Black orc squad bones and metal

EvilJames

My first post in the Show off subforum. ::): This is my squad of black orcs. Most are from the Vampire box(77059: Orc Berserker, 77056: Orc Sniper, 77051: Orc Stalker, 77045: Orc Hunter, and 77042: Orc Marauder), but I have two metal ones (03489: Black Orc Warriors)as well.

post-7751-0-95093500-1400987493_thumb.jpgpost-7751-0-58240100-1400987520_thumb.jpgpost-7751-0-99330200-1400987537_thumb.jpgpost-7751-0-56723400-1400987556_thumb.jpg

The eyes on the stalker ended up being a little wonkey and big and the faces of the bones orcs were a little hard to paint due to the softness of detail (except for the berserker, his face was still pretty solid) but I'm otherwise happy with how they all turned out. Their leaders and a few recruits are still being painted right now.

Also these guys are my secend attempt at basing and my first attempt at snow affects on bases. I had some varying degrees of success with that.

Edited by EvilJames
  • Like 15

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohhh they look like a properly terifying party for adventurers to encounter!

Regarding the snow:  I've never done it, but watched Obsidiancrane do it yesterday.  He mixed white glue/pva glue with the fake snow till it was a bit thicker than icing, pasted it in place (like icing a base) then sprinkled some fresh fake snow on top.  Once it drys he brushes off the extra dry fake snow that did not stick.  Not sure if that helps or not... like I said, I've never done it myself.

ED: the reason I mentioned how I saw him do it, is I was never sure how people were doing their snow bases... and getting info on how as many people as possible are doing things gives ideas to work with.

Edited by kay13
  • Like 4

Hmm thanks. I might try that next time. For these guys I used some old Howard Hues bone paint that had gone bad and had the consistency of modeling clay or maybe paste and watered it down a bit mor and smooshed it on there and then painted it white and light blue. I also tried gluing snow flocking on a couple bases. The berserker just has a little bit of the chunky paint on his base to fill in the slot and give it a little texture I then painted it sky blue with some white to try and make it look like ice.

• Like 2

ED: the reason I mentioned how I saw him do it, is I was never sure how people were doing their snow bases... and getting info on how as many people as possible are doing things gives ideas to work with.

I hope my explanation of what I did was helpful for you because what you said will likely be helpful for me when I finish Kavorg and the tundra stalker captain. ::):

• Like 2

I hope my explanation of what I did was helpful for you because what you said will likely be helpful for me when I finish Kavorg and the tundra stalker captain. ::):

Nicely helpful thank you! 

I like gathering data points... it means when I finally get round to doing something its normally easier!

• Like 2

Ohhh they look like a properly terifying party for adventurers to encounter!

Regarding the snow:  I've never done it, but watched Obsidiancrane do it yesterday.  He mixed white glue/pva glue with the fake snow till it was a bit thicker than icing, pasted it in place (like icing a base) then sprinkled some fresh fake snow on top.  Once it drys he brushes off the extra dry fake snow that did not stick.  Not sure if that helps or not... like I said, I've never done it myself.

Baking powder works very well as well.

So much rpg value..... Must supress.... Inner..... Dm.....

Good, good. Let the Dming flow through you.

Evil clown is evil.

• Like 3

Seriously though. If you've got a good Dm idea for this crew, I'd be happy to hear it.

Recurring bandit crew. So many times pc's wallop orcs and we never see them again. I recommend making these guys a group of recurring baddies in a campaign. In addition, depending on the theme of your campaign, i'd run them like a japanese super sentei team. Akin the mario rpg's axem rangers. They could call themselves the super black orc protection squad or something like that. Maybe one of them has a magic weapon he aquired and takes it as a sign that his pack of bandits are special, etc. etc.

You wouldn't need to use all of the orcs for this, maybe three or four. That way you could still use the others for fodder.

The other idea would be a little more "normal." One of them is a rcurring, ruthless, big bad and the others are the baddies he always has with him.

Edited by jdizzy001
  • Like 1

Seriously though. If you've got a good Dm idea for this crew, I'd be happy to hear it.

Recurring bandit crew. So many times pc's wallop orcs and we never see them again. I recommend making these guys a group of recurring baddies in a campaign. In addition, depending on the theme of your campaign, i'd run them like a japanese super sentei team. Akin the mario rpg's axem rangers. They could call themselves the super black orc protection squad or something like that. Maybe one of them has a magic weapon he aquired and takes it as a sign that his pack of bandits are special, etc. etc.

You wouldn't need to use all of the orcs for this, maybe three or four. That way you could still use the others for fodder.

The other idea would be a little more "normal." One of them is a rcurring, ruthless, big bad and the others are the baddies he always has with him.

I like that. I did something similar with a group of bugbears years ago, but I had no painted minis for them. And actually they might work well as an elite team of Scro for my Spelljammer game if I can ever get everyone together for it again.

• Like 2