Random Challenge: thread two

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My cousin's cancer tests just came back in the clear! Second surgery to shrink the tumor in two weeks.

Sympathy like.   We've been having similar problems, with poop but not pee... And can't quite tell if it's protest over my working hours, or new cleanliness fussiness over the litter box. We might

My 15-1/2 year old son just landed his very first job, working for an International House of Pancakes restaurant as a dishwasher and busboy. His first shift was yesterday and his second is tomorrow. 

"It's Norma at the market. It bounced. You want me to tear it up, send it back, or put it with the others?"

Should that be over here? :rock:

I work in non-euclidean ways. :;,;:

Also, as I was watching the end of a Rockford Files episode on Netflix, I thought of it more as a current event rather than a quote.  :;):

Edited by Erifnogard
  • Like 3

Why do I have a nagging feeling that it's a cocktail party on a White Star Line ship?

Not all of their voyages ended badly...

Unrelatedly, 1400. I am swimming slowly up into the Renaissance...

527. Some ... um, Byzantine stuff happened.

*lights a campfire, pulls up a log, and has a seat*

What kind of stuff Pingo?  :rock:

Welp, Justinian the First became emperor, if that's a big deal to someone.

It was huge.

Justinian the Great was emperor when the Byzantine Empire reconquered Italy. The armies were led by Belisarius, who might have been the best general in history and Narses the eunuch.

It was a disaster for Italy, of course.

Fascinating period in history.

• Like 6

It was huge.

Justinian the Great was emperor when the Byzantine Empire reconquered Italy. The armies were led by Belisarius, who might have been the best general in history and Narses the eunuch.

Reportedly didn't end well for Belisarius, either. ::(:

For those sci-fi inclined, there are two great retellings of Belisarius' epic; Eric Flint's An Oblique Approach speculates on what would have happened if Belisarius became host to a futuristic AI (sent back in time to battle another futuristic AI), and S.M Stirling/David Weber's The General take place in a retro-future-steampunk-Napoleonic world that more or less retells Belisarius, as well.

Both series were great reads. ::D:

• Like 4

It was huge.

Reportedly didn't end well for Belisarius, either. ::(:

For those sci-fi inclined, there are two great retellings of Belisarius' epic; Eric Flint's An Oblique Approach speculates on what would have happened if Belisarius became host to a futuristic AI (sent back in time to battle another futuristic AI), and S.M Stirling/David Weber's The General take place in a retro-future-steampunk-Napoleonic world that more or less retells Belisarius, as well.

Both series were great reads. ::D:

I bought and read both series as they came out. And I agree that both are excellent.

It really is a fascinating era in Byzantine history. The Empress Theodora, the Nika riots, wars with the Sassanids, conquest of North Africa, religious heresies. The more you read about the era, the more interesting it becomes. And it's pretty well documented (for the era, anyway).

• Like 5

It is a pretty fascinating time in history, and puts paid to the opinion that between the fall of Rome and the rise of Europe in the Medieval period all was "Dark Ages." There were a lot of things going on!

• Like 4

Bit bored, so here's a new doodle of a monster!

The mobile mushroom! A swamp-dwelling fungus that waits under shady trees for adventurers to make camp or stop to rest, when they'll uproot themselves and several will bind themselves around the victim, strangling them and ensuring themselves a good source of food for weeks to come!

MobileMushroom_zpsb796f3e7.jpg

• Like 12