Jump to content

Doctor Who Diorama (and the challenge of building a 28mm TARDIS)

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing work and planning on this. You're very meticulous.


Thanks! A tip for the forum, as well. Nothing I've done so far was so frustrating, and difficult, as placing all those little pieces of wire for the windows frames. Add to that that every window hole was different, and the little bits had to be test-fitted and recut most of the time...


What I did, I took a sculpting tool that is, essentially, a giant steel toothpic. With some adhesive putty, I "coated" its tip, making a cone. I got a sticky pointed tool, with a steel backbone so I could push with it into the little wires. I kept the shap with my fingers because the putty is very soft. 


With it, I could touch the middle of the wires, lift them, touch the ends into a glob of gel glue, then place it where appropiate. Most of the time I could wait a second and dislodge the tool without moving the wire too much, and I corrected the position with the tip of an xacto.


/stares at awesomeness tardis




/chucks sci fi mini for scrap parts.


@[email protected] I bow to your tardis.


This is to inspire you about scratchbuilding. I hope you are joking, like when I mutter stuff about cutting people's hands off so that they cannot paint better than me.  :down:


That is just so epically awesome, and it isn't even finished yet!


Thanks! But you should've seen the first woobly, not-so-straight pieces cut. Things look ugly at first, then so-so, then you keep at it and they become awesome. Same with painting, same with scratchbuilding. It is fun!

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't be anxious people, I will try to make the wait worth it anyway. 


If all goes according to plan, tomorrow night I will complete the build and seal it for painting. I am rather surprised I managed to get it done in about 6-8 hours, 2 days of work. Usually these kind of proyects take a lot of time for me.


Of course I had help from wife and kid  :blush:

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Siri!


Away from my brushes, I am researching how to paint the minis. Looking at the Amy Pond I have, I am a little disappointed that she is this:




...and not this:




I wonder... will I re-sculpt her feet? Will I be brave enough?


Anyway, I see pinstripes in my future, and stockings... 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By lexomatic
      Bones 5
      WIP is where the work starts in this thread.
      Dark Depths: WIP SHOWOFF
      Dungeon Dwellers: WIP  SHOWOFF
      Brinewind: WIP SHOWOFF
      Brinewind Extras: WIP SHOWOFF
      Charnel Pit of the Ghoul Queen: WIP SHOWOFF
      Dwarf King's Crypt : WIP SHOWOFF
      Shadows of Ravenhome: WIP SHOWOFF
      Spiders of Emrith Kul: WIP SHOWOFF
      Adventuring kids: WIP SHOWOFF
      Arakoth the Ancient: WIP SHOWOFF
      Handmaidens: WIP SHOWOFF
      Yog Sothoth: WIP SHOWOFF
      Maybe more I don't remember yet
      Starting with a dry fit of 19507 Spiders of Emrith Kul encounter set.
      Not sure what to do with those bodies in webs on the slot. Need to go back and look at the pics to see if I should cut them or see if I have a spare slotta base to stand them up.
      Backdrop is a black cardstock.

    • By Cursed13
      Most of these aren't up to date and I've changed bits of them here and there since these, I'll be saving those shots for the finished product, but hopefully you enjoy the journey.

    • By Metalchaos
      This is it World Wide Miniatures Day 2021 is here, @maxstyles ways. I'll post my progress here over the weekend. Feel free to join me and post your WIP . Just for the fun of it.
      I cleaned and prepared these models during the week to be ready today. It's gonna be an Ogre weekend. Ready, set, paint!



    • By EvilJames
      Assembled my crew and prepped and primed them. 
      Two clopsen troopers, a lizardman recruit, sniper and another recruit/ chisler.

      A gnoll commando, medic and recruit, and a cultist recruit/hacker and trooper.
      Edit: It is a bit funny that My crew isn't using much of the actual Stargrave miniatures other than a few arms and guns, but then this is just the first crew, and I'll need some ruffians and pirates as well.
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 1 Anonymous, 54 Guests (See full list)

  • Create New...