Sign in to follow this  

So here are four Bones minis my D&D group picked out for PCs. I have to say I agree that the soft details make Bones less than ideal for PCs and important NPCs. Good for mooks and big monsters, though.

Anyways, here they are. I need to get some Testors Dullcoat; my current matte spray is too shiney on Bones.

Too bad this figure was discontinued; maybe we'll see it in metal.

77093.jpg

The details were quite soft on this figure, but it came out OK.

77090.jpg

I started out painting the cloth on this dwarf in blue, but then saw that was what every version in the gallery had. So purple.

77074.jpg

This one looks more indigo in person. I think my camera must have some setting to shift away from violet. Need to fix the staff, too.

77068.jpg

• Like 17

What does table-top paint job mean?

There's no real definition for it, but it's generally agreed to mean "the model looks good on the table-top (during playing)." This generally means everything has been painted, there's at least an attempt at shading/highlights even if it's "only" a wash and a drybrush.
  • Like 1

Pretty much, "tabletop" is a wide range but is mostly an indicator the model is painted for gaming use not display.

GW basically established a baseline as "3 colours"; so the model has 3 colours on it and is completely painted but no shading or highlighting are evident. The next step up is pretty much "basic shading and highlighting" and adds a wash and drybrushing to the paint job, this is comparable to (& usually better than) the paint job on Rare models from pre-painted ranges like the DnD and Pathfinder ranges. Above that (& largely subjective) is a whole slew of end results that are considered "good tabletop" or better, you may well need the painter to define it as tabletop at the higher end to recognise it as such.

Personally I break things into "Speedpaint" which is at the better end of basic shade & highlight, "good tabletop" which means I spent time using a range of techniques and a few hours at least painting and "Competition" where I'm painting carefully and can expect to spend 4-8 hours on the model to use in some competition. But I never paint purely for display, so technically its all "tabletop". :)

• Like 3

Almost everything I paint would be considered table-top quality. I usually paint for use in games, and the models will either be handled a lot or are part of a large army for Warhammer/WH40K or Lord of the Rings battles. These particular miniatures will be used for PCs in a D&D game and will be handled quite a bit.

Do I ever paint to a higher quality? Sure, just not often. I have a large backlog of miniatures that I bought because I liked the look or they fill a gap in an army, so I try to crank them out. 20 plus a month is probably about right. I'm currently working on 30 or so Talisman figures to use in games I'm running at Origins. I've had the models since the 80's, so you can get a sense of my stock pile of miniatures. :wacko:

• Like 2