Doctor Who Diorama (and the challenge of building a 28mm TARDIS)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ALL sites worldwide avoid sharing actual dimensions because, apparently, BBC holds a tight leash on the IP for a Police Box.

I don't want to bring unwanted attention to the forum. 

Hint: I shared a pic of my sketch already  :;):

• Like 4

ALL sites worldwide avoid sharing actual dimensions because, apparently, BBC holds a tight leash on the IP for a Police Box.

I don't want to bring unwanted attention to the forum. 

Hint: I shared a pic of my sketch already  :;):

I didn't know that. I did know the BBC owns the trademark for blue British police boxes, much to the displeasure of the British police. The police actually lost in a court case because they had never bothered to trademark their own design.

I suspect the Americans in Hollywood had a hand in this, since it was only trademarked when the American movie was made.

• Like 2

Could be something like that. I learnt that 1:1 scale TARDIS plans are never released among fans because of that, and it is also the reason the actual dimensions of a prop-TARDIS are subject of a lot of speculation.

Because, as you say, is not even the fictional space-time machine that is trademarked. The actual police box look-alike IS. Quite disturbing.

• Like 4

Oooh. I'll PM you when I move. It will be fun for my mom. It also gives me an idea for a diorama that she will adore that is not Dr. Who related at all.

Ouch on the trademark of the police box. That does suck for the police there

• Like 1

@Loim: I find Eccleston smile to be fake and kinda perverse, tbh. Smith makes me care about him. To each their own... LOL

I think Eccleston's smile was supposed to look forced and a bit manic given the ninth doctor was still recovering emotionally from the Time War.  But then I could be biased as I think Ecclestone is an amazing actor.

• Like 3

Saturday update:

Masking and priming white (airbrush):

IMG_20140531_160213_956.jpg

First blue coat, airbrush:

IMG_20140531_162419_611.jpg

Darker blue and lighter blue with airbrush, to set the tone and gradients:

IMG_20140531_165540_133.jpg

Colors used at this stage:

IMG_20140531_170634_394.jpg

I got into it and took no more WIP pics, sorry. So what I did was deepen the shadows in all places that needed it, then upped the highlights up to pure Ashen Blue, then Ashen Blue with an off red-white from VMC (Deck something?).

Blue ink filter to tie it up together, then Burnt Umber ink for the grime and weathering.

IMG_20140531_184535_757.jpg

Sitting in its base:

IMG_20140531_201052_057.jpg

• Like 20

Thank you Pingo!

It looks better on hand, of course. Many spots didn't end up as I envisioned them, but of course, my imagination is flawless and this is reality. Quite cool anyway!

I can't wait to work some on the base, give it a base of paint, and some nuances... I am thinking warm grey to contrast the blue TARDIS, what do you think?

• Like 3

Thank you Pingo!

It looks better on hand, of course. Many spots didn't end up as I envisioned them, but of course, my imagination is flawless and this is reality. Quite cool anyway!

I can't wait to work some on the base, give it a base of paint, and some nuances... I am thinking warm grey to contrast the blue TARDIS, what do you think?

I think that will show the model well. You might want to consider shading subtly out with some of the blue color at the edges of the base, not enough to be really blue but enough to harmonize the base color with the TARDIS. Or not. I just get these painting ideas.

• Like 4

Edge of the base shade into blue? I can do that, thanks for the tip!

I need to weather the bricks themselves; then I will work like old dirt over part of them (and I will cover some imperfections of the plaster casting). Then the idea was to use a grey as base, alter the brightness of random bricks to break uniformity, and add some Umber filter to the whole thing to warm it up.

Cold at the edges, totally possibly. I love the airbrush  :;):

• Like 3