Jump to content

Boldly Into Darkness Go


Last Knight
 Share

Recommended Posts

Sonskyn's quarterstaff seems to have survived its fall intact, although one of the metal endcaps is heavily scraped and slightly dented now. It adds character to a stick that was otherwise as clean as the day it was carved.

 

((Fixed that for you - her name ends in an 'n' not an 'r' ^_^ ))

 

The portcullis looks heavy - thick steel bars, stout about as a quarterstaff. The damp air hasn't been kind to the metal, which is swelling and flaking, but still looks sturdy enough to hold its own. Since neither Chance or John have light sources, it's harder to see further than just the other side of the bars, but there's a cool, moist breeze blowing out of what looks like a long tunnel, square cut, roughly ten feet wide and eight high.

 

((Actually, I think Chance has one of the flame beads. Wolf climbed down before having the chance to take one))

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking note of the slight flush that came to the elfkin at his words he smiled,and continuing in elven responded "Ah, you speak the language do you? My pardon for the words I chose." Switching back to the common tongue he turned towards Glarif 

 
"Master Dwarf, I would guess" He said quietly, "that either our predecessors did not know there were stairs down, or that somewhere along that route, they are collapsed. That said however, I am willing to scout that way a bit and make certain. An easier,and mayhaps safer, exit would be no bad thing to know of before we delved deeper into this place."
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Agreed, though not alone. This place looks to be made by children with all the cracks and space in these joints. Even Dwarven children could build better than those who built this place. I wouldn't be supprised if half this place has already collapsed." Glarif pulls a torch from his pack and lights it. Then beckons to Daneir "shall we be about it then?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"We should tread carefully down that portcullis way," Abigale suggested, pointing towards the path. She quickly put her arm back to her side, remembering that it was probably too dark to see her pointing, "This most likely opens up to a larger area of some sort....I assume."

 

For some reason, Abigale was suddenly worried about bats or other flying sort of creatures. She hadn't really prepared herself for the worst case scenario or even slight bump in the roads. Maybe all of her books didn't prepare her for this after all.

 

Every time she shifted her weight on her legs, a sharp pain would surge from her bottom to her lower back and thighs. She was just glad she didn't break anything, but the bruise would be something she'd never forget about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Grinning at Abigale, John Wesley suggests, "Judging by the, uh, rust that'll be forming on Virgil's legs, we should, uh, tread carefully everywhere. The next puddle might not, uh, be so shallow."

 

John Wesley glances at Virgil and says, "Uh, you're going to want to dry those off, and, uh, sooner is better than later."

Edited by dsmiles
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"gather on the stairs and dry yourselves off, especially yourself Miss Abigail" he suggested before nodding to the dwarf and drawing his sword out. His intention to go on ahead just far enough in the glow from the torch for his keen eyes to see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glarif follows Daenir to the end of the hall holding the torch in one hand and his crossbow in the other. He is prepared to drop the torch if needed and bring the weapon to bear. "After you good sir" he says to Daenir. "Lets just start with seeing what's at the end of this hall, We probably shouldn't be outside of a shout from everyone in case there is anything there that requires our assistance."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

John Wesley, seemingly dry enough to forge on, wanders aimlessly about the circle of light. Forgelocks in hand, he peers out into the dimly lit portions of the chamber, hoping to spot the glint of gold, as his purse is a little starved of the metal at the moment.

 

((LK has a good idea, bolding names. I think it makes them easier to pick out.))

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sonskyn looks around the cavern and then carefully starts to pick her way towards the bottom of the stairs but then she notices that Abigale is walking a bit stiffly. She changes direction slightly in order to approach the other young woman as she is trying to wipe herself as dry.

 

Lowering her voice a little and leaning in she says "Abigale, right? Did you hurt yourself when you fell? Would you like me to call on Veiloaria's Healing?" Then, smiling a little conspiratorially, she nods towards the men and boys milling about the cavern and moving towards the stairs and add, "Us girls, we need to stick together. You know?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

"John, Chance, do you see any scrapes or bright metal on that portcullis that would indicate it has been moved recently?"

 

Wolf examines the pile of rubble more closely, trying to determine if there may be an open space behind it.

 

"Everyone, i heard some noise from behind this pile of rubble", Wolf says indicating the pile with his bow and arrow.

 

 

 

(( Daenir had returned one of the fire beads to Sonskyn, can it be said that I borrowed that one?))

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

(( Daenir had returned one of the fire beads to Sonskyn, can it be said that I borrowed that one?))

((No problem, we'll say Wolf received one of the beads after they got to the bottom of the Murder Hole. ^_^))

 

Wolf crouches down, unwilling to kneel in the water and get his leggings even wetter than they already were. It's just over ankle deep in this area, call it the northwestern corner of the great cavern; off to his left, he can see lights dancing as John and some others go to check out the portcullis and answer his question.

