Found Treasures

Dr.Bedlam

I love me some western skirmish. 

Always have, but it really blossomed with Castlebuilder's western games at Reapercon and the Chronoscope cowboys that began coming out. I have a whole shadow box full of them now, including some of Wyrd's redneck goblins, and even some old Grenadier "Boot Hill" figures.

I have many western skirmish games and RPGs as well... "Gutshot," "Aces And Eights," "Deguello," every edition of "Boot Hill," not to mention Castlebuilder's RAGE system tweaks that are now available on the Reaper website.  And I like them. I've even used some of the stuff in the classroom to promote an interest in history. I must have refought the Gunfight at the OK Corral thirty or forty times by now.

Someone mentioned the Knuckleduster Firearms Shop to me online. It's a book that provides a basic overview of the Wild West's most favored firearms, as well as some rather bizarre variants that were made to avoid patent infringement. It sounded interesting, so I looked it up online. Amazon has it.

Regrettably, it's in demand and out of print. Copies go from $60 to $100! Eeesh! No way was I going to put down that kind of money for an obscure gaming book... wait a minute... that cover looks familiar...

Sure enough, I found it downstairs on the secondary gaming bookshelf in the Doom Room. I'd picked it up years ago at Half Price Books, for a dollar. It still has the clearance tag on it.

Anyone got any tales of gaming glory discovered unexpectedly at gleefully low prices?

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 6

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a first edition D&D Dungeon Master's Guide at a neighborhood charity booksale for a dollar.

A few years earlier I found one of the three original D&D pamphlets (can't remember which one and it's in storage at the mo) for fifty cents.

I usually look for vintage cookbooks and hilarious food ephemera (meat cookbooks from the manufacturers of grills, horrific hors d'oeuvres of the 1930s, etc.); I just lucked into those because they were sorted with the home economics textbooks.

• Like 4

Five or six years ago I gave all my 2e stuff away to some active duty soldiers who liked tabletop, but none of them owned books. I knew their CO, so I passed my books along. I have slowly been rebuilding my stash mostly through used sales on Amazon.com. I got my 2e PHB for .25, plus shipping cost.

• Like 4

There is a game store in nearby town which has not updated their mini section since the late 90s.  They have also not updated their prices.  I bought an old school metal 40k Carnifex for $12 and Cinder, Ebonwrath, and Gauth three of Reaper's dragons all for less than what one would cost today.

• Like 3

There is a game store in nearby town which has not updated their mini section since the late 90s.  They have also not updated their prices.  I bought an old school metal 40k Carnifex for $12 and Cinder, Ebonwrath, and Gauth three of Reaper's dragons all for less than what one would cost today.

...oh, I would give much to see that minis section. I'm still looking to replenish my old Dark Horse minis...

• Like 3

I got a copy of the Dune RPG at GenCon the one and only time it was on sale.  Full Price, $34.95.  The reason I list this as a great value is that since only 2000 were printed and that was pretty much the only time it was ever on sale (barring a few odd copies they sold online after GenCon) the after market price immediately shot up far beyond anything I would pay for it and has fluctuated between $100 and $200 ever since.

I got all the Renegade Legion box games (except Centurian which I already owned) for $5 each when a distributor was having a clearance sale.

I bought enough Karmans (Space Gorillas from AT-43) to fill a waist high toolbox all at 25-50% of retail.

Those are the best deals I can think of offhand.

Dr. Bedlam, you got the Knuckleduster Firearms Shop, have you seen the Knuckleduster Cowtown Creator?  It's pretty awesome.  

• Like 5

I picked up B2 Keep on the Borderlands at a used book store in Portland, ME for like $4...

(And I wouldn't exactly call it a "find", cuz I didn't pay for them, but when I helped the owner of the Citadel Game Cellar move to his new location, we cleared a big ol' stack of dusty old AD&D stuff out of his basement, and I guess I was drooling over it so hard he just gave it to me for helping out.)

• Like 4

I picked up Reaper's "Warlord: Battles in War-Torn Taltos" (hardcover, 1st ed. rules, used, near-perfect condition) for $3.95 at Powell's City of Books. Worth every penny, just for the painting guide alone.

I peeled the price sticker off the cover to discover two other more underneath:

7/3/2010 - $7.95

7/29/2011 - $5.50

9/20/2012 - $3.95

But the very best find I ever had was going to a hobby shop as it was closing and picking up a case of Floquil enamel paints in a wide range of colors at 10 cents per bottle in the mid 90's, along with a box of thinner cans to go with it for 25 cents each. I've used less than half of it and it's almost all still good today. (And the paints that dried out got cleaned out and the glass bottles re-used -- I got paint-filled bottles for 1/3 less than the price of an empty one at the time.)

• Like 3

$20 for Decent a year ago or less.

$15 for Warhammer Quest with a few expansions and a Warhammer Fantasy box about 15 years ago.

$100 for just over 1000 d&d ppm from a buddy that quit playing RPGs about 8 years ago.

• Like 3

I've been trying to get all the Battletech novels, but the first one has been long out of print. The Sword & the Dagger would often sell on ebay for 120+, Amazon wasn't any better. So one day while walking home from work I stop in a movie/game store, and much to my surprise they have a very good copy on the shelves. For 2.97. I quietly buy it, and cackle the rest of the way home.

• Like 3

I've been trying to get all the Battletech novels, but the first one has been long out of print. The Sword & the Dagger would often sell on ebay for 120+, Amazon wasn't any better. So one day while walking home from work I stop in a movie/game store, and much to my surprise they have a very good copy on the shelves. For 2.97. I quietly buy it, and cackle the rest of the way home.

Only 2.97!?  ...I wouldn't say I hate you, but I'd be lying if I said I'm glad you got that instead of me :P

• Like 2