Sign in to follow this  
MGMPainting

GW Empire Battle Wizard

I'm really torn on this one. The freehand and yellowy orange is SO good, but then the rest of it looks flat and unshaded. Great for the table, but those two standout elements really shine.

• Like 3

You've done a FINE job with both the painting & the base. The freehand brings the piece to another level. GREAT WORK!

The book and yellow shading on the front of the mini look fantastic. The back and staff are flat by comparison, but definitely a high tabletop standard. Well done.

I'm really torn on this one. The freehand and yellowy orange is SO good, but then the rest of it looks flat and unshaded. Great for the table, but those two standout elements really shine.

I'm going to disagree.  This model looks like it's alive and will jump off the table.  Fantastic painting. 

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate both the compliments and criticisms.

I used this model as an opportunity to grow my airbrushing ability and practice a little freehand. The robes were entirely airbrushed when before this model I would have done the shading by hand (and since rough blends bother the heck out of me, it would have probably been quite time consumimg to get it this smooth). I actually primed and did all the colors from shadows to lights on two battle wizards in about 30 minutes with the airbrush, which is a huge improvement for me. The other wizard is purple/blue and I'll try to post him soon. My overall goal was to decrease the amount of time required for gaming models.

The freehand was done on a whim, when a blank book bothered me and just the red lining wasn't enough to fix it.

Edited by MGMPainting
  • Like 1

Sorry I was unclear, I meant 30 minutes airbrushing, which was pretty much just priming and cloaks and robes. The details took time beyond that. The book itself was about 20 minutes. Admittedly, I am not super thrilled with the staff. That is actually a purple gem in the middle, but the pictures don't show that too well, unfortunately.