Dungeon Saga

Teskal

I'm on the fence. The basic box is definitely not worth $100. I don't like the fact that it seems they planned on reaching lots of stretch goals to make the box worth it. I have no idea of the quality of the minis (even within Mantic's range of miniatures, quality differs a lot).

And ... I'm not happy with the 200k stretch goal being a $25 add-on. I'd have liked to get those four minis for free (value of basic box - see above) in plastic and a $25 (or $20) resin add-on.

Bottom line: Will have to reach a lot of free stretch goals to entice me.

• Like 1

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, pulling the freebie resins was a bad thing in my book. I understand why they did it, but that just makes it easier to drop my pledge since I won't be adding to it to get them. I don't trust Mantic's quality to buy resin minis from them. They're the 'huge box of cheap stuff' guys.

I'm not collecting at a 'huge box of cheap stuff' level.

And they rejiggered the 225k stretch to 250k. This sounds like it's being held together with spit and gum.

• Like 1

The closest comparison I have is Descent 2nd. It can be had for $55 or so and includes 46 miniatures iirc, some pretty big and in the same material this will use.

Consider that you're not only paying up front for a game to be released in a year, you're also paying $100 for it, almost twice what Descent 2nd costs. If I'm to back a kickstarter I don't just expect for it to be barely worth what you'd pay retail, but I expect a solid discount beating anything you'd ever get in an online store.

It's not even close to being worth it yet and needs more than double this amount of minis to make me even consider staying in. If not, I'll just pull my pledge, wait for reviews and then buy it at the actual price which, unless the contents increase a lot, will be a whole lot less than $100.

• Like 4

Good point araziel.   There is a disconnect between Mantic's idea that they are making a gateway game that might get kids into RPGs or miniatures or whatever and the fact that they are pushing the game for $100 on kickstarter.

Given enough high quality miniatures, the game might be "worth" $100 but it can't be a gateway game at that pricepoint.

• Like 1

The closest comparison I have is Descent 2nd. It can be had for $55 or so and includes 46 miniatures iirc, some pretty big and in the same material this will use.

Consider that you're not only paying up front for a game to be released in a year, you're also paying $100 for it, almost twice what Descent 2nd costs. If I'm to back a kickstarter I don't just expect for it to be barely worth what you'd pay retail, but I expect a solid discount beating anything you'd ever get in an online store.

It's not even close to being worth it yet and needs more than double this amount of minis to make me even consider staying in. If not, I'll just pull my pledge, wait for reviews and then buy it at the actual price which, unless the contents increase a lot, will be a whole lot less than $100.

I won't disagree that this is not decent value (yet),

but comparisons on cost based on descent 2 really depend on where you are, In the UK a copy of desent 2 will cost you more than '$100' (pretty much a similar thing for all big box board games coming in from the USA),

and because of the (legitimately) high cost of postage, and import taxes like VAT we can't even buy them in from the big discounters over in your land of plenty

so I'm certain this will be decent value at least for the folks in the UK/Europe, for those of you in North America I suspect the descisoin on whether to buy will end up coming down to what the rules sound like

Yeah, I guess it's a thing to consider. However you will accrue the shipping ($25 I think) and taxes/VAT on the KS too though so I don't see the big difference from finding it cheaper on ebay after release. Shipping would probably run you closer to $35 but that's it. I buy almost all my games online from overseas (a lot from the UK in fact). I mostly find it through ebay but I still get them quite a bit cheaper than anywhere here in Norway.

Descent 2nd edition is actually one of the very few exceptions in my collection that's locally bought. I got it at the LGS because bookdepository never had stock :P

However you will accrue the shipping ($25 I think) and taxes/VAT on the KS too though so I don't see the big difference from finding it cheaper on ebay after release.

Shipping is free for the UK, and only $10 within the EU (with no taxes), so that's pretty good actually. I dunno, I think $100 will probably end up being an OK price at the end of the campaign when I'm guessing the box will be packed full with plastic (Descent seems to go for almost $100 in shops here in Sweden). The question for me is more whether or not I'm interested in a box packed full with plastic.

I need my jams when I'm cooking up the love.

Well that's a reason good enough as any I've heard.

4 heroes, 3 villains, 9 skeletons, 6 zombies, 3 armoured zombies, 3 dwarf zombies, 2 exclusive heroes.

Sure to hit the next few goals: 3 zombie trolls, zombie troll shaman.

So, currently, a decent looking swag of tiles, cards, rulebook, tokens, etc, plus 9 good/evil characters, 21 various undead, and four largish undead monsters. It's not mind-blowing value but I would buy it if I had $100, and the $30 add-on with 19 models is a steal.

Tough part for me is I'd like to know a bit about the rules. I was hoping this might be a cool dungeon crawl I could play with my kids (Descent first edition is a little too much for them). Hard to justify the price when I already have a pile o minis and tiles.

• Like 1