Doctor Who Diorama (and the challenge of building a 28mm TARDIS)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry, Willen. I have a T.A.R.D.I.S. in 28mm from Black Tree Designs. I also have a classic console, the first and fourth Doctors, Susan and Romana 1.

The Black Tree Design one is the one that avoids the IP issue by having a non-accurate front side, right? I looked at it for inspiration.

I would be disapointed if all i had was the miniature, and not the real thing, too. That's the problem here right?

Not a problem for me. I kinda grow attached to stuff scratchbuilt by me, anyway  :blush: 

The problem was my daugther's face, because I had kinda bought the Doctor and Amy for her, and now I am painting them... so I will need to replace the minis somehow.

Crooked Dice also has a couple of Amy Pond figures. Alas, they are a policewoman and "Casual May Killan" in a spiffy trenchcoat and scarf, but also wearing boots.

I like the style of Crooked Dice. I *really* like Daisy Tyler (aka Rose), could go well with an Eccleston mini from Heresy, as a companion Diorama to this one  :devil: 

These are the times I wish I lived in the first world. And that my wallet is actually happy I am not.

• Like 2

Don't worry, Willen. I have a T.A.R.D.I.S. in 28mm from Black Tree Designs. I also have a classic console, the first and fourth Doctors, Susan and Romana 1.

The Black Tree Design one is the one that avoids the IP issue by having a non-accurate front side, right? I looked at it for inspiration.

No, Black Tree Designs actually has the license to sell actual, BBC approved, bona fide real Doctor Who minis. They are only from before the reboot, but they are not half bad. And Black Tree is the only source for authentic Daleks.

Their customer service, however, leaves much to be desired, as my experience and reports I have heard from others tell. I haven't yet had an order that was not late, and several had major content errors. They have always fixed it, but they are not an easy place to get figures from.

• Like 1

You are right, I was thinking the Fenris Games Police Box.

BTD's Tardis is ridicully expensive, too. Their reputation also turned me away from BTD, mainly what I heard from this forum.

I am also pretty sure I could build a better Dalek that the one they offer at their website.

I am curious about why there is a split between pre and post-reboot. I need to learn more about Dr Who lore... I will admit I only got into it last year. 

• Like 1

Wonderful to see everyone so challenged, and animated to do new things.

Willen, you are going to get the title "Mr. Wizard" with the things you come up with.

That Tardis is amazingly thought out !

Bravo !

Its a joy to see what you do, AND how you do it.

So much thought, and seeing the engineering drawings really helps us understand your thinking.

Thank you for the fun !

• Like 1

BTD's Tardis is ridicully expensive, too. Their reputation also turned me away from BTD, mainly what I heard from this forum.

I am also pretty sure I could build a better Dalek that the one they offer at their website.

I am curious about why there is a split between pre and post-reboot. I need to learn more about Dr Who lore... I will admit I only got into it last year. 

One word:

MOFFAAAAAAAAAT!!

One word:

MOFFAAAAAAAAAT!!

I like to call him the killer of the Who.

• Like 3

You are right, I was thinking the Fenris Games Police Box. BTD's Tardis is ridicully expensive, too. Their reputation also turned me away from BTD, mainly what I heard from this forum. I am also pretty sure I could build a better Dalek that the one they offer at their website. I am curious about why there is a split between pre and post-reboot. I need to learn more about Dr Who lore... I will admit I only got into it last year.

One word: MOFFAAAAAAAAAT!!
I like to call him the killer of the Who.

Moffat is not the reason for the split between Old Who and New Who.

The BBC was trying to kill Doctor Who back in the 1980s. I'm not sure why. They cancelled the original show in 1989, I think it was.

In the 1990s some American Hollywood types got interested and made that excresence of a movie. Paul McGann was quite good, but the movie was an atrocity.

On the other hand, it did presage New Who, containing many elements which became a part of the reboot.

That was also when the BBC trademarked police boxes, right under the nose of the London police, who had never bothered to, and is why they now own the trademark.

As I understand it, in the early 2000s a group of influential fans led by noted TV producer Russell T. Davies pressed for a reboot, and made their case to the BBC, and actually got the chance to start the franchise up again.

I think there was somethng like a fifteen year break between the cancellation and the rebirth.

• Like 5

Thanks for the history lesson, I will search some more. 

My knowledge of pre-reboot Doctor Who is very little, and post-reboot we mostly watched the last couple seasons. I will admit that while I have friends who are fans, I had watched a few episodes and thought "meh". Then we got BBC HD channel on cable, and started to leave it on, and we got sucked into the wonderful weirdness.

We have a special channel here called "on demand" where they have movies, series episodes, etc, for watching (kinda like a poor man's netflix). We just discovered they have the first 2 seasons of the reboot there. Last night the kid and I watched episode 3, the one with the Gelt blue "ghosts" reanimating the dead. TBH, I don't know how my daughter went to bed so easily afterwards LOL.

Related to new and old series, and reboots, and people liking more the originals... I don't know. I mean, you will find people that love the strangest things (like the Elektra movie), and people that swear that original stuff was better. Since all opinions are subjective, I just say... I did like a lot the last two seasons of the Doctor, and the few old originals I was shown were nothing special to me. 

A great Argentinian writer (Borges) once said, perfect works are more fragile than obtuse ones, because they not only depend on their own merits for perfection, but also on context, language changes, meaning. Whatever the original War of the Worlds, or Star Trek, or Doctor Who, spoke for or to, that is not valid anymore. We can appreciate them, but we can never truly experience exactly what made contemporary people feel they were so great.

To validate this idea, I tried watching my beloved Thundercats again  :down: Couldn't make it past two episodes.

Wait... this guy was responsable of "Blink" and casting Matt Smith?!? And he killed the series?

On the topic of the WIP, I took home the TARDIS and the putty and the scultping tools... and forgot the glue to place the finals pieces in before tidying it up  :down: So nothing done last night.

• Like 2

Moffat did not kill the series.  People have strong opinions about him.

What I find confusing is people complain about how Moffat added elements that were, bluntly, already there under Russel T. Davies: silly pointless episodes and magical "just because" solutions to problems and annoying characters and illogic.  These are not new to Doctor Who.

Doctor Who has always had those elements.  Many episodes have been nothing special.  And then you see something like "The Face of Evil" or "The Curse of Fenric" and go "whoa!"

The good bits are so good.  It's a privilege to see incredible actors doing their best to make a story believable, to see a terrific story and script even if the effects budget is pathetic, to get references and humor, to follow the development of characters and cheer them on.

I don't think Moffat has changed Doctor Who.  I do think people love the show intensely.

• Like 4

@Willen: Wait until she watches 'Blink.'

@Pingo: I don't think Moffat killed Doctor Who, I just think that this is where the disconnect between 'new Who' and 'classic Who' started.

• Like 1