 

(Chance, who had already been there trying to see if he could find anything snagged on the tines, can tell - as more light comes into play - that there doesn't seem to be any sign of fresh metal, nothing like the rust has been scratched away. There's some fur, though - maybe from a cloak? It's a greasy fur, not quite like anything he's seen before - not coarse enough for a wolf or bear, very fine and almost silky... kind of like an otter's pelt, maybe, but he can't think of any otters so big they'd scrape themselves on an opening this big...)

 

Hurr... hurr... hurr... The breathing, again. He looks closer at the rubble; yeah, it could be hollow... it's just fallen stones from the ceiling, mixed with... hmm. Looks like rougher stone, too, looks like it had been hacked out - by a pick axe or something. Wolf looks at the walls again, but can't see any holes chopped in them, no signs of digging. Anyway, there's dirt - mud, really - mixed in with it, and it looks like moss and some sort of algae growing on top, binding everything together.

 

Hurr... hurr... hurr...

 

Snap.

 

When he was younger, his father had taken him to visit one of his warehouses in the poorer parts of town. He'd wandered off while he was there, bored with listening to merchants bicker back and forth... into the warehouse, out the back, into an alley. There'd been a cat there, playing with something by the wall. He'd wandered closer - and heard it. That heavy breathing, that odd sound. The cat had begun to back away from its toy...

 

A sewer rat. A big one. Maybe it hadn't been all that big, really, but it had looked it - especially to his young eyes - because its fur had been all puffed up, and it had been breathing hard, making a weird, echoey sound...

 

This sound. Only this has got to be ten times louder...

 

Black orbs the size of his thumb reflect the light of the fire bead back at him - just before the thing attacks.

 

Gullywater gray, the size of a small dog with incisors like belt knives, it lunges out of the rubble pile with eerie speed, its weight hitting him hard and bowling him backwards. Its claws skitter along his leathers as it snaps at his face - like he's a St. Dunstan's Day candy ball, and it's bound and determined to get to the chewy center before the other kids get a chance...

 

 

((Why yes, I did spend some time this morning looking up what an angry rat sounds like...

 

 

John Wesley and Chance can see what happened to Wolf quite clearly.

 

Abigale and Sonskyr can hear it, but their view of the fight is impeded by the heaps of rubble between the stairs and the corner in which Wolf is fighting.

 

Glarif and Daenir have left the room, and can neither hear nor see what has occurred - at least at the moment. I will cover them in my next post. Actually, they might still be on the stairs - in which case, same as Abigale and Sonskyr, above. If they've left the room, then stand by for update.

Griff may still be up in the ruins above...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

    • By haldir
      Starting post for the upcoming Starfinder: Attack of Swarm pbp I will be running. I'm mainly using this to get a feel for Starfinder & such as I'm hoping to run a game or 2 at ReaperCon 2021.
       

       
      Paizo Inc.
      (Part 1 of 6 Attack of the Swarm Adventure Path)
       
      (as quoted from the Paizo product page:)
       
      "Suskillon Needs You!
      As the ever-ravenous threat of the insectile Swarm surges across another system in the Vast, the heroes are part of the defense effort. They must fight back against waves of foes and rescue civilians, including a shirren priest of Hylax whose temple seems to be of particular interest to the invaders. By relying on their wits—and each other—the heroes just might survive the Swarm onslaught."
       
      Suskillon System
       
      The Story so far..........
       
      It has been 6 months to the day, since the Swarm* first touched down on Suskillon in a bloody conflict named the Battle at Stone Sea. After the Swarm punched through the planet’s aerial and orbital defenses, its components landed near the Stone Sea, a large freshwater lake surrounding a dormant volcano. The Fifth Battalion of the Suskillon Defense Force (SDF**) was closest to the site of contact and held the Swarm back long enough for the SDF to mobilize other battalions to the area. Stories of the battle have already reached near-mythical heights, as most members of the Fifth Battalion were killed in glorious, terrible combat.
       
      Since then, the SDF has fought a losing battle against the Swarm. Though Suskillon is a friendly trading partner with the Pact Worlds, the planet’s government has yet to officially request aid, with many afraid that the Pact Worlds will claim their planet as a protectorate in “payment” for such help. However, that hasn’t stopped volunteers and mercenaries from other systems (including the Pact Worlds and the Veskarium) from journeying to Suskillon to join in the fight against the invasion. The Swarm is relentless, though, and it has already overran and taken nearly half of the planet.
       
      *The Swarm is a collective menace of sentient insect-like creature bent on expanding it's colonies by devouring anything in it's wake. The Swarm doesn't negotiate with people it just consumes it's host & whatever it's host is on. The Shirren were part of the Swarm, but during "The Gap" they were able to free themselves from it's collective mind & established their own colonies. Unfortunately, The Swarm has the ability to adapt to the challenges conquering it's foes & were able to follow the Shirren & left most of their new colonies in ruins due to the Shirren's connection with the Hylax, a divine entity the Swarm are hellbent on wiping from existence.
       
      This also led them to come in contact with the Veskarium, the system of the military-like reptilian humanoids. The Swarm was so overwhelming that the Vesk (as their race is called) called in the Pact Worlds (home to many, but notably humans) & formed an alliance to beat back the Swarm. This has only temporarily stopped the Swarm from taking over both their worlds.
       
      Only time will tell when that may happen........
       
      ** Suskillon Defense Force (or the SDF for short) is the military force of planet Suskillon. In the beginning it was your standard military but as the war with the Swarm has progressed, the leaders of the SDF have brought it whoever wanted to fight the Swarm. Whether or not these folk due to it for honorable reason, matters not, as the SDF needs bodies to win the war against the Swarm. So far, the war has only gone the way of the Swarm. The Fifth Battalion is the unit, you the PCs are assigned to. Welcome aboard, solider!
       
      The Present...
       
      You have answered Suskillon's need for heroes & saviors, whether it was due to you were already in the SDF as career military, a merc, a prisoner whose sentence was to serve or die, or just someone who wanted to help out in any way you can, etc etc. You been enlisted into the SDF & have been asigned to the Fifth Battalion & have been sent to Camp Cavalier, a small military encampment outside the capitol city of Brinnoa. Brinnoa is located on the planet's most populated continent in the southern hemisphere. The commanding officer is Major Jaldamarrak, a Vesk with a impressive military background (feel free to give me, Culture or Profession (soldier) check to learn more about this individual).
       
      The adventure begins in the middle of "Dead Winter", one of Suskillon's extended, extremely cold weather period. Also, much the surprise to most people, the daily attacks of the Swarm have died off, almost to a point that if not for their previous attacks & destruction, one might think they have decided to retreated & focus on some other system.
       
      You all begin inside a room outside the commanding unit at Camp Cavalier, awaiting on when you can see the Major. 
    • By Darcstaar
      Hi people.
      Im going to start another PBP.  So far I have interest from @ShadowRaven, @dwarvenranger, @Dilvish the Deliverer, and @Kangaroorex.
       
      We’re going to start the Serpent’s Skull adventure path.  Pathfinder 1e.
       
      All books are in play, but I reserve the right to veto something if it seems too gross/bloated.
       
      Please utilize the Serpent’s Skull Players Guide from the Paizo website.
       
      Abilities: 4d6, reroll all 1’s, drop lowest score, yielding ranges from 2-18 pre mods.
       
      Avg. Starting gold.
       
      We’ll follow the AP leveling track when possible.
       
      We’ll have individual initiative.
       
      I hope to get this started soon, so please post those characters.

      -edits-
      House Rules
      1. HP beyond first level.  Roll the hit die.  If the roll is less than”avg” then take avg instead.  Example: Wizard d6.  Rolls a 1.  Gets 4hp instead, before Con mod.
      2. Acrobatics can be used to avoid AOO when standing from prone.
      3. If someone is not responding and action is waiting for them, I’ll send a pm after 24 hours.  If no response 24 hours later, I’ll take over that character to get action rolling again.
    • By Darcstaar
      Part 1 of the Serpent’s Skull Adventure Path.  By James Jacobs, (c) 2010.
      Paizo Publishing.
       
      Using the Pathfinder Rules from the Pathfinder Core Rulebook
      Sixth Printing, 2013 and copyright 2009 and on
      Also uses Open Game License Content 1.0a Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast
    • By Darcstaar
      Copyright 2012 Paizo Publishing.
       
      Using the Pathfinder Rules from the Pathfinder Core Rulebook
      Sixth Printing, 2013 and copyright 2009 and on
      Also uses Open Game License Content 1.0a Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast
       

       

      You can decide if you know each other before the start of the adventure, or are all randomly passing through this small rural town on your way to or from Korvosa.
      You have heard rumor that a carnival passes through this town, and have come to investigate and have some fun.
      As you mill about the carnival grounds, you can sample delicious food from vendors, view exotic sights or shows, and participate in games of skill and chance.
       
      Let me know what types of things you are interested in, and if/how you know each other.
    • By Darcstaar
      Hi everyone.
      In light of additional free time, I'd like to start another PBP.
      Maybe I'll be able to get prior ones going again, if people are interested.
      We'll be doing Murder's Mark.  A Pathfinder Module for four 1st level characters.
       
      From www.paizo.com
      An urban mystery adventure for 1st-level characters.
      Everyone in the fishing town of Ilsurian is excited when the legendary Umbra Carnival rolls into town—even if the show is run by members of the much-maligned Varisian ethnic group. With strange and exotic beasts, scandalous performances, games of chance, and all the other fun of a traveling fair, who could resist such an opportunity for entertainment?
      Unfortunately for both the town and the circus, however, entertainment isn’t the only opportunity the carnival presents. 
       
       Core Rulebook, Advanced Player's Guide, Advanced Race Guide are OK.
       
      Character Generation:
      Attributes: 4d6, reroll all 1's, drop lowest die.  This will yield attribute rolls of 6-18.
      Average Starting Gold for class.
      Alignments: LG, NG, CG, LN, TN.
       
      The hope would be that once we finish this one, we'll be able to start another with the same characters...
×
×
  • Create New...