Random Challenge: thread two

Why do I have a nagging feeling that it's a cocktail party on a White Star Line ship?

Not all of their voyages ended badly...

Unrelatedly, 1400. I am swimming slowly up into the Renaissance...

527. Some ... um, Byzantine stuff happened.

*lights a campfire, pulls up a log, and has a seat*

What kind of stuff Pingo?  :rock:

Welp, Justinian the First became emperor, if that's a big deal to someone. But I had to look it up. Apart from Constantine (324) and Charlemagne (800 -- very easy to remember), I tend to lose track of who was emperor when.

• Like 6
  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My cousin's cancer tests just came back in the clear! Second surgery to shrink the tumor in two weeks.

Sympathy like.   We've been having similar problems, with poop but not pee... And can't quite tell if it's protest over my working hours, or new cleanliness fussiness over the litter box. We might

My 15-1/2 year old son just landed his very first job, working for an International House of Pancakes restaurant as a dishwasher and busboy. His first shift was yesterday and his second is tomorrow. 

So, sitting in a conference room with clients and the rest of the design team the last day and a half, plus most of the afternoon with the client in breakout sessions...n project manager walks into the room where I am discussing what they wanted for dinner/where they were going to eat tonight, interrupts us, and asks the client if the want to go to Restaurant "X" with him and the Account Manager. He then turns to me and goes, "you can come too, if you want".

Uhm, gee, thanks for the afterthought?

Way to put me on the spot?

• Like 9

So, sitting in a conference room with clients and the rest of the design team the last day and a half, plus most of the afternoon with the client in breakout sessions...n project manager walks into the room where I am discussing what they wanted for dinner/where they were going to eat tonight, interrupts us, and asks the client if the want to go to Restaurant "X" with him and the Account Manager. He then turns to me and goes, "you can come too, if you want".

Uhm, gee, thanks for the afterthought?

Way to put me on the spot?

Yeah really. Sympathy like btw.

• Like 3

1624 was a leap year... Louis XIII appointed Cardinal Richelieu to the position of First Minister and Martin Luther's German translation of the Bible is publicly burned by order of the Pope. Twenty years after the death of Gracie O'Malley...

• Like 5

>.>...i click my notifications whenever i see one

You've got another one! ::D:

Also, I was off by a hundred or so. >_< 1528.

Albrecht Dürer died. ::(:

• Like 1

I couldn't keep up during the day.

@OneBoot: Alley Cat! I played that game when I was five. I enjoyed the random minigames. Could never win though...stupid boot! (Not you).

@Ub3r. I hear bad things about Vegas heat. The Bay Area is going to hit 3 digit temps during the summer so that's going to suck. It was 101 a few days ago. And grats on your 8000 post.

• Like 1

>.>...i click my notifications whenever i see one

You've got another one! ::D:

Also, I was off by a hundred or so. >_< 1528.

Albrecht Dürer died. ::(:

Oh, sorry. :down: Too soon?

Well, he was 57, so ... yes. Not like Raphaël, who was only 37 when he died. But yes.

• Like 5

Welp, Justinian the First became emperor, if that's a big deal to someone. But I had to look it up. Apart from Constantine (324) and Charlemagne (800 -- very easy to remember), I tend to lose track of who was emperor when.

The problem is that most of that period had no western emperor, and the Byzantines were becoming more remote. So you ended up with folks like Chuck "The Hammer" as effective ruler under the title of majordomo from 715 (until he chooses not to name a new king and directly rules in the interregnum from 737). Aside from the seige of Constantinople (718) and Chuck's Tours in 732, the only other 8th century date that comes to mind is 751/752, when Pepin (a couple majordomos down the line) overthrows the king and seizes power.

edit: Charlemagne is actually crowned Christmas day in 800. One of the few dates that is easily remembered.

Edited by KevinR
  • Like 4