Miniature selection

Mengu

First off I just want to say the Reaper is awesome. They make the best miniatures and are by far my favorite miniature company.   I use the miniatures for RPGís and every time I start a new campaign I can look through the catalog or the dozens of pictures on the website and most of the time find the perfect miniature for almost any character I make. However, I have noticed that sometimes you get carried away with some themes and neglect others.  For example you have quite a few vampires, maybe even a few too many, but almost no gnomes.  Is there a specific way that you choose new miniatures or do the sculptors do that? Is there a way for people to request specific types or miniatures? Perhaps the fans could make some suggestions on miniatures they would like to see.  :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if we're on the topic of wish-lists, I would want to see more bearded human characters. Not a walking carpet of a beard, just something to show the character's not 14 years old. I'd also like to see simple armor. I know guilded edgings and engracing makes a character interesting to paint, but sometimes, I come up with character concepts that include 'plain, unadorned armor, and a simple, effective sword'. I guess what I'm saying is that some of us like the Volvo or armor. Boxy, but effecient.

--Just another brick in the wall (next time in the head)

--lstormhammer

First of, let me agree with favonian on the quality of Reaper - outstanding and very reasonably priced. Also, yes, looking through the catalogue I see a preponderance of Vampires - I don't really care when they are this gorgeous. I think there is a least something for everyone. Ladystorm, there are some female dwarves and halflings in the catalogue (2063 Ametrine Earthlyle is a favourite of mine) and as far as I could see, only 2 gnomes, 1 of each gender but certainly some more would be nice - on a similair vein I hope you agree it's very nice to see female characters, of any race, portrayed as adventurers, not just eye candy in impractical bikini-wear. 'hammer, you're spot on. Nice smooth armour once in a while would be joyous - and what is it with the flaming/wobbly swords? These guys must go through loads of scabbards.......

Thanks for the encouragement, Smokin. On the Chainmail-bikini front, I would also like to see female minis, in armor, and it covers /everything/. Real women in real armor don't really show that they're women in there (though the hips are wider, and most the women I know who fight adjust their armor accordingly). Don't get me wrong, the skin has let me practice painting something other than faces, but I would like to see real armor on real women (and they would pull their hair back, or wear it very short, nothing ruins your day like stray hairs in your chain coif.)

--He keeps going, and going, and going...

--lstormhammer

While all the above comments are true, let me just add that these are FANTASY figures, so while I fully understand the impracticalities of the garb/armour that most of the models wear, it adds to the overall feel. I LIKE the chain bikinis! And when im looking for Mr evil overlord for a main bad guy, embossed armour and a cool decorative sword is good.... But I understand the appeal of a "low level" mini or two... have you thought of doing a series of figures of a single model, showing him growing, and gaining more experience? Perhaps starting off in a plain Gambeson, with a club/short sword, then in chain, with a long sword, then in the "fancy" plate armour with the cool sword... for example (not that im hinting or anything  :D ) just an idea....

Nothing wrong with a lot of vampires really. I have a friend who is building up a vampire army, and he is quite happy for the fact that Reaper has much to offer.

Nothing wrong with the occasional chainmail bikini, I like to practice some flesh, but some realism would be good on that front too.

As for fancy armor, I think it's easy enough to file down any details you don't like (as a matter of fact I've done this on a shield in one case, and on some boots on another case).

Also if you don't like the fancy weapon a miniature comes with, a swap isn't so difficult.

Everyone seems to be wishing things here, so I'll add to the list. I wish there were more dynamically posed miniatures. Not everyone should be standing up straight, gazing at the camera. I wish there would be some more crouching, leaping, drawing, throwing, hiding, leaning, miniatures. I'd like to also see some different head positions, looking to the side, back, etc. Don't get me wrong, there are a few, but they seem to be too few... Well, it's just a wish...

I know! How about an Orc Pugilist? A real bare-knuckle boxer? We could even mold it with a gigantic handlebar moustache! Put it in a classic boxing pose, that would rock! (think the big german boxer from 'Raiders of the Lost Ark', but give him green skin, and bigger teeth).

That would a great mini to paint up!

--lstormhammer

--loosing his sanity, one post at a time.

Okay, you ready for something radical... how about:

UNarmed minis!

I need a few (maybe 4 men, 4 women) minis for characters whose menace is in their bodies - martial artists, psionicists that don't need weapons (maybe have a small weapon or two still in the sheath, even though the character is in a fighting posture), and slaves revolting against masters who haven't picked up weapons yet (the revolt has to START unarmed, after all).

Most of the armor I see is medieval or renaissance. I really need some more variety than that. Please, some hoplite armors, Lorica armors, lamellar armors - men and women. Maybe some figures designed around the warriors of the Indian subcontinent.

Finally, I'm trying to collect miniatures to represent all the lower-planar bad guys from 2nd edition - all the demons & devils (oops! tana'ari & baatezu) + some representative others (slaad, yugoloth). It looks like you might be working on this with the vulture & frog demons (got both) & a new green which looks like a Marilith. But it ain't enough until i have them all!!!! :O

I know that Ral Partha came out with some good minis to represent them, but i took a few years off gaming & missed it when they came out. Frankly, Reaper makes better minis anyway.

I need more minis with less detail & smooth lines than i do with boss-type super-equipment & detail. That only makes sense but so many companies wants to make every mini "unique" & they forget a mini can be good looking & unique without useless detail and skulls & extra weapons everywhere.

Reaper has an outstanding variety of female characters in full armour of many types.  Very few chain mail bikini types.  I get tired of this arguemnet though for reasons pointed out by Vampire but to cast Reaper as a company that does only bikini clad women is just wrong!  Reaper is perhaps the first company to do a large number of female miniatures for many classes that are fully clothed and armoured as the class calls for it.  Sure that have a couple scantly clad women but they also have a couple scantly clad men. :(

I would like to see them expand their selection of non human/elf females as has already been pointed out.  Also a couple more gnomes and some Hobgoblins.  Hobgoblins are perhaps the coolest of the goblinoid races and the most ignored by miniature companies.

Yes, there aren't that many chain mail bikinis. I'm not complaining about that. Where are the Roman, Assyrian, Persian, Greek, Sub-Saharan African flavored characters? I want everything from bronze age middle-east to tribal african to roman centurions & senators. Really the "wide range of armors" are just variations of plate & chain, an occasional studded leather, a very rare O-yori. While this is definitely wider than some lines, it still fails to represent a huge variety of cultures & time periods.

Then, of course, there's the need for armor designed to look like dragon scales. Somebody's got to have carved up a dragon after a victory.

For those of you asking for young wizards, at Origins, I saw Sandra Garrity working on two young wizards, a male and a female. So you have something to look forward to in the coming months.

I also saw concept drawings of the two monks that should be coming out pretty soon. They looked very cool. They do not have weapons IIRC.

As for non-humans, there is a handful of gnolls and bugbears. It would be nice to see some more though, as well as some females like the troll matron with the baby. Love that mini  :D