MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth's Jade Regent Adventure WIPs

Well I normally like TMM but I rushed things with the Skeletons.  My real issues with any metals, TMM or NMM, is weapons.  I really just can't conceptualize how blades and edges in weapons should be painted and they always look like crap.

• Like 3

I'm totally in that boat as well. I always feel like I've chosen the wrong angle when I highlight weapons for NMM, and TMM is just a real challenge for me in general. I feel like I can't see the paint properly, and end up overworking it. You're definitely not alone!

• Like 1

So some good work today if not a lot. Pretty much only had about 3 hours today and it will probably be the same tomorrow. I can probably finish the Nezumi in that time if I don't work on the Skeleton--which I might do.

Speaking of both. I went back and touched up a lot of the bone. There are still some rough areas (like the hand holding the sword) but it's a lot better. Went through with a darker shade made of Reaper Woodstain Brown and Scale Color Abyssal Blue (dark blue gray) then redid a lot of the base and highlights. Didn't have time for the metal but I can fix those problem area's pretty quick I think.

Changing the background away from blue also helped my camera focus. Still a bit dark but it works.

post-6838-0-06413600-1404800876_thumb.jpg

The Nezumi has advanced quite well too. I wanted to use a non-white eye so I painted it with Scale Color Kalahari Orange and Tenere Yellow. The trick to eyes is some good contrast and the dark orange and desaturated yellow really stick out against each other. To help out that contrast I've decided to go with a black fur rat and started with Scale Color Abyssal Blue and then started to add Scale Color Nacor to that color up to pure Nacor. Then I highlighted with an off white (scale color White Sand). There are some glazes of the Abyssal Blue to help blending.

I decided against trying to pull out all the hair and instead decided to follow a skin style shading and highlighting and used the brighter highlights to pull out some hairs. This was done for speed and because the rat only had about 2/3rds of his hair actually sculpted. It was maybe about an hour or so of work and part of that was waiting for glazes to dry but I'm pretty satisfied with the look.

The affect is a bit strong with all the white where skin will be but that will be a non-issue once I'm done.

post-6838-0-08474800-1404801225_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Looking terrific... Love all the color ranges you are throwing at these mini's !

Like the way you are leading us to the next increment of change !

Didn't realize I hadn't commented in this thread yet, I've been following and liking your work here MS. You definitely have a style all your own and it's really enjoyable to see how you paint things up and see the progress on all your wonderful figures. Good job!

Whelp, done with the nezumi and skeleton. Need to get photos but it's late so tomorrow. I'll get the goblins as well.

Now the questions is what to paint next?

There is a tengu as the main boss for module 1 but I've only got some tiny tengu from Zenit and they really don't fit the bill. That would mean buying one from Bushido, as they've got a great one, but I'm not ready to make any mini orders yet (want to wait till I order PCs).

There are a bunch of troglodytes in the last 3rd of the book and I could replace them with goblins or Gaki (a Japanese creature that I have a few models of from Zenit), there are also some Dire Corgie that are bird creatures without wings. Not sure what to do with those as I do have some things from Hell Dorado that could fit--but not enough so I'd have to buy a few.

There are also so good and evil fey that I'm thinking of replacing with kappa and\or tanuki.

I should really make a list of what's needed encounter wise (assuming 5th will have the same ratio of creatures) and place it on the front page of this with what I'm planning on using so I can keep track of stuff.

• Like 1

@KruleBear I've got the Gaki and some tanuki with some primer drying right now. Will have picks tonight.

@Runlord Many are trying to convince Meirce Miniatures to do a similar as a monstrous mount.

I also made an order with a bunch of new minis as I'm weak.

OK.As I start prepping for each of the modules for the Jade Regent adventure path I'll do one of these posts that lists what minis I'm going to use for what and have a list for each module and link the post to the first post in the thread. I'm not going to list generics like rats, spiders and so on unless I plan on changing them or painting something specific. So lets start shall we:

Brinewall legacy. This is will be modified as I'm starting in an Asian country so I'm replacing what I can with minis and creatures for the theme.

Player Races

• Humans: From many lines. Kensai, Bushido, Darksword, Reaper, L5R Clanwar, Blackhat, Okko, Wyrd and more I'm probably forgetting.
  • Elfs: Probably just use humans.  May buy different heads.
  • Dwarfs:  May not have in the campaign but there's one from Warcrow (OOP I think), Clock Work Paladin (Boutique Resin) and Stonehaven (at least one monk). 
  • Halflings: Not sure if I'll have in.  May replace with Nezumi\ratlings
  • Gnomes: Replacing with magical creatures players may want to play.  Kappa, Tanuiki, Kitsune.

Monsters (somewhat in order in the campaign)

• Goblins: Grebbo Asian goblin football team as well as generic PP as I don't have time to paint a horde.
  • Ogres: Greebo, Bushido, Reaper.  Lots of good Asian ogres out there.
  • Sinspan: have no idea what this is. But will replace it with a Gaki or similar monster.
  • Faceless stalker: Kitsune or Tanuki. Could take a creature from Bushido if I have the time to paint something new.
  • Dire Rats: No change. Going to paint up the bones rats.
  • Ratling (pathfinder version): Nezumi
  • Skeletons: Ordered some from L5R Clanwar.  Will use generics to fill in as needed.
  • Skeleton Boss: Gaikotsu from Zenit's Kensei
  • Bandits: Have a mix of things from Bushido and Kensei.  Will fill in with PPP as needed.
  • Reefclaws: Kappa (if I can track the minis down). If not some lizardmen.
  • Corbies: Not sure here yet. Right now thinking of painting the Zenit Tengu
  • Ettercap: Goblin
  • Ogrekin: Oni from the ogre list above.
  • Tengu: Bushido's tengu
  • Troglodyte: Gaki
  • Haunt: Wyrd Sorrows
  • Wight: Gaikotsu from Zenit's Kensai or Izamu from Wyrd if I have time
  • Harpy: Tengu
  • Like 3

Dire Corgis? I love Dire Corgis! They have +12 to listen checks when food is involved.

people just don't know the horror that corgis represent.  

• Like 2

Massive picture update go!

OK.  I finally made myself go photo everything--though I was putting a lot of dull coat on today to bring everything down across the board so that's my excuse on the delay. :ph34r:

All of these pictures are much larger if you click them.

First up:  GOBLINS!

Not much to say about these guys as last time I posted them I just had leather and some of the white cloth straps to finish up.

post-6838-0-58923900-1405320729_thumb.jpg

post-6838-0-48151500-1405320753_thumb.jpg

post-6838-0-05078700-1405320773_thumb.jpg

post-6838-0-70658200-1405320796_thumb.jpg

Next in line is Gaikotsu:

He changed a bit. Mostly clean up on the bones and metal. For the metal I glazed up with Scale Color Graphite which is a gray that was handy then, once I had my tansitions from shade to midtone I added back in Reaper Polished Silver and Reaper Pearl White. I added some extra shading via Secret Weapon Soft Body and Hard Body Blacks.

The red armor is GW Blood Red shaded down with Secret Weapon Algae and Soft Body Black and highlighted by mixing P3 Heartfire and White into the base over a few highlights. The cloth I tried to do as faded, the armor is lacquered so it wouldn't fade as much I figure, and its a Reaper sample that I think is similar to Dead Rose. It's shades are Soft Body Black and Secret Weapon Ruby and highlights are P3 Menoth White mixed in the base.

Leather is Reaper Ruddy Leather Shaded down with Secret Weapon Algae and highlighted with Reaper Oiled Leather and Golden Skin Highlight. The bag is Golden Skin highlight shaded down with Scale Color Dubai Brown and Soft Body Black with P3 Menoth White Highlight as the highlight.

His base recipe is similar but I did a base of Reaper Mahogany Red over the black before adding the yellows and whites for the sand and greens for the bamboo.

post-6838-0-82932000-1405321287_thumb.jpg

Lastly is the Nezumi:

His skin is Reaper Golden Skin shaded with Secret Weapon Baby Poop and Soft Body Black. Highlights are Golden Skin Highlight and some Scale Color White Sands I believe. His tail and ears are Golden Skin shaded down with P3 Skin wash and the same highlights as the rest of the skin.

post-6838-0-50133500-1405321406_thumb.jpg

I enjoyed painting him and ordered another since this mini is clearance at most places.

Edited by MonkeySloth
  • Like 9

OK. Now for WIPs.

The Ogre Oni:

Finally decided to just add some skulls. Nothing fancy and I hope I don't need to add any straps or chains to the skulls to make them look attached as the indent seams to fit them quite nicely. I should get back to him here in the next few days.

post-6838-0-52854000-1405321907.jpg

New WIPs Gaki from Zenit:

These guys are more or less the ghouls of Asian mythology. I believe their from Buddhism so they're around in a lot of cultures different names.

I'm painting up three, and have a larger one from the Bushido line coming in the mail, so I'm doing a few different paint schemes for the fun if it.

The first one is a base of Scale Color Violet+Scale Color Sky Blue + White. His eyes are shaded down with Reaper Dusky Skin and highlighted with P3 Menoth White Highlight. I need to touch up one eye but I want them to be the brightest parts as its creepy. The skin shades are Reaper Ruddy Leather and Ruddy Leather with black. Highlights are Reaper Fair Skin mixed in with the base and some Scale Color Nascar Mixed in with that. I wanted to try and do one highlight and glaze up intensity but that was taking too long so I added the Nacar.

post-6838-0-03345000-1405322212.jpg

The other two are base coated and I'll be moving on to them tomorrow.

post-6838-0-24687600-1405322249.jpg

New WIP Tanukis from Zenit:

Thes guys are just primed and I'll move on to them soon. Not sure if I'll finish up the Oni Ogre first or do these guys but they should go pretty quick. Only painting up two as I'm going to allow them as a PC in replacement of Gnomes and the 3rd in the set looks more like an adventurer just from his pose.

post-6838-0-86850300-1405322371.jpg

After these I think I'll do some more Oni as I need some. I might paint up another one from Greebo, have a different pose, or I might do something that takes a little longer:

post-6838-0-97214300-1405322432.jpg

• Like 8