galladril

Sculpting Putty Differences

Yep, it can be pretty bad...

As for shelf-life on Milliput, I've had packs sat around for a couple of years with no problems. I don't know what they recommend though...

I've seen multiple recommendations that you freeze epoxy putties to extend their shelf life.

Note: I haven't done this. If you do it and it wrecks the putty, oopsie.  ^_^

I've used GS and Milliput for different things. I think I enjoy Milliput better (used it a while back to make a paved road for the SciFi contest... no WIP just yet...) Of course, my skin does not like Milliput as it dries me out! I like GS too, but I find mp easier to work with. That said, they both have different uses for different applications...

I'm pretty much walking away from Milliput at this point.  Now that I've tried Apoxie Sculpt, I can't go back.  Apoxie just works better than the Milliput for applications where one needs hard curing and a tool-able surface.  That said, I still use GS for about 85% of everything I sculpt.

• Like 4

Hmmm, haven't tried Apoxie Sculpt. Then again, I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing in the first place! Lol!

I've been told by people whose sculpting ability is better than my own* that Aves is pretty similar in characteristics to Magic Sculp, which is quite inexpensive in bulk.

* I can sometimes (perhaps even "often") sculpt convincing rolling ground for bases.  ::P:

Ok - I just ordered a pound of the white.  I think that it may be the solution I'm looking for. 

The casting wax experiment isn't working for me.  It is great to carve but it is a pain to work with - I keep burning myself.  I'm sure it will have it's uses but just not my primary sculpting medium for terrain.

I found a box of Mighty Putty (As See on TV!) on sale at Michael's once, and bought it just because it was so cheap.  I used it when I needed to do bases on my set of 24 LoTR goblins.  It worked great for that, but it is not good for fine sculpting.  I also used it as filler, again, because it was cheap.  You get a lot in one box.  It comes with latex gloves for handling, but I think that's just to cover the manufacturer in case someone has a reaction.  It didn't seem any more toxic to me than any other epoxy putty I've used.  It did stink, though, like the chemicals they put in your hair for a perm.

519rGBDZ9wL._SY300_.jpgGoblins002.jpg