.JPG

I really like the color of the loincloth from the back-- the front could use some more differentiation from the runes. I may try to put some more red into the loincloth and/or boost the color saturation of the runes. I'll be out of town tomorrow but I hope to have another set of pictures on Wednesday night. See you then!

Edited by Mocha
  • Like 15

You know those days where you feel like you just painted forever and you seem to have so little to show for it? Yeah, that was tonight.

I spent an exorbitant amount of time on the wings trying to create a leathery effect. I also added an additional round of highlights on the skin and a few more super-subtle washes of Nightshade Purple in the shadows. Finally, I tried to further differentiate the loincloth from the runes without having the loincloth look dirty & muddled. The back of his left arm still befuddles me. I'm afraid to put too many highlights in it since it looks pretty wrinkly & distracts me from the smoothness of the rest of his skin. I plan to go back in later and touch up the highlights on the upper portions of his back left elbow & his fingers. 

After that, I've gotta tackle the armor & weapons. Seriously. 

photo-1-5ce8.JPGphoto-2-hyx4.JPG

• Like 14

I am starting to hate you.

Consider that a compliment.

if she didn't have such an infectious grin, I would be inclined to join you in that sentiment.

• Like 4