Doctor Who Diorama (and the challenge of building a 28mm TARDIS)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello everybody!   I am enjoying so much this little project (triggered by Jasper's SciFi Challenge!) that I decided it would be better to make it a spin-off thread of my main compiled WIP thread.

Saturday update:   Masking and priming white (airbrush):   First blue coat, airbrush:   Darker blue and lighter blue with airbrush, to set the tone and gradients:   Colors used at this s

Update pic.   If anybody has questions, I can elaborate.  

My wife was looking over my shoulder and insisted that I go through this thread page by page and look at you awesome TARDIS. I barely made it out without her requesting that I make one for her. And we have only seen one season of Dr. Who. Well done, sir, well done.

• Like 6

My wife was looking over my shoulder and insisted that I go through this thread page by page and look at you awesome TARDIS. I barely made it out without her requesting that I make one for her. And we have only seen one season of Dr. Who. Well done, sir, well done.

Don't show her Jordan Peacocks pony thread then.  I speak from experience.

• Like 6

Don't show her Jordan Peacocks pony thread then.  I speak from experience.

Been there, done that. Luckily my daughter has yet to see those pics. My wife was impressed, though.

• Like 3

I had decided to get full on with this today, BUT while a layer of paint was drying some other 90% done minis caught my eyes, and I thought it would be fun to do some little detail work for a change, and... I didn't do much with the TARDIS  :down:

Anyway, only thing missing is tinting the windows, honestly... 

• Like 4

Oh, BTW, if you need any help, just let me know.

• Like 1

Great WIP Willen! I must confess that I've only seen a few episodes of the reboot, and the theme music used to freak me out as a kid so I didn't watch it then either. At any rate, anything scratch built is awesome! Thank you for sharing this with us! 

• 4 weeks later...

I feel I should update you all on this one.

Unfortunately, with personal affairs mixed in, I've had a tough time to just sit down and paint.

I did some, little steps... but steps anyway.

The base was cut out of foamcore, then covered in thin cork... rock-hard dental plaster was used on a cake mold to get brick pavement. 

IMG_20140601_150040_424.jpg

My intention is to make a sewer cover plate the "button" for the lights. So I marked it with a Sharpie, used my Dremel to drill the hole (the plaster is fragile and cracks, as you can also see). Then I worked on the plaster to "weather" the bricks some. The area around the sewer was grinded down (again with the dremel) to sculpt a brick frame for the cover plate.

Here you can see the rough of it:

IMG_20140620_125254_629.jpg

I tested a "Snow Paste" I bought in Italy (too coarse for minis was the outcome), to serve as a "dirt" covering on the bricks. You can also see here the crude Milliput work on the bricks around the cover plate, and the cover plate itself (a button battery).

Last weekend, after cleaning and priming, I finally got to work on the figures a little bit. Basecoats only.

IMG_20140628_185227_174.jpg

IMG_20140628_185217_978.jpg

• Like 14

Little bit of an update. Using newly... refresehd concepts about blending, and trying to improve in that regard, I did some more work on Sunday.

IMG_20140706_181913_165.jpg

I am quite happy with the Dr's pants and shoes. And Amy's leather jacket, which is still missing a second pass of pure black in the shadows, and another Abyssal Blue glaze to smooth it out. I am debating using a more saturated blue right next to the highlights as a glaze as well, what do you think?

I got Amy's eyes perfect (for black-and-white) and then tried to go all DKS on them with green, ruining the paintjob. A couple of tries later, they are still far from good  :down:

IMG_20140706_181952_793.jpg

I spent a lot of time on the skin, but still don't like it. I really need to practice to get smooth skintones.

• Like 9

The shading on the Doctor's pants is really great! Amy's jacket highlighting is just a little too harsh for sure so I think at least one glaze will be good for it. Not sure on the saturated blue glaze though. I think do the first glaze to smooth things out, then see how it looks and if it still needs a smoother transition, then go for adding another glaze.

Are you doing stockings on her legs? I think you said previously that you were. I recently saw a youtube video that explained a technique for doing black stockings that looked really great. I'd dig up a link but youtube is a disaster on my work computer.

Even just as they are now, these are looking truly fantastic!

Yeah, I will think about that blue. I am itching to try some inks, perhaps that's why...  :devil:

Thing with the highlights right now, I think, is that they are too broad. I will smooth them down next session.

And if you can fish out that youtube vid, that would be awesome! The sheer stockings are probably the part of this I fear the most!

• Like 1