Sign in to follow this  
Humansquish

100 Minis 100 Days Challenge

Inspired by Pixels amazing progress in her noob thread, and reading that in order to start to get good at something to do it 100 times in the shortest amount of time I decided to try something crazy. I'm going to try to paint 100 minis in 100 days to work on improving my blending. I'm going to start on May 23rd and see how many I can get done by August 31st.

Below are the 100 minis. Some of them have a little work done already, I am declaring that to be ok. I'm not really going to work on bases, that will be later since I am concentrating on blending.

post-1713-0-82077000-1400565832_thumb.jpg

I recently finished Fulumbar, he will by my "before" work. I might even work on taking better pictures through this.

post-1713-0-98608300-1400566046_thumb.jpg

post-1713-0-96841400-1400566061_thumb.jpg

I'll probably be asking for suggestions on color schemes for some of these. First off, what are 3-4 of the worst colors/schemes to put on a mini?

• Like 13

This is very ambitious. I take it that you're not employed? 

I don't know that there's a bad color scheme, unless it is using too many colors at once. When speed painting like this, trying to just get figures done, it's not in your best interests to have a complicated color scheme. Likewise you don't want too much on your palette, just one or two shades of each color. 

Paint like figures at the same time. You can do 4 orcs or goblins faster than you can do 4 different character figures. 

Know when to quit. If you have hand pain stop for the day and take an ibuprofen and rest. 

• Like 5

Ambitious!

Define "worst?" A lot of people have trouble with yellow, orange, and white...

Yeah...I would try not to have more than one of these three colors or red on a single mini.

For color schemes, for a speed paint like this, I would try to do no more than five colors on a mini: skin, Brown, metal, main color, secondary color.

Good luck! Have fun!

• Like 2

Worst color schemes? Well... I know there's some sort of weird color theory thing that's supposed to stick them together, but the opposite colors are hard to do well. Red/Green looks Christmassy, Blue/Orange makes you look like a Mets fan, and Yellow/Purple is the most ungodly color pairing in the world... Green/Purple's pretty bad, too - it's very cliche comic book villain...

Of course, I've seen exceptions to all of those (except Yellow/Purple, interestingly. Never met anyone who made that work. And Blue/Orange is proably the easiest...) But those are the least attractive IMO.

Yeah...I would try not to have more than one of these three colors or red on a single mini.

For color schemes, for a speed paint like this, I would try to do no more than five colors on a mini: skin,.....

For some people, they would break your five colors max on just the skin lol.

• Like 1

This is very ambitious. I take it that you're not employed? 

Maybe a teacher with summers off? I know if I was still in the classroom, I would try something like this. What else am I going to do? Plan for the upcoming school year? Humbug!

reading that in order to start to get good at something to do it 100 times in the shortest amount of time

Never heard of this theory. I've heard of the 10,000 hours rule, but never 100 rapid repetitions. Time for some googling . . .

• Like 1

Worst color schemes? Well... I know there's some sort of weird color theory thing that's supposed to stick them together, but the opposite colors are hard to do well. Red/Green looks Christmassy, Blue/Orange makes you look like a Mets fan, and Yellow/Purple is the most ungodly color pairing in the world... Green/Purple's pretty bad, too - it's very cliche comic book villain...

The cult of Purple and Teal will now be coming for you.  Resistance is futile...

• Like 5

The cult of Purple and Teal will now be coming for you.  Resistance is futile...

This ^^^

I'm all about the purple and teal!  There are plenty of fabulous examples of that combo around here. ::D:  

As long as your paints aren't being a pain, purple and yellow, as well as purple and green (all on the same model, no less), can absolutely be done.  

And, currently trending on the boards, Corporea is showing us that blue and orange can be absolutely stunning.

I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't discount anything out of hand - you'd be surprised what colors will work.  Keep your palette simple from model to model to make your life easier, but switch it up as you go - it'll help you make it through 100 models without getting bored.  

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

• Like 4

I'm employed, I'm just an anti social single person so I have lots of time in the evenings & weekends.

Purple & yellow are on the list, need 2 more ugly colors or schemes to put on a mini.

• Like 1

If you don't mind a theme instead of a particular color, I've been thinking of doing a mini inspired by the color of restroom tiles.

You know, that sort of pastel, grubby color?

Sometimes it's yellow(ish), sometimes it's pink(ish), sometimes it's exotic - but that might be a fun color to try for. Good for washes, too - a few layers of sienna or umber and it'll look almost as grotty as actual tiles!

My school's are pink, with tan floors. It's hideous, and I love it. I'm planning on using ginger cookie and breast cancer pink (of course, your local colors may vary).

• Like 1

I'm employed, I'm just an anti social single person so I have lots of time in the evenings & weekends.

Purple & yellow are on the list, need 2 more ugly colors or schemes to put on a mini.

Mix primary colors like bright red and blue with some pastels. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't think it would really be a problem as long as you keep to a schedule. There are some historical mini painters that would wonder why we all aren't painting 100 figures every two weeks.

• Like 2