A Discussion About Show Off Threads

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to go for the many WIP's but for me, I find it is easier to have one, where I can get more advice, more suggestions as I work on various things. That said, if it would be preferred, I am perfectly willing to go back to multiple WIP threads. though I like to think I am not going to be one that needs much checking over by the mods. I know the no nudity and no trade rules, and I don't do grotesque so I can't think of anything i would do that would cause issues. Still, I am content to do whatever is best.

• Like 4

As ever, the below is my own experience and opinion, based on my own self-observed behavior.

I generally agree with Sarge. While I do appreciate the consolidated WiP threads' ability to showcase a painter's growth over time, consolidated show off threads typically result in me not paying any attention at all. I didn't read the first post, so if I click now, I find myself with a dozen pages of catch up, so I now ignore that thread entirely. And I know there's cool stuff, but I ignore it anyway. And, though I see the utility, WiP threads actually do the same thing for me.

To be honest, I had no idea Pixel had made the kind of progress she had until I saw her work at Reapercon, because I simply hadn't kept up with her WiP thread. And that's sad for me, because I didn't see the journey, and sad for Pixel, because her learning wasn't often bolstered by my incredible insight and impeccable expertise (haha). The same is true for Cash's and Corporea's WiPs. I think BloodyDrake is the only WiPper I followed with any regularity for any length of time. But, had

here been a separate thread for individual projects, I would have seen more of the projects as they happened.

I do really like the index thread (linked in my Sig), both as a nice browsable gallery of many users (somewhat obsolesced by the Inspiration Gallery) and as an index of my own work for my own reference (somewhat obsolesced by Springpad).

• Like 4

I like the idea of the index post.  List all your WIPs and update it when you start a new one.  Or show offs for that matter.

Your index post shoots to the top when you update it and people can go check out old ones.

• Like 2

Regarding following a particular painter, as mentioned before the search function is pretty robust (and always has been). Also, each thread shows who started it. It if a painter has that devoted of a following they ought to look into starting a blog or gallery site anyway.

There are plenty of free, easy to use options and they'll let anyone start one...even me. (I think my followers do so to see what Not to do.) What's better, a blog allows you to subscribe to it so you receive the posting in your tool of choice. These boards may as well, but there's no guarantee that will carry over in the event of software migration.

• Like 1

at the end of the day, the moderators ability to collectively prevent abuse of the boards is a primary concern for us. Many years ago we had Many Show-off, Many WIP, which recently gave way to One Show, one WIP

*whistles innocently*

I am dead certain none of that had anything to do with me.  The timing is purely coincidental. 

I'm either the best bad influence ever or the worst good influence ever.  My passion is contagious.  So is everything else about me. 

Anyway, I think I'm going to convert to many WIP, many show because frankly that's actually also easier for me.  For the time being I've got my hands full with Tiamat anyway.  Hopefully the new method will prove as utilitarian for new people as the consolidated WIP was. 

• Like 5

First off, I do understand the moderators' concerns and desires, and if a definitive ruling comes down on the side of "one WIP/Show-Off per project," I will absolutely respect that. However, I do feel that doing so would significantly reduce the ease of use of this forum.

However, with individual threads, it becomes very difficult to follow a particular painter, should you want to.

It's actually pretty easy to go to the Show Off forum and search for a particular poster and get everything they've put in there.

This is true, but it requires a not-insignificant conscious effort. If there was one painter I wanted to follow, this would be fine. But with the sheer amount of talent on this forum, it would be infeasible to go through and search, on a regular basis, for all content by any of the many painters I want to keep tabs on. I would much rather just be alerted when they do something new, rather than  With one thread, once I've posted in it, it gets a little star next to it, and every new post boosts it to the top of the "New Content" page, where I can easily keep track of it. The search tool makes a great archive, but is completely unhelpful for telling me when there's new stuff.

The other thing, from my perspective, is that I'm really bad at doing WIPs. I tend to forget to take photos of steps along the way, and I often finish it and never post the final steps. Often I just want to highlight one minor thing that wouldn't merit its own thread. If I had to make an individual thread for each mini, I simply would not. It's not worth starting a new thread for each mini if I'm just going to do a couple of posts per, but with a consolidated thread, I can throw up a few pictures here and there to show what I'm doing without worrying about creating clutter. My index thread would just end up being a bunch of links to one- or two-post threads. And at that point, there's no way that's better or more convenient for anybody than having a consolidated thread. So I will shut down my WIP thread if the mods ask, but it will mean that, for me personally, I won't be able to post WIPs on these forums any more.

Ultimately, I think that the way things are now is the most functional approach, though I acknowledge it is difficult for moderators. People use the forums differently. Different people need different tools, and not having any particular guidelines allows people to use the forums in the way that is most conductive to their workflow.

As for blogs and so forth, I post here because there is a dedicated community that I know and like. I'm quite confident that only a very small percentage of people would click through to my blog, and the lack of community would take away any incentive at all to keep up with my WIPs. You know you're looking at a significant decrease in usability when the advice is, "just go elsewhere if you want to keep doing this thing."

• Like 4

I admit to being baffled why people care so much.  If I post 30 things, what difference does it make for mods or members if I post it to 1 thread or 30?  I guess if you only ever read the first post for pictures it's easier to post one miniature per thread.  I'd counter that it's easier to read 1 thread (with several new posts) than several threads with one post each.  It seems to just be personal preference for me.  (for example, one thing that annoys me is when people go through and comment on every single open thread in show off - that's 30 threads to click through).  But for mods... if you have to check all the posts anyway, what is the difference between one thread or many?

I'm not trying to make a fuss (and if a mod asks me to, I'll stop with the one-WIP, one-Show Off thread), but I just don't see how it's really THAT much different.

• Like 7

I am with fanguad, TBH, for WIPs.

My thread is my blog here, a place to share with others. Of course, if you don't want to look at it, great for you! But if I am working on 4-5 different things, and I only update each thread like every couple weeks, then it is a lot of work to search for, and update, 4 individual threads. 

I actually think that if you are following what X member is doing, just to check and offer / take advice, then one WIP thread is way easier for communication. 

Unless the mods recommend otherwise, but I don't understand why it would be so. I mean, that would only lead to thread bloat on the Painting subforum, and many threads losing visibility there and through New Content. THEN I would miss content.

• Like 7

The official forum guidelines (yes, I always read them) said to include the name of the figure and manufacturer in the thread title, from which I derived that the preferred form was one figure (or related group of figures), one thread, both for the WIP and the Show-Off forums.

So despite the obvious board culture of consolidated threads, when I started posting I always made separate threads for my projects. Some of those projects have been involved, or dealing with more than one figure, but they have generally been a logical grouping.

I may make an index thread. That sounds a good idea, since I think some of my projects might be of long-term interest to various people.

• Like 2

To me, using the forums as your blog is abusing Reaper's kindness in making these forums available for free. The storage and bandwidth necessary costs them real money. Use a dedicated service. The community is still here and available for questions, showing finished items, detailing current projects and such.

I've already explained my rationale for why things are missed in the consolidated threads. If I don't know that you also paint something I'm interested in I'm not going to read a multipage collection of occassionally relevant posts. The boards provide sufficient tools to keep track of individuals.

I haven't been a mod here since the population explosion, so if they say one show off/one wip is easier for them to patrol I take their word for it. I have met them IRL and know them to be true to their word.

Edited by Sergeant_Crunch

I admit to being baffled why people care so much.  If I post 30 things, what difference does it make for mods or members if I post it to 1 thread or 30?  I guess if you only ever read the first post for pictures it's easier to post one miniature per thread.  I'd counter that it's easier to read 1 thread (with several new posts) than several threads with one post each.  It seems to just be personal preference for me.  (for example, one thing that annoys me is when people go through and comment on every single open thread in show off - that's 30 threads to click through).  But for mods... if you have to check all the posts anyway, what is the difference between one thread or many?

I'm not trying to make a fuss (and if a mod asks me to, I'll stop with the one-WIP, one-Show Off thread), but I just don't see how it's really THAT much different.

The reason it's easier for mods is that if they have reason to think there's just one mini or group of minis in a thread, and they're all in the first post, then they know there's nothing objectionable and don't have to keep up with it. With a consolidated thread, they do have to keep checking back to make sure nothing newly objectionable has been added.

Aside from that, I do agree with fanguard and Willen that a single thread is easier for users. With the amount of activity on this forum, topic bloat is a serious concern for me. I don't want to read through pages of New Content to see if there's something I want to read buried in there. Plus, with a consolidated thread, if I miss it the first go 'round, I can be sure it'll come back the next time they post something, and I can play catch up. With individual threads, if I miss it the first time, it's gone forever and I'm never going to see it.

Not only is it easier to keep up with painters you like, consolidated threads also make it easier to ignore things you don't care about. If I've decided that some painter's style just isn't for me, I can go right by that thread whenever I see it. If there are dozens of threads, I have to scroll past all of them to get to the stuff I do want. Similarly, it is easier to say "oh, I'll get to this later" when there's a thread I might be interested in.

Crunch, I do understand that bandwidth costs money, and I'm sympathetic. But Reaper does seem to think it's worth it, since they're hosting it here and allowing us the option of uploading unlimited pictures to the WIP and Show-Off forums. I feel like those subforums are a dedicated service for sharing painted minis, and I'm not sure what difference you see. It's no less bandwidth if I post to many threads than if I keep it confined to one thread. I want to keep sharing my minis with this community, and Reaper is currently offering the tools to do so. As far as I know, they intend to continue to offer the tools to do so. The only difference is the format in which we do that, and we are weighing in on what is easiest for various users. Telling us to leave if we don't want to use it the way you want us to use it is not helpful. (Obviously the mods do get to make that ultimatum, however.)

• Like 5