Reading Rainbow

ahayford

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

took me several years to realize that levar Burton and Geordi where the same person. I was not the most observant of children

Same here. I never made that connection either until my brother pointed it out. I'm like...wahhhhh? But he's not blind! -_-

Definitely backing this. ^_^

• Like 3

Reading Rainbow was my favoritest show when I was little. Sure, I loved Sesame Street, and Mr Rogers, but Reading Rainbow had BOOKS!

I always though of Geordi as the Reading Rainbow guy. It blew my little mind that the same guy could be two different people on TV.

If you haven't watched the video in the update, you should :wub:

• Like 4

There is nothing skeevy here.

Reading Rainbow ended in 2006, PBS funding woes caused the cancellation. And even though it was not for profit, everyone still got paid. Profit isn't inherently evil, and I feel pretty confident that any money raised over and above the target will not be lining LeVar Burton's pocket, but will just allow them to reach more children. Annual licensing fees just allow them to continue the service in years to come.

LeVar isn't doing this to make money, check his imdb page, he's still a very successful actor, the third season of Perception starts in a couple weeks (fun show btw, everyone should check it out).

He's a good man, doing good for children.

• Like 7

It's not for profit. They need fund to produce the material. From what I understand, they'll continue to make the field trip videos, which require money to make. Schools which cannot afford the service will hopefully be provided it for free.

• Like 2

It is a "for profit" in the sense that it is a private company providing a service, and not a "non-profit" entity like PBS. Levar bough the rights, I believe, with his own money, because he feels so strongly about RR and its message. I think what some of the current PBS folks forget, is you have to *want* to learn something to be effectively taught it. That is what RR does, and why I think it has touched so many people. Providing the app and tools free of charge to as many classrooms as possible is a great cause.

• Like 7