Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Back again with some spiders!
I tried out Rangers of Shadow Deep last night and got to break out my spider minis. I've got a few Giant Spiders and Spider Swarms from the D&D board games Castle Ravenloft, and Legend of Drizzt respectively.
I had started these ages ago but quickly became dissatisfied with the direction they were headed. A few months ago I picked them back up and went in a different direction.
The giant spiders in particular were letting me down. The sculpt is pretty undefined. It took some freehand fur work to bring it to life. I also switched from a warm brown tone to a cool grey. I think the added contrast makes them stand out a lot better.
I also added some used dryer sheets as webbing. It's mostly successful. The super glue turned it invisible in places which sort of works as holes in the web. Definitely will revisit this idea again in future projects.
The spider swarms are less successful. I tried to keep three distinct colorations to help them stand apart from one another. But with such poorly defined details, they could have used more contrast. They work well enough. Maybe I'll revisit them, but I tend to just move on after calling something "good enough."
What do you all do for swarm minis? I find that most of mine look rather drab or incomprehensible.
Got a second wing of skimmers to get together and a few more conversions to hack up but the Kulathi Horde is starting to take shape ... 3 strike units to the left, 3 fire units to the right, 2 hound assault up front, 2 heavy weapon teams and 3 command elements in center with skimmer fire support wing around back (skimmer assault wing and ace special in the works) ...
Some paint and basing to go ...
Thank you again Bob Ridolfi for the Kulathi and Kevin Williams for the Hounds of Tindalos ... im sooo glad you can sculpt better than I (try to) paint.
I've been wanting to paint these rat swarms since I got my Bones I shipment.
However, the base was cut into this jagged shape, so I always delayed painting them as I waited on basing them.
Finally, I decided to base some with a good heapin' helpin' of sand. The other two got green stuff treatment to try to blend the base that way.
One was wood planks, and the other was flagstones.
I tried to emphasize fur/hair in the painting.
I totally "phoned it in" on the tails, noses and claws.
I really didn't want to over-spend time on these guys.
Sorry, I realize I didn't give you a good shot of the skull they are swarming over.
Here was a quickie.
The bats are mainly drybrushed then cleaned up with lining.
Then I did the gravestone using Michael Proctor's tips about lots of different colored washes.
It was a bunch of diluted GW Shades and Glazes, then re-lined the stone with Weathered Stone.
I liked it so much, I tried it on the bats themselves to add some interest.
Who's Online 10 Members, 1 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)