Random Challenge: thread two

I believe in older versions of D&D, stirges looked more bird-like.  Wikipedia says the same thing, but with no citations and I'm too lazy to go look up an old module right now.  (Okay, okay, my arm hurts too much to go move a bunch of books around.)  Perhaps that's just how we played it, because the DMs loved to have the cute little birds sneak up and suck 1d4 hit points out of you when you least expected it. 

I am really, really looking forward to the end of school.  There is way too much going on this year, and somehow it all requires my assistance. 

Took me some digging, but yes they were as they were part of greek mythology as birds. I recalled them from one of the stories. The D&D version used now looks like an overgrown fiendish mosquito

Edit: Sorry. Correction. Mixed them up with the bronze feathered birds. Sorry. Where did I read about Stirges out side of D&D. I could swear it was in a mythology somewhere

Edited by Flamehawke
  • Like 5
  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My cousin's cancer tests just came back in the clear! Second surgery to shrink the tumor in two weeks.

Sympathy like.   We've been having similar problems, with poop but not pee... And can't quite tell if it's protest over my working hours, or new cleanliness fussiness over the litter box. We might

My 15-1/2 year old son just landed his very first job, working for an International House of Pancakes restaurant as a dishwasher and busboy. His first shift was yesterday and his second is tomorrow. 

Well Wikipedia got me this far:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strix_(mythology)

Even when the description was different, the similarity between stirges and mosquitoes was striking.  (I grew up in an area with lots of big mosquitoes.)  They probably changed the description due to people thinking of them as giant mosquitoes. 

Brain not working well.  Overdue to sleep...  'night.

• Like 5

If anyone here has the scoop on what happened in the ice mammals kickstarter thread to get it disappeared can you PM me?

Curious as when I last read it everything seemed civil.

• Like 2

It got disappeared? Huh, so it did. I didn't see anything I would personally consider worth mod-batting, and I was reading (and actively posting) right up until the end. The company rep posted a very lengthy post that I decided I didn't want to read just then, and then there were no more posts (I was subscribed) until it went away. Seemed like a civil, if slightly impassioned, discussion of their company and product. I suspect

Edited by Slendertroll
  • Like 1

Nah LK. Stirges look more like fiendish versions of mosquitos

Stirges have always been a mix of vertebrate and insect.  The oldest illustrations in D&D were basically bats with mosquito probsoscii and legs.  The third edition is probably the best illustration, with a nice blend of vertebrate and insect that just looks perfectly wrong and unnatural.

Also, I am currently forty dollars up on my gambling.  I've got a set amount to lose before I'm done, so we'll see how slowly I can make it bleed.

• Like 8

Bit bored, so here's a new doodle of a monster!

The mobile mushroom! A swamp-dwelling fungus that waits under shady trees for adventurers to make camp or stop to rest, when they'll uproot themselves and several will bind themselves around the victim, strangling them and ensuring themselves a good source of food for weeks to come!

MobileMushroom_zpsb796f3e7.jpg

That looks like one of the cuties from one of Catdancer's gorgeous little vignettes.

If anyone here has the scoop on what happened in the ice mammals kickstarter thread to get it disappeared can you PM me?

Curious as when I last read it everything seemed civil.

It got disappeared? Huh, so it did. I didn't see anything I would personally consider worth mod-batting, and I was reading (and actively posting) right up until the end. The company rep posted a very lengthy post that I decided I didn't want to read just then, and then there were no more posts (I was subscribed) until it went away. Seemed like a civil, if slightly impassioned, discussion of their company and product. I suspect

The Mods with bats are at Origins and modding on the phone does not lend itself to subtlety.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 8

Nah LK. Stirges look more like fiendish versions of mosquitos

Stirges have always been a mix of vertebrate and insect.  The oldest illustrations in D&D were basically bats with mosquito probsoscii and legs.  The third edition is probably the best illustration, with a nice blend of vertebrate and insect that just looks perfectly wrong and unnatural.

Perhaps that forms part of the adventure - a mage has been experimenting with making feathered stirges or such (and perhaps some other mutations of 'normal' fauna and the party gets involved to shut down the Dr Moreau shenanigans. Potentially it could even be that the mage hires the party to get rid of the creations that got loose from his lab (sweep it under the carpet) and then the party have to decide on exposing him/battle etc vs take payment and walk away from town in fear. And so forth.

I wish I had a gaming group. *looks at sleeping toddler* One day my son, one day.

• Like 9

Feeling down today. An item that was supposed to restock last night on Etsy didn't. Silly thing to be down about, I know.

<hugs>

Want a chocolate coated fly to make you feel better?

• Like 11

Posting your KS on the Reaper site is one thing.  Selling your KS on here is commerce.

Stirge from the 1st ed books:

stirge.jpg stirges.jpg

Edited by TaleSpinner
  • Like 8

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun

The frumious Bandersnatch!"

Sing this to "Greensleeves", seriously.

I know just the thing! *steeples his fingers with a grin on his face*

Did you open the doors to see all the people?

The "View New Content" button is my friend.

I hit "View New Content", go down the list, middle-click every thread I want to read to open it in its own tab, then close when I'm done.  It's irritating how few RSS readers support this.

The Mods with bats are at Origins and modding on the phone does not lend itself to subtlety.

We have indeed had this exact conversation.  Please keep the innuendo to reasonable levels.

I wish I had a gaming group. *looks at sleeping toddler* One day my son, one day.

My 4yo and I sympathize.

• Like 12