Random Challenge: thread two

I look forward to seeing your version of the Tardis Diorama. Willen's thread over there with his Tardis is frickin cool.

I know. I commented on it and plan to get the measurements from him after the move.

I just also want to build this swamp diorama. That will so be a WIP as I will need tons of advice for it. For one I already know I want to be able to remove the pieces unless we get doubles of the minis, but I have such a vision of how to set it up due t the barbarian we got in bones!

• Like 4
  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My cousin's cancer tests just came back in the clear! Second surgery to shrink the tumor in two weeks.

Sympathy like.   We've been having similar problems, with poop but not pee... And can't quite tell if it's protest over my working hours, or new cleanliness fussiness over the litter box. We might

My 15-1/2 year old son just landed his very first job, working for an International House of Pancakes restaurant as a dishwasher and busboy. His first shift was yesterday and his second is tomorrow. 

I may be able to help a little right now: I'd recommend picking up some Citadel Argax Earthshade. It used to be called Devlan Mud...for a reason. It's the best wash for making muddy earth tones. It's also really good for giving (brown) leather an oily, weathered look.

• Like 5

In truth, it's a pretty universal wash. It's very similar to the Army Painter Strong Tone Ink, I'm told.

I'd hesitate to use in on anything other than browns and undead (ones that you want to look 'dirty'), personally, but YMMV.

EDIT: The 77040 I just posted used Argax Earthshade on his robes and his leather bits. It gives really deep, brown-black shadows.

Edited by dsmiles
  • Like 5
  • Forum Mascot

You seriously think that would work? Why not just dumpster dive for shoes people toss out?

Listen, I don't tell you how to hawke flames and you don't tell me how to stank shoes.  There's an art to this that you hoomans and drayguns just wouldn't understand.  It's not just about the shoes.  Shoes on their own are meaningless.  What's important is provenance.  You need to know where they come from. 

Why do you think I want to win Bryan's kickstarter sneakers so bad?  In ten years, they'll be my retirement in Moonrise Swamp Retreat and I'll be on an episode of Lifestyles of the Putrid and Gross

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 15

In truth, it's a pretty universal wash. It's very similar to the Army Painter Strong Tone Ink, I'm told.

I'd hesitate to use in on anything other than browns and undead (ones that you want to look 'dirty'), personally, but YMMV.

I likely would only use it on browns or things I want to look dirty. I don't like how things look when washed wight he opposite color. It may just be me though.

You seriously think that would work? Why not just dumpster dive for shoes people toss out?

Listen, I don't tell you how to hawke flames and you don't tell me how to stank shoes.  There's an art to this that you hoomans and drayguns just wouldn't understand.  It's not just about the shoes.  Shoes on their own are meaningless.  What's important is provenance.  You need to know where they come from. 

Why do you think I want to win Bryan's kickstarter sneakers so bad?  In ten years, they'll be my retirement in Moonrise Swamp Retreat and I'll be on an episode of Lifestyles of the Putrid and Gross

True. I can give you credit for wanting to know where the shoes come from. I'll tell you what. As a sign of apology perhaps I can scrounge up some old shoes of mine. Maybe the ones the cats threw up in and the youngest used as a chew toy. I use my shoes to the point of falling apart though, but it leads to some serious stench.

• Like 9

Glad it makes you happier. I do promise not to question your search for stanky shoes for which you know the origin of.

Wonder what I should do next though. Though I could begin prepping more for the dioramas I want to make. I just realized I should add a third diorama/base to the mix. We got a mini that reminded me instantly of The Shadow. So I told my mom I would paint it up to look like him. I just realized he needs either a diorama or a really really nice base to play off of the who mystique of The Shadow

• Like 3

So, yesterday morning when I woke up, I walked downstairs in my two-story raised ranch to get something I'd left down there... Only to find out that my old man had left the garage door open when he'd left... And that there were now three small deer hanging out in my basement... :blink:

(Despite living in a blue-collar area which is somewhere in the middle of suburban and rural, we have a herd of deer that lives in the woods behind our neighborhood, and they like to run through everyones' yards early in the morning... They're so acclimated to living side-by-side with us that, although they're not particularly afraid of us, they're also very rarely ever aggressive.)

Fortunately, one of them was still in the garage and another was between me and the door to the garage, so those two bolted immediately. The third one, however, was all the way across the rec room, and I was between it and the way out. Which required me to circle around the edge of the room very slowly without spooking it until I was on the other side of it, and then I yelled and waved my arms and it took off out through the garage like the others.

I got off easier than than the last time some of that herd got in my basement - I actually had to physically manhandle one of them out the door and kick it in the butt to get it to leave... ::(:

Edit: Forgot to mention that the buggers came back again this morning, but fortunately haven't figured out how to punch in the code for the garage door yet...

So, wandering monster, hmmm?

Since they came back, I'm afraid it's no experience for you.

And the encounter started so well, too.

Oh, well. At least it wasn't housecats. Dangerous creatures, them.

• Like 12

Glad it makes you happier. I do promise not to question your search for stanky shoes for which you know the origin of.

Wonder what I should do next though. Though I could begin prepping more for the dioramas I want to make. I just realized I should add a third diorama/base to the mix. We got a mini that reminded me instantly of The Shadow. So I told my mom I would paint it up to look like him. I just realized he needs either a diorama or a really really nice base to play off of the who mystique of The Shadow

Might I recommend Secret Weapon and/or Dragonforge for scenic bases/basing supplies?

• Like 5

Oh i will likely use Secret Weapon as I noticed my mom can get a discount having been in the Navy. I just have to figure out how to do the base of The Shadow. I have to do it right as he is one of only three heroes my mother has ever followed. So I don't want to disappoint her and I am thinking that one will be a Christmas present for her as well.

• Like 5