Random Challenge: thread two

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My cousin's cancer tests just came back in the clear! Second surgery to shrink the tumor in two weeks.

Sympathy like.   We've been having similar problems, with poop but not pee... And can't quite tell if it's protest over my working hours, or new cleanliness fussiness over the litter box. We might

My 15-1/2 year old son just landed his very first job, working for an International House of Pancakes restaurant as a dishwasher and busboy. His first shift was yesterday and his second is tomorrow. 

Ohhhhh so I was right it was morning for you.... just disgusting hours of the morning.

Eh, I'm 1600 to midnight watch last night and tonight... unfortunately, after I get off at midnight tonight, I'm back on at 8 tomorrow for the day watch. So I'd best get some sleep today, while I can...
  • Like 6

Left 4am, have to wake up I'm four hours, working and have and tonight.

Edit: I swear typing on my kindle is evil.

Edit 2...what the heck did I say.....

It's 4am and I have to be up in four hours. Then work and dnd tonight.

Edited by MissMelons
  • Like 7

Good evening!  Hope everybody is having a great day!

Just about over for me. I'm off to bed soon. ^_^

What time is it for you guys?  Its 5.48pm here.....

It's 1:15am for me here.

• Like 2

Currently 1:29 am. I should be in bed, but a forumite's Quest for Glory 1 fighter avatar sent me on a nostalgia-steeped two hour search for a couple of old DOS games I remembered playing when I was a weeBoot. I actually ended up finding them too, which was surprising, given that I had only vague memories of one of them. Thank you google!  :bday:

For those who are curious, they were Alley Cat, Catch 'Em, The Island of Dr. Brain, and The Castle of Dr. Brain.  ^_^

Alley Cat is the very first game I have conscious memories playing. It's...a lot harder than I remember. Also, way more random.  :huh:

Catch 'em, I can't quite get to work right; I need to figure out how to remap the keys for it in DOSBox, as well as how to slow the thing down. There were things flying by at mach speeds, I swear.  :wacko: I used to be a pro at it; we'll see how well I'll do now.  :lol:

The Island of Dr. Brain is one I have fond memories of playing for hours and hours when I was a bit older. Through it, I got my first introductions to fine art, chemistry, computer programming, converting units of measure, and a whole host of other things.  ^_^ I haven't actually played the Castle one, which is a predecessor to Island, but I figured hey, why not?

I've also learned that I have completely forgotten how to navigate in DOS. I had to look up how to change directories!  :rolleyes:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 9

I've also learned that I have completely forgotten how to navigate in DOS. I had to look up how to change directories!  :rolleyes:

Huzzah!

cd is one of the few commands that's consistent between DOS and *nix (which I use regularly at work)

• Like 6

The first computer game I remember playing was this awesome Pac-Man-esque thing called Munchies, where you play as a red Pac-Man type dude and run around the screen trying to get food and avoid bouncing cutlery and (for some reason) fire-breathing skulls. I found a port of it a while back, but sadly it requires outdated PowerPro software, and I haven't been able to get it to run. :down:

• Like 3

I had to teach them how to hold the brush as Tori was going up to the metal thingy.

Are... are you not supposed to go up to the ferrule (metal thingy)? I always hold mine right up near the bristles. How do you get any control at all if you hold it further back?

Brushes can be held in a number of ways analagous to the way one holds a pencil. For minute precision work such as we do in miniature painting, holding the brush closer to the business end, by the ferrule, works best. A grip farther back gives more control for larger, flowing strokes.

I had some exacting teachers, but I cannot remember any of them telling us where we had to hold the brush.

• Like 9

My tummy hurts. About the time I went to bed yesterday my tummy muscles started hurting quite a bit. Makes reading the amusing thing y'all say painful. :lol:

Batch #1 of the strawberries was delicious! I think I'll make strawberry short cake for father's day. I wonder how difficult that would be to take to the zoo...

@OneBoot: Hey, you live in Washington now. Come autumn there will be fresh salmon all over the place. Best place to get it: your local reservation. They make the best smoked salmon too. nom nom!

I don't think I've ever had chowder, fish or clam

You poor, poor dragon crab ::(:

• Like 8

...Oh whoops, I'm getting my clam chowder and fish chowders confuzzled.  :lol: I think I like fish chowder slightly more, since I don't have to worry about the occasional piece of sand  :wacko: in my soup.

The best chowder I've ever had was made with super fresh salmon. As in, it had been swimming around just a few hours before. So very delicious....

Oh. Maybe I'd better change topics before Siri comes back. She might not like all this talk about eating her subjects.  :unsure:

Um,

Huzzah!

Yuck, the red stuff, no thanks. I'd rather go hungry.

I'm pleased to say that the three of us can still be friends. :;):

I have nothing against seafood soup, but there are no tomatoes in my chowdah. (Fish, clam, or otherwise)

This would be the "red abomination" cited above, yes. Yet another injustice inflicted upon the world by that den of sin and iniquity some call "New York City."

No it was not.

Tomato-based clam chowder was developed by Portugese immigrants in Rhode Island.

"Manhattan" and "New York" were insults New Englanders hurled at things they considered abominable.

I am a New Englander married to a Manhattan boy. I like to keep regional insults straight.

This is true, but these days restaurants in and around southern New England usually serve a "Rhode Island" clam chowder that is, essentially, a watered down version of the traditional New England chowder. The Manhattan moniker has stuck.

In other news, I have to be in a class pretty much all day, so I won't be able to keep up with the forums. In my absense, I leave you with a series of awesome Star Control II play-through videos, posted by a good friend of mine:

Video 3 includes the Pkunk, for extra loopy fun.

• Like 5

Skinny cat has taken to sitting in the bathroom sink. I thought the first two times of turning on the faucet while he was in it would discourage him, but apparently he's not that smart. Or he's just that obstinate.

• Like 11

Skinny cat has taken to sitting in the bathroom sink. I thought the first two times of turning on the faucet while he was in it would discourage him, but apparently he's not that smart. Or he's just that obstinate.

Some cats love sinks. The porcelain is cool and they feel safely enclosed while still having height.

Oh and on chowder: I've never been impressed by it. I keep thinking someone needs to teach those poor Northerners how to make gumbo.

• Like 13

I had to teach them how to hold the brush as Tori was going up to the metal thingy.

Are... are you not supposed to go up to the ferrule (metal thingy)? I always hold mine right up near the bristles. How do you get any control at all if you hold it further back?

Brushes can be held in a number of ways analagous to the way one holds a pencil. For minute precision work such as we do in miniature painting, holding the brush closer to the business end, by the ferrule, works best. A grip farther back gives more control for larger, flowing strokes.

I had some exacting teachers, but I cannot remember any of them telling us where we had to hold the brush.

I should clarify. She was getting paint up to there, which led to me teaching how to hold the brush to avoid that happening.

• Like 6