Random Challenge: thread two

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My cousin's cancer tests just came back in the clear! Second surgery to shrink the tumor in two weeks.

Sympathy like.   We've been having similar problems, with poop but not pee... And can't quite tell if it's protest over my working hours, or new cleanliness fussiness over the litter box. We might

My 15-1/2 year old son just landed his very first job, working for an International House of Pancakes restaurant as a dishwasher and busboy. His first shift was yesterday and his second is tomorrow. 

So... Work is slow. I'm caught up on this thread. And on my three rp by email scenes. So... Anyone reading any good books?

The Dinosaur Heresies by Robert T. Bakker.

It's thirty years old, but still brilliant in how it shook paleontology out of the dinosaurs are stupid-slow-sluggish-coldblooded-lizards which had been the belief since the 1930s. (Apparently before that they knew better. Then they forgot.)

Some parts are outdated. He was skeptical about the then-emerging evidence that a giant meteor strike caused a global eco-catastrophe that wiped out the dinosaurs. He thought that since there had been multiple mass extinctions what caused them had to be some sort of recurrent phenomenon, which he assumed could not be meteor strikes.

It is a distinctly uncomfortable thought, but I think people may not realize just how many mountain-sized rocks are still whizzing around in eccentric orbits. I see no reason why the planet getting hammered by giant rocks on a regular but very long time scale should not be the explanation for Earth's historic sudden mass extinctions.

But that's a minor point. The book is mostly a very fun, very careful laying out of the case for warmblooded, active, dynamic dinosaurs. It's full of illustrations. I was admiring them, since normally illustrations are too expensive to have too many in a book, but this one had one every two or three pages. Turned out he did them himself, and a very fine job he did too.

• Like 11

I washed all of my dishes.

This marks the first time every dish has been clean at the same time, including the spoons, since 1999. 

Three were unrecoverable, and only elder gods know whatever was originally put onto it as food. 

I'm slowly debachelorizing... for no specific reason. 

This, however, does raise the perilous question of reaction from my friends - who may believe I am not who I claim.  Wash the dishes?  Yes, they could believe that.  They have seen that.  But the spoons?  Never!  Therefore I am an alien pod unit clone.

Which is not true.  This unit is as Hu-Mon as they are.

Hail Glyorbaxh!

***TRANSMISSION ENDS***

Well, at least now we know why he wasn't posting much yesterday.

So... Work is slow. I'm caught up on this thread. And on my three rp by email scenes. So... Anyone reading any good books?

Just finished Skin Game by Jim Butcher.  It was excellent.  

Can't read anymore now though; all current free time is being diverted to sculpting for the foreseeable future. *

* Not sure what kind of smiley to put on that statement because it is both a little sad :unsure:  and awesome :bday:  at the same time.

• Like 12

Limits of Power, by Elizabeth Moon.

It's the fourth book in the Paladin's Legacy series, which is set after The Deed of Paksenarrion.

Recommended.

(Plus, as I mentioned upthread, I'm listening to John Julius Norwich's Absolute Monarchs: A History of the Papacy.)

• Like 4

So... Anyone reading any good books?

I'm currently at the end of Skin Game by Jim Butcher, loving it.

Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone!

*guzzles coffee unashamedly* 

• Like 7
  • Forum Mascot

I also reorganized my pantry, and I have like 100 cans of beefaroni. Which my tablet thinks is "beef agonists". It may be smarter than I thought.

I have no idea where all that came from.

Also, I found a can of peas with a label so old it doesn't have a nutrition label.

• Like 17

I also reorganized my pantry, and I have like 100 cans of beefaroni. Which my tablet thinks is "beef agonists". It may be smarter than I thought.

I have no idea where all that came from.

Also, I found a can of peas with a label so old it doesn't have a nutrition label.

Umm, someone should check the Goblin's temperature to see if he's well... I'm not going anywhere near him when he's in this state...  :upside:

*flops around sleepily* Stupid storm, keeping me up all night.  :down: Not quiet, gentle pattering rain...no...just loud hammering rain on our window because the wind kept blowing it sideways. 

::(:

• Like 7

The clam chowder I had for lunch was missing something. .. I think it was clams. :mellow:

Ship food is hit or miss.

You sailors. Always wanting extraordinary bennies.

I mean, geez. It's not like you're near anywhere that clams can be found, amirite?

^_^

I'm definitely not an alien pod clone. Definitraxz. Florbel mizmak klaatu!

Clearly not.

* Someone check him for a puppet master. *

• Like 9