I'm currently working on some minis for Infinity.  They're motorcycles (with riders) that come with fairly standard 40mm thin plastic bases.

http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Image-A.jpg

I'm pretty certain that they're not going to remain put on the bases as is, so I'm intending to pin them through the back tire and then attach that rod to the base.

The base though is just a very thin piece of plastic.  Something like this in cross-section:

/                                    \

Does anyone have experience or recommendations with what you should fill in the underside of the base with to give the pin something to grab onto?  Greenstuff maybe?

You could use a jeweler's head pin. Drill a small hole (#62 or 64 drill bit would work) through the base, push the pin through from the bottom, & glue the head to the bottom of the base. If the base is solid you could countersink the pin head.

Yeah, fill it with putty and drill on it. 

From experience, try to pull the putty off after it cures and before doing the pinning. The underside is quite smooth and the putty has adhesion problems sometime. But after cured, you can superglue it back in place and then it would be fine.

BTW, love those bikes! You know new rules are putting them onto new, bigger bases right?

If the base is styrene, glue a block scrap styrene under each pinning hole with plastic weld cement, clamp it with a clothespin, and let dry. It will become an integral part of the base.

I like the jeweler's head pin idea -- I hadn't thought of that before, though I have once or twice used micro screws I found and saved.(Hint: take apart old electronics you're going to throw out -- they're a treasure trove of tiny screws and junk heap parts.) You can also create a makeshift washer to prevent the pin from pulling through the plastic base, by drilling a hole the same diameter as the pin in a thin piece of brass or aluminum and running the pin through it and the base into the model.

• Like 2

I like the jewellers pin idea, too. Usually, though, I just use the same pinning wire I usually do (guitar string), and put a 90-degree bend in it for the same effect. In either case, the pin has to go through the base first, rather than into the mini first which should be obvious, but I've tried to put a bend in a pin that's already in place...it isn't easy.

• Like 1

Poke through the base then bend the wire(pin) and glue AND GS it.

Fixed. Also, if they're a bit wobbly, adding flash tabs and scrap metal to the base will add a touch of stability.

I was very close to filling out the bottom of the base with GS, but then I found some 40mm secret weapon bases in my tub-o-stuff that I think will work and also be more honest about the time I have to make awesome bases.  I'll keep these tips in mind.

Regarding the base size changes, last I heard that was to better accommodate the mini, but the rules weren't requiring basing changes.  I'm really looking forwards to 3rd edition rules too.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

The base though is just a very thin piece of plastic.  Something like this in cross-section:

/                                    \

Does anyone have experience or recommendations with what you should fill in the underside of the base with to give the pin something to grab onto?  Greenstuff maybe?

Bend a paperclip / wire into a WWW shape then twist the ends to be pin-able into the bike at 2 locations if possible. Glue the wire to the base. cover it up with the basing style of your choice. Glue the pins into the bike.

post-12161-0-04065000-1404117143.png

You could also have the wire be on the underside of the base with only the pins poking through for a flatter base surface, but that will make rebasing harder down the road.

post-12161-0-78200700-1404118049.png

Edited by scorpio616
  • Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kuroneko
      I'm not sure that this is right place to post this, but I need to pick the brains of people with more terrain experience than myself. To be honest, that's pretty much everyone on the forum, but there you go! 

I've been experimenting with different water effects on bases because I'm planning a somewhat finicky deep pond effect on a particularly awesome mini coming in the Bones 5 Kickstarter. It's been an interesting journey/struggle/experience but this one particular one has flummoxed me because it manifested a full three weeks after the material had set. Here's a couple of pics. It was crystal clear before.

You can see the cloudiness, it appeared overnight on the base. It seems to follow the line of the second layer of the material. Has anyone else had a reaction like this? It was Secret Weapon Water Effects. 
    • By MoonglowMinis
      So i've got that trio of spiders from nolzur's.

They do not come with sculpted bases - unlike most of the nolzur's line.  This isn't a huge issue, except that these suckers have a bunch of tiny spindly legs.  I am worried about getting a good hold.

So I have a few questions:

1: how to fasten these guys to a base?  Just glue the legs and hope, or pin them through the body like a flightstand?
      2: how to sculpt/or assemble, suitable bases to compliment their spindly nature and ensure a better hold.
      3: how to attach the spider in a way that I can paint underneath it OR should I find a way to glue it down after both parts are painted?

So the webbed victim shown in the photo above I have decided to leave out as a piece of scatter.  There is a stone base (not pictured) that I have already glued to a reaper base for one of the spiders.  Each of the spiders has a slightly different pose with their legs - which is made worse by them being bent out of shape.  I'm hoping to use this as an advantage though, and pose each spider differently.  One is rearing back with front legs up (this one I plan to glue to the supplied rocky base with the abdomen glued to the ground for extra support.

Another spider has one side of legs kind of bent under a bit.  I'm thinking this would look good mounted sideways, crawling up the side of a fallen log (not sure if I should try to sculpt this, or find a twig to glue to the base).

The last spider is pretty neutral, but I was thinking of posing it climbing down something just for variety.

Any advice about sculpting the bases vs gluing organic material or mounting something with narrow points of contact would be tremendously helpful.  My indecision has lead to two weeks of no painting.
    • By [email protected]
      Started painting during the pandemic but was really intimidated by basing. Finally picked up some supplies and based my first couple models. Really improved the overall quality and aesthetic. 

• By MoonglowMinis
      Not super sure where to post this but this made the most sense to me. I found some fantastic miniature pumpkins at my local Joann Fabrics.

Hopefully you can find them elsewhere if you don't have a Joann's.
      They come in $10 bags that are pretty big. I don't see myself ever needing to buy more. 

They say "fall drieds" which makes me think they're some kind of organic. But they have the consistency of some kind of acorn or pinecone. So pretty solid. I don't think they'd deteriorate but if you're worried I'm sure a sealant of some kind would do the trick. 

They come in a mix of sizes but they all look pretty good at 28mm scale. The cutting mat has half-inch squares.
      Most of the pumpkins are of the artistically exaggerated size compared to a mini, and the smaller ones tend to be darker and a bit more mishapen. The coloration in them is pretty decent. I think they could use a layer of highlights but if you're in a hurry or making a huge pumpkin patch, then they look just fine. 

Anyways, I hope this is useful for someone!
    • By SparrowMarie
      I've gotten to the basing point for Ma'al. I decided I wanted to put ivy vines around the base. While I just did the vines out of green stuff I'm not sure what to do about the leaves. I have a GSW leaf punch that I want to use but I'm not sure how to prep the leaves so nothing weird comes in with them. It's been suggested to me to use the oven but was given no further details.  I have other ideas if I can't get the leaves to work but I'd really like to use them since I went through the trouble of getting the punch specifically for this. 

So what would you do to real leaves to make them work for basing? 
  • Who's Online   21 Members, 0 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)