Random Challenge: thread two

Chemically, all the organic bits have rotted away long ago. The silica shells remaining are technically inorganic. :upside:

Yeah, sure this post is from yesterday, but I need to get to the office, not catch up on posts! :P

One of the things that drives me crazy is this appropriation of a perfectly good word to mean something completely different. I mean, I've seen ads for organic salt. (And they meant NaCl, not something like lead acetate.)

Agreed, but then that is how language develops and changes. Organic used to mean carbon based molecules usually with an association with life. Now, it also refers to crops grown without artificial chemicals and pesticides (which ironically are usually organically based using the original sense of the word). Languages are extremely fluid and change constantly. Adapt or end up looking like the old guy screaming at the kids from your porch. ::P:

Well the porch is pretty comfy. (The "organic" thing used to bother the heck out of me as well)

Chemically, all the organic bits have rotted away long ago. The silica shells remaining are technically inorganic. :upside:

Yeah, sure this post is from yesterday, but I need to get to the office, not catch up on posts! :P

One of the things that drives me crazy is this appropriation of a perfectly good word to mean something completely different. I mean, I've seen ads for organic salt. (And they meant NaCl, not something like lead acetate.)

Agreed, but then that is how language develops and changes. Organic used to mean carbon based molecules usually with an association with life. Now, it also refers to crops grown without artificial chemicals and pesticides (which ironically are usually organically based using the original sense of the word). Languages are extremely fluid and change constantly. Adapt or end up looking like the old guy screaming at the kids from your porch. ::P:

And for the record, Arsenic is also perfectly natural and GMO-free...

I keep hearing ads on the radio for some diet pill that claims to let you lose pounds in days and it's "all natural so it's safe and healthy" (actual quote) I keep thinking Arsenic is all natural, but it's neither safe nor healthy, but then again neither is losing "pounds in days" :unsure:

• Like 8
  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My cousin's cancer tests just came back in the clear! Second surgery to shrink the tumor in two weeks.

Sympathy like.   We've been having similar problems, with poop but not pee... And can't quite tell if it's protest over my working hours, or new cleanliness fussiness over the litter box. We might

My 15-1/2 year old son just landed his very first job, working for an International House of Pancakes restaurant as a dishwasher and busboy. His first shift was yesterday and his second is tomorrow. 

Agreed, but then that is how language develops and changes.  Organic used to mean carbon based molecules usually with an association with life. Now, it also refers to crops grown without artificial chemicals and pesticides (which ironically are usually organically based using the original sense of the word). Languages are extremely fluid and change constantly.  Adapt or end up looking like the old guy screaming at the kids from your porch.  ::P:

And for the record, Arsenic is also perfectly natural and GMO-free...

I understand about language change. It's a part of my job to know those things.

But the good news is that all GMOs are organic.

And thus we come full circle.

^_^

I know, because you and I do the same thing for a living, hence the reason I was poking at you.  ::P:

Speaking of which, I have a manual to write...

Edited by TaleSpinner
  • Like 6

Agreed, but then that is how language develops and changes.  Organic used to mean carbon based molecules usually with an association with life. Now, it also refers to crops grown without artificial chemicals and pesticides (which ironically are usually organically based using the original sense of the word). Languages are extremely fluid and change constantly.  Adapt or end up looking like the old guy screaming at the kids from your porch.  ::P:

Well the porch is pretty comfy. (The "organic" thing used to bother the heck out of me as well)

Still does me - I hate it when advertisers corrupt my language in order to create a percieved need for something I didn't know I needed and still don't.  

...Really I'm just replying here to add another layer of nested quotes.

• Like 10

Still does me - I hate it when advertisers corrupt my language in order to create a percieved need for something I didn't know I needed and still don't.  

Weren't you the one who hated nested quotes? ladystorm's pet peeve was imbedded youtube videos and yours was nested quotes?
  • Like 8

I like nested quotes.

• Like 5

Another one that does active harm to the language is "calorie". It has a perfectly well understood scientific meaning, but the units are an inconvenient size for reporting the energy content of food, so dieticians decided to redefine calorie to mean kcal. The result is that you have to be very careful when discussing energy to note which term you're using. And that's when you're talking to people who are allegedly scientists.

I'm more annoyed but less worried about "organic", since it's just a religious thing.

• Like 6

I like nested quotes.
But I coulda swore Froggy hated nested quotes...
  • Like 4

I like nested quotes.

Me too

• Like 6

I like nested quotes.

Me too
There are a lot of nests in these quotes... :unsure:
  • Like 6

I like nested quotes.
Me too

Like the mouse nest I found in my food bin yesterday...many layers.

• Like 7

Chemically, all the organic bits have rotted away long ago. The silica shells remaining are technically inorganic. :upside:Yeah, sure this post is from yesterday, but I need to get to the office, not catch up on posts! :P

I like nested quotes.
Me too

Like an ogre!
  • Like 8

Chemically, all the organic bits have rotted away long ago. The silica shells remaining are technically inorganic. :upside:Yeah, sure this post is from yesterday, but I need to get to the office, not catch up on posts! :P

I like nested quotes.
Me too
Like an ogre!

Parfait!

• Like 5

I like nested quotes.

Me too

Like an ogre!

Parfait!

...I think ogre would be more of a halohalo... :unsure:

Edit: Hey, guys! I found the nested quote limit! :lol:

• Like 12