Random Challenge: thread two

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My cousin's cancer tests just came back in the clear! Second surgery to shrink the tumor in two weeks.

Sympathy like.   We've been having similar problems, with poop but not pee... And can't quite tell if it's protest over my working hours, or new cleanliness fussiness over the litter box. We might

My 15-1/2 year old son just landed his very first job, working for an International House of Pancakes restaurant as a dishwasher and busboy. His first shift was yesterday and his second is tomorrow. 

I'm so glad my cat is afraid of jumping on me when I'm asleep. At least, most of the time she's afraid of me. If only the really fat one was too <_<

My last cat learned very quickly not to jump up on me/lie down on me while I was sleeping.

*Cat jumps on Dilvish.*

*Thump*

*Cat:  How did I end up on the floor?*

*Cat jumps on Dilvish.*

*Thump*

*Cat jumps on Dilvish.*

*Thump*

*Cat jumps on Awesome Wife, goes to sleep*

• Like 17

The Kalimazoo cat that lives with The Rents used to like sleeping in the middle of my back before she got too old and arthritic to climb up on the bed. Nothing like waking up with a giant hairy cat pinning you down. 

• Like 3

I don't know if it's the damp or what, but my knees feel like somebody's been working them all night like I owe money.

One of the animals decided (on the bed) that we hadn't let them out in time, so while that dries out and the room stops smelling like enzymatic cleaner I got to sleep on the couch. I was the highway between the floor and the window all night - it's one thing when a cat does it; quite another when it's a 30-pound puppy.

Which is all to say: Ooch. I hear ya.

Sympathy like.

We've been having similar problems, with poop but not pee... And can't quite tell if it's protest over my working hours, or new cleanliness fussiness over the litter box. We might add a second.

---

As for stealing at work....

I accidentally left my iPhone in the bathroom about 2 years ago. Guy who worked there picked it up, walked past 2 security stations (the main office is right by the bathroom) to put my phone in his locker then take it home with him after work.

With find my phone app I was able to see exactly where he went. I made sure to message him cryptic enough messages to let him know I knew where he was at. Also let him know that turning the phone in would be no questions asked.

Him living in the country allowed me to see exactly where the phone was, and google street view got me an address, and reverse directory got me names of people who lived there, and search of the employee directory got me the name of the person.

The phone came back to work the next morning, mid morning when I inquired if anyone had turned my phone in, the head of security questioned me about my confidence on believing it would turn up. I wasn't able to 'protect the guy' and finially under questioning told the head of security how I came by a name and address. Showed the serial photographs of the phone sitting at this guys house and etc.

Security took this very seriously since the employee was in maintenance and as such had access to some very highly valuable commodities.

When it was 15 minutes to quitting time, HR called the employee into the office and asked "anything you wanna tell us?" And he spilled the beans about this phone he found, and that he was going to give it back, but he took it home because he didn't want someone else to take it from the locker, and etc.

All I know is I gave more evidence, calls made, apps opened etc, and heard nothing else until about a month later hearing in the hallway about the guy getting fired over finding a phone and that speakers having trouble believing it cause the guy had an outspoken particular religious affiliation, but conceded that HR was usually fair and if this is what they decided after an investigation that maybe it could be true... But they still couldn't believe it.

Moral of the story... Find a smart phone in the bathroom turn it into security...

Other moral... Don't steal my phone... The skills I hone for my profession align very well with that of a detective... Also... I didn't read all those hardy boys for nothing.... Don't give me a reason to go Sherlock. You wouldn't like me when I Sherlock.

• Like 22

I just witnessed a coworker steal his lunch from the cafeteria then get caught.   ::(:  

I know a guy who got kicked out of the army for stealing a brownie from the DFAC.

Obviously, there was a lot of other stuff that went on before that point, but that was the last straw.  Stealing a brownie.

That sounds like a solution just looking for a colorable cause.

Pretty much.  He'd gotten through basic training and was in his tech school (or whatever it is Army types call it), and he kept missing formations, sleeping in, and not making his PT tests.  Official reason for getting kicked out was "failure to adapt."

Military's not for everyone.

• Like 5

Pretty much.  He'd gotten through basic training and was in his tech school (or whatever it is Army types call it), and he kept missing formations, sleeping in, and not making his PT tests.  Official reason for getting kicked out was "failure to adapt."

Military's not for everyone.

Yeah, I know the type. When I was in HS, I worked summer hire for 60th Ord. Grp.*. There was a guy in the HQ Company that was just waiting for separation after his fourth Article 15. I think the technical term is "screwup".  ^_^

FWIW, I think everyone (including the person being separated) is much better off when these people are fired.

* Below the minimum wage (I was being paid $2.15/hr., IIRC, when the minimum was $3.35), but when you're a dependent in W. Germany, there aren't (weren't?) a lot of choices. And I'm not sure whether the government actually got even that amount of worthwhile work out of the group on average.

I'm slowly catching up. I did acquire some rpg books today and will post them up in the acquisition thread, probably link to that thread in here tomorrow as well. But how does one get sticky stuff off the cover of the book? I think it's soda.

If it is simply soda, rubbing gently with a very slightly damp cloth should do it. Have a dry cloth at the ready to remove all moisture.

If it is something nastier, like that greasy oily horrible gunk from the back of price tags, get a bottle of Goo Gone from a hardware store and follow the instructions.

• Like 3

My problem with Attack on Titan is that I don't really want to support the creator.  He believes that Korea was "improved" by Japanese occupation, and that China was "helped" by Japan during WWII, among other rather repugnant things.  Not someone I want to be giving money to.

O.o

Ah. Another author for the "Nope nope nope nope nope" file.

Somewhere I have a book with Japanese postcards from that era, showing cute proto-manga style kids, happy chirpy Chinese and Korean kids delighted with their Japanese kid overlords, in one big happy Japanese-controlled East Asian family.

Yeah, nope.

• Like 4