Reading Rainbow

ahayford

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yea, that's why I didn't bother posting the current trend. First day had $44M. I'm positive it'll break into the top ten but I'd love to see it become #1.

ETA: Cool KS updated the way it tracks Most Funded projects to include live KS's instead of having to wait until after funding is complete. RR is currently #16 and only needs $575K to break into the top ten.

Edited by nakos
  • Like 3

No offense to Reaper, but this is possibly the best thing that will EVER happen on Kickstarter.

I said yesterday that it is my sincere desire that this KS become the new #1 all-time raiser.  My wife and I are currently going over our finances to secure every discretionary penny we can for this project before it closes. She is currently trying to decide if we can sell a kidney each (5 total).

Nothing will make me happier than if this project goes stratospheric.  I loved Reading Rainbow as a child, and believe in the cause of literacy, especially youth education. The plan to ask those with the means to pay, and to offer those without the means (which are at the highest risk of high illiteracy rates) a way to receive the products for free is amazing. 

I am sorely wishing I had the money to get a classroom or even school account.  I would love to walk into my interview for a teaching position this summer and include "Yeah I own 20 one year licenses to Reading Rainbow"  :lol:

• Like 9

Yeah, I failed my Will Save on backing this about the point that my mind comprehended that it was in fact Reading Rainbow. The only problem is I am still paying off stuff from my reapercon trip so I can't back as highly as I want to.

• Like 5

I'm there with this.

Everyone yammers about how education is so vitally important, but NO ONE seems to think that we, as a society, should PAY for it. Politicians scream that they're putting too much money in as it is, can't afford it, can't afford it, while class sizes climb and special education programs scrabble by on whatever bones the district is willing to throw them.

Education IS vitally important, and reading well is the foundation. There's not a reason why most American children shouldn't START their education knowing how to read; my mom taught me how before I ever saw a classroom. But that was in a day and age where stay at home parents were a lot more common than they are now.

In a world more perfect than the one we have, Reading Rainbow would still be on the air, still funded, and still with LeVar Burton, if he felt like it. It's not like he didn't do an awesome job last time.

Yeah, I can fund this. To the limits of my feeble ability.

• Like 6

We don't have an iPad here at our house except when we borrow one. Otherwise we would probably already pay for a monthly fee to the Reading Rainbow app.

That being said, we have a Kindle Fire, Android phones and a couple of PCs. This Kickstarter will mean more Reading Rainbow around my house.

I have little use for the app in my middle school classroom (or at least I would assume), but I have already sparked the idea of pushing the app on a few of the primary/intermediate teachers that I have on Facebook. I will push harder closer to the end of the campaign.

• Like 5

I was just wondering if Reading Rainbow repeats are still on the air.  I know I can google it, but lazy Sunday and all.  I don't remember seeing it on when I would look for shows for my daughter. Books are timeless so I don't see a reason why the old episodes wouldnt be as relevant today as when they first aired.

Another PBS favorite from when I was wee was The Electric Company (Spider-Man!).  They have updated it and imho it's a disaster. Unlike Sesame Street for instance which kept to it's formula, The Electric Company is just bad public theatre with an urban twist.

• Like 1