Sign in to follow this  
Loim

Shiny washes

I have a question to pose. I make washes in dropper bottles using acrylic ink, matte medium, flow improver, and distilled water. Despite everything I've tried so far my washes tend to dry at least a little shiny, if not a lot. Are there any good ways to combat this? Thanks in advance. 

Matte varnish after you're done painting?

That's about the size of it. Washes are shiny, I've found no solution to this.

Also... maybe... just an hypothesis... maybe less ink in the wash? You'd have to apply an additional layer to get the depth you want, maybe, but it might help.

• Like 1

You could experiment with matte additive (Reaper makes one which is reputedly VERY potent and to be used with caution) but my go-to solution to all gloss problems is aerosol Testor's Dullcote. Be warned that humidity, heat, etc can interfere with it, and also, SHAKE THE CAN THOROUGHLY. And make sure the paint job is well-cured before you Dullcote over the top.

• Like 1

Agreed with all the points above.  Washes and glazes I make using paint tend to be more matte than the times I have used ink, but only if I keep the number of additives down.  As soon as I start to add flow improver or airbrush medium, the gloss comes in.  Like everyone else, a quick shot of dull-cote brings everything back down to matte for me, especially if it's so glossy it's hindering my painting.  You can always keep painting past that point and then seal it again when you're done!

Ink is probably the main culprit, those tend to be pretty shiny. Test your wash mixes with a matte paint. If it's still looking shiny, test decreasing the amount of the non-water dilutants. (Test each separately, if you want to be very thorough.) If you like the effect of the inks, you can experiment with adding matting agent such as the Reaper anti-shine, otherwise you'll probably have to go with a matte sealer as mentioned.

Can't stress enough to wait until everything is COMPLETELY DRY before spraying matte varnish on top.  Especially when using inks that are "water resistant" as opposed to "waterproof".  The ink will run at the slightest provocation.

• Like 1