Random Challenge: thread two

well, to keep your bowels moving well. I strongly recommend a tasty treat such as this.

Mom's Upside Down Cake

Rhubarb (or other fruits) Upside-down Cake.
Topping
3/4 c butter
1 1/2 c brown sugar.
5-6 stalks rhubarb. chopped 
In 9x13 lightly greased pan. Sprinkle brown sugar over bottom. melt butter and pour over sugar, then cover bottom of pan with rhubarb

Batter
1/2 c butter
1 1/2 c sugar (less for sweeter fruits)
2 eggs
2tsp vanilla or almond extract
3 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
cream butter with sugar add eggs (unbeaten) and extract. Sift flour and baking powder together, add to butter, alternating flour mix with milk and mix. If too stiff add more milk. Pour batter on top of fruit Bake at 350 for 45 min or until toothpick comes out clean (rhubarb or other moist fruits may take a little longer) 

Dad and I like ours with a bit of milk poured over top, or served with ice cream. Mom eats hers as is. 
  • Like 9
  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My cousin's cancer tests just came back in the clear! Second surgery to shrink the tumor in two weeks.

Sympathy like.   We've been having similar problems, with poop but not pee... And can't quite tell if it's protest over my working hours, or new cleanliness fussiness over the litter box. We might

My 15-1/2 year old son just landed his very first job, working for an International House of Pancakes restaurant as a dishwasher and busboy. His first shift was yesterday and his second is tomorrow. 

The poor Carmobile is really nearing the end of it's useful lifetime, so we're just trying to hold it together until we're secure enough financially to get a new car.

Shouldn't that be the Bootmobile?

I don't think I want to click on that...

But I also wouldn't want to miss the cause of Last Knights banning...

What to do. What to do.

Pretty sure discussing my digestives isn't cause for banning. :upside:

Mmmm... digestives... 512oghNow3L._SY300_.jpg

It's not so much the discussion(although yech), its more the potential for any pics that might be behind those spoilers. (Which I've yet to click on )

• Like 7

Is there a better time of year to buy a car?

We have one vehicle now and it is on it's last legs. We could stall a few months (or maybe more), and are really only interested in something that has four doors and is reliable. Cheaper the better.

Craigslist or similar is not out of the question, but will likely limit options drastically due to the lack of funds we have. Financing is pretty much required due to current funds.

• Like 3

I've found that usually you can get good deals around the time the new models start arriving at the dealerships as they try to clear out the old stock to make room.

• Like 7

10435483_278483685667846_140653492555301

In my family, today is a super LUCKY day!  (And I'ma buy me a Lotto tickit, just 'cause.)

Seanan Maguire, why do you hurt so good? Catching up on some short stories in her Toby Daye series, and trying not to shed manly tears on the quarterdeck.

Lurve me some Toby Daye

You know, I listened to the audio book of the first Toby Day novel and just wasn't terribly impressed. The narrator was awesome but the story just left me feeling "meh" at the end, so I've never picked up any others.

Now that I think on it, whether read on paper or listened to, this seems to be a common trend for me concerning "urban paranormal" stories. I can think of several series that I've started, read one or maybe two novels, and just never went back to. And yet, I loved the Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV series and have picked up a number of the comics in graphic novel format, and am also a huge fan of the Fables comics (also purchased as graphic novels). Odd.

Edited by MatrissaTheEnchantress
  • Like 7

I take that back about the rain; I've felt a few sprinkles here and there, and there's some lovely bluish clouds moving in.  :bday:

Mixed news from the mechanic. Basically, it will not fall apart or stop being able to steer in the next 6 months, which is about our timeline for acquiring a new vehicle. However, the brakes, which I thought only needed new brake pads, actually need new rotors too. Since braking is kinda sorta important, there goes $260.  :unsure: But at least it's nowhere near what I was afraid it was gonna be. The poor Carmobile is really nearing the end of it's useful lifetime, so we're just trying to hold it together until we're secure enough financially to get a new car.

Neither of us have been car shopping before. We still haven't decided which of us will play the "excited over all the neat things each car can do" role and which will play the "frugal holder of the wallet."  ::D: I'm probably gonna end up being the former, lol, since I'm generally a lot more squeeful than Mr. Boot.  ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

If you really want to mix it up and throw the dealer off guard, then you should be the FHotW, but more importantly learn a little about how cars work before going in. There are few industries more sexist than the car dealer industry, and you can use this against them. Whwn my wife asked the dealer if she could look under the hood, the man looked like a deer in headlights. ^_^  (She actually knows next to nothing about cars, but just wanted to make sure the battery was in a standard spot this time, since her last car had the battery behind one of the wheels. :blink: )

• Like 13

I am watching The Emperor's New Groove with my daughter. I forgot how awesome this movie is.

A funny thought: the emperor might be similar to the personality of a Disney, kid-friendly Deadpool. Maybe not a perfect fit but still a funny thought.

• Like 10