Eyesight question

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm nearsighted as well, and while I *can* paint with my glasses on, I've found that it strains my eyes. After about 10 minutes I suddenly realise why I'm starting to get a headache, take my glasses off, and it's all much better.

I hold minis around 6-10" from my nose, and can see the details just fine. I do have a magnifying glass as part of my desk lamp, but as per a previous post I don't use that as it seems to ruin my depth perception.

Worth noting that I've got relatively low strength glasses (-1.50), and my optometrist is continually surprised that I even wear them for computer use.

Are there activities for improving eyesight?

What about things to avoid? I would assume