Random Challenge: thread two

Talae sorry to hear about your kids being sick.  :down:  Hopefully your little ones will allow you to give them company and comfort while you do a bit more than watch My Little Pony (I'm sure for the umpthith time.)

---

I finally got to do something not work related (Besides eating dinner w/ my husband) for the first time in weeks!

So I tried to sculpt a person. Yeah I know.. sculpting... it's like riding a bike... or was it more like bungee jumping without a cord? But which ever it is... It's been over 15 years since I've tried to sculpt a human figure... Yes yes, I've gotten a much, much, much better understanding of anatomy, but still it might be a little... rushed trying to jump right into a human figure again, especially with an unfamiliar medium.

Here is the hunk of mess I came up with:

IMG_1547.jpg

Which looks slightly more like a human than like poop.  :blush:

So getting frustrated w/ the material I decided to redo the wire armature so my fat little fingers weren't warping bits that I had already worked on. 

But that left me with a lot of extra green stuff that I didn't want to go to waste.... So not looking to rush things, and make something simple... I made a pillow:

IMG_1546.jpg

At least it's a relaxing subject!!

Working with the greenstuff isn't like what I am used to... I don't seem to be able to cut or push the same sort of planes that I am used to with clay and other material. 

I guess that only leaves one course of action... I must get me to the Tutorials!!!  :lol:

But it does leave me with the question.... Why Green stuff? Why not clay? is it because after the first cast, clay sculptures are destroyed?

Looks to me like you are trying to do too much at once.  GS lends itself to small amounts built-up over time and not everything all at once.  Layers is kind of the key.  I'm guessing that your style might be better suited to sculpting in polymer clay instead.  Several pro sculptors use FIMO Classic.  The only problem is that it doesn't stick to armatures well.  To get it to stick, first coat the armature in a thin layer of GS, then while the GS is still sticky, cover it completely with the FIMO.  Let the GS harden naturally and then you can add more FIMO as needed to the uncured FIMO that is now stuck to your mini. 

Polymer clays do not handle the vulcanization process in the same way as GS does; they are brittle and often break, but if the mold-maker knows how to handle FIMO, it shouldn't be an issue.  Reaper casts FIMO sculpts, but not everyone does.

• Like 9
  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A conversation with my sick daughter earlier:

"Daddy, can I have an apple?"

"First I would like you to eat some of your rice. I would like you to keep down something down with some substance."

"But I like apples. I love apples. They are so juicy and yummy."

• Like 15

So, my weekend took a turn for the worse today and went down the drain.  For Father's day, my wife was going to give me all of tomorrow to tinker in my studio; it was going to be Armature-paloosa day!  Then we noticed that the floor boards around the toilet in the half-bath were swelled and buckling with moisture.  So I had to take apart the toilet to see what is going on. Underneath, I found rotten wood; the wax seal had failed, obviously a long time ago. It just finally got bad enough to notice from the front of the toilet. :down:

<rant> Why on God's green earth would one elect to put wood floors in a bathroom.  Very stupid from a design perspective.  :grr: </rant>

So, the wood floor needs replacing.  Then I realized it went under the vanity, so I removed that.  Then the mirror came off.  Then we got to discussing it and the next thing i know, I am now ripping out the wood floor, tiling it with green granite, refinishing the vanity, fixing and painting the walls, and installing new light fixtures and mirror.  Some days, I really hate being a homeowner.

So tomorrow, instead of being at peace in my studio, I'm going to be tearing out the wood floor in the bathroom (having to cut it off from the hallway first), fixing the subfloor rot, and installing tile backer board to the floor, so that it will be ready for tile by Wednesday. :unsure:

• Like 14

A conversation with my sick daughter earlier:

"Daddy, can I have an apple?"

"First I would like you to eat some of your rice. I would like you to keep down something down with some substance."

"But I like apples. I love apples. They are so juicy and yummy."

Try applesauce.  The approved post-flu diet consists of Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Tea & Toast.  (As a doctor once told my mother, BRATT for the brat.  He was not known for tact, apparently.) 

Also, the crazy cleaning routine can totally work at preventing the rest of the family from getting sick.  Usually I focus on the bathrooms.  It might seem like a lot of work but it's less work than cleaning bedding multiple times per day, since little kids tend to make a mess of everything.  May the Force be with you.

@TaleSpinner, you have my sympathy.  We had a nasty plumbing/septic issue several years ago that involved ripping up everything on the bottom six inches of one of the bedrooms.  It was not fun.  Stupid, incompetent DIY plumbing job.  :grr:

• Like 9

@TaleSpinner, you have my sympathy.  We had a nasty plumbing/septic issue several years ago that involved ripping up everything on the bottom six inches of one of the bedrooms.  It was not fun.  Stupid, incompetent DIY plumbing job.  :grr:

In my house every problem typically tracks back to corners that were cut by the original subcontractors (though in this case I suspect that age of the house at 25 years was the culprit and it just started leaking). I'll probably do some preventative maintenance and reseal the upstairs toilet soon too, but I am a little scared to open that Pandora's box.

Edited by TaleSpinner
  • Like 8

I have always used the BRAT diet when fighting stomach issues. I have never seen the addition of tea to the list. Is is a certain kind?

As for flooding, you have my sympathies.

• Like 6

I have always used the BRAT diet when fighting stomach issues. I have never seen the addition of tea to the list. Is is a certain kind?

As for flooding, you have my sympathies.

BRAT diet FTW, but my little one refuses tea. Won't even try it. ::(:

When her throat hurts, I'll make her a "tea" of honey dissolved in hot water - she's not really a fan, but it helps the soreness.

• Like 10

=( veggie dragon make Andy bit happier about sad house issues?

Doodle_zpse727e461.jpg

You wanna know what I think?

I think we need Siri to do some concept art for Reaper is what I think.

(I want that dragon)

::D:

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 11

Also, with the cleaning, my wife has accomplished our bedroom, the kids' bedroom and one bathroom. She is working on the others. I took the toys and put them in the tub and soaked them in vinegar water and also cleaned the kitchen and office. That just leaves a few areas of the house for tomorrow.

• Like 8

Oh Noes TaleSpinner!!! I know how crap crops up and steals away the studio time, and how frustrating it is.  :angry:

Hope the improved rehab project doesn't go over time, or over budget.

And thanks for the advice on the sculpting! I haven't given up on Green Stuff, I still have all the of the Fire for Effect tutorials coming (Soontm) and I am willing to give it a try. But it's good to hear that some professionals do use the polymer clay... because I was eyeing a mixture of Sculptey Firm and FIMO classic and giving that a whirl... along with trying out GC w/ 25% FIMO classic. It's amazing what one learns reading sub forums other than the random banter. 

I may even post some WIP with some of my experiences with the differences in that other subforum. Tomorrow I should be done with the volunteer project that ate up more of my time this evening, and get a little more studio time in... as long as everything goes well, and no disasters happen.   :lol:

---

Siri - I love the little dragon... I love the dimensionality you have captured in him, with him sitting on his little leg and his little pudgy belly sticking out. It almost looks like you modeled him after a fat cat sitting in the sun.

Edited by Thes Hunter
  • Like 10

=( veggie dragon make Andy bit happier about sad house issues?

Veggie dragon makes Tim a bit happier over all.

Sorry to hear the house troubles Peeps. I've been there before a couple of times. Not with a toilet, but once with a Dishwasher and once with the water supply for the washing machine. Would give you a hand if I was in the neighbourhood. Or you know, the same country

• Like 11