02981 Lonnia: Female Duelist and 14481 Galdanoth: Elf Sniper

So yes, I have actually been painting stuff, even though I haven't been good about updating my WIP. Here's my latest. Comments and critiques eagerly desired. Anything to get better is a good thing, even if it means pointing out everything I did wrong.

post-8132-0-03052400-1401230369_thumb.jpgpost-8132-0-02869500-1401230374_thumb.jpg

post-8132-0-36174900-1401230394.jpgpost-8132-0-99964700-1401230398.jpg

• Like 15

My only real critiques for you are shading/highlights. For example: on Lonnia, her blue needs more depth with shading/highlights to me. Her skin is REALLY nice. Both paint jobs are very clean.

• Like 1

Ub3r already stated what I would give as general critiques. Both minis have very clean lines and the photos are likely taking away some of your hard work and trust me I suffer from photography also.

With Lonnia what I really like, your skin is beautiful and really looks defined with highs and lows yet remains very feminine and pretty. Her eye that I can see looks well done except for the bit of extra black by her nose. Try adding a white reflection dot to her eye to really make it pop and look more realistic. I also really like her blouse color particularly the middle and her right arm, the left one with the sword looks too shiny and not as smooth as the rest. I didn't know what exactly it is but I don't care for the white it almost looks pearl and and not quite like fabric. I think a very light gray or off white would suit her better. I avoid using pure white on minis as it is terribly difficult to pull off and we don't really see much true white in real life, and off white can look more realistic then true white. Overall she looks great and other than the white the colors look great together and her blonde hair really sets off the color choices.

It appears that Galdonoth may have been a quicker paint job as his skin looks a bit unfinished without as much depth as Lonnia's. Also the blues clash a bit for me on him. It looks like you have the cloak, the scarf and skirt(loin cloth thing) all different shades. I like the cloak color and the work you put into it but the other blues do not appear to be of the same standard. I also like your variations with the browns but a little bit of lining between them would set them apart nicely. Overall I will say he looks good but I would consider revisiting the blue on his skirt and maybe going with a different color.

Both look good and I would be proud to have them on the tabletop. I hope some of my critiques help and thank you for showing your work. Can't wait to see more.

• Like 5

Hey it's Lonnia! I actually have her in my queue as a mini for my wife. I've been considering doing her in blue as well, but I think I may try a different color since you just did blue. It does look as if you spent a bit more time on her, but I tend to give the ladies a bit more attention too. Great job!  ^_^

• Like 2

I think a lighter blue might have worked better as a shadow for the white, it looks too intense of a blue, and too close to the other blue on her coat/shirt.  Perhaps, also, line along the face, where it meets the hairline, with a darker skin tone?  I can't tell if you did that because it looks like shadows are naturally in the picture. 

Sorry, I'm not much help.  :down:

• Like 1

with Lonnia, I think part of my problem is the sealer coat is too glossy. With Galdanoth, well, I wanted the blues to be distinct from eachother, and his loincover thing seems like it is meant to be metal to me, so that's why i went for a shiny laquered look. Still, I can understand the critique about them not quite meshing.

I thank you all for the critiques. I know I have a long way to go to get where I want to be, and every bit helps.

• Like 6

Good job. In regards to L's white portions. Are they straight white, or did you mix it with a different color to bring it down a bit? The white looks rather harsh. One rule I'm learning rather quickly is that one should never use straight white or straight black. They should be mixed with another color so they are less harsh. For example, mix pure white with ashen grey, then paint it onto your mini. Other than that, her flesh looks awesome! Well done.

Issues with the white could be a camera thing.  I've noticed I get much better pictures if I photograph before sealing, especially if there will be any gloss at all.  Often I get so excited to use a finished mini that I forget. 

Unfortunately I can't tell you how to take better pictures, I take a lot of them in different spots and some of them turn out okay. 

I'm guessing that there's some lovely detail bits on the side of that archer.  Are you focusing on faces right now?  Cloth?  Like many people have said, they are nice, clean paint jobs.  I get the feeling you're looking to add that 'wow' factor, and I'm not sure how to get there myself. 

• Like 1

skin and cloth. Smooth transitions between colours especially, are what Iam focusing on improving right now. Then I will work on eyes and faces. Yeah, I am looking to get past the tabletop and into the show piece level.

• Like 1

Yeah, I am looking to get past the tabletop and into the show piece level.

Huge hurdle, that. I think you're making good progress towards it, though.

I see some parts on both minis where you've lined, and some parts on both minis where you didn't. It's especially noticeable on her blue top (between the white lace and blue jacket, and the gold cuffs and blue sleeves), and his scaled...umm...flap (between the individual scales).

• Like 1

Yeah. I tend to not line between two colours that are going to be very distinct, such as blue and white. Is that something I should change?

Can always line with the shade of the darker color in that transitional spot so for blue it'd be your blue liner or darkest blue.

Yeah. I tend to not line between two colours that are going to be very distinct, such as blue and white. Is that something I should change?

I've started doing it. I've noticed that where one thing butts up against (or overlaps in the case of cloth) another, there's always a shadow, either on one side or the other. I hope that makes sense, I'm still in 'grunts and burps' mode.
  • Like 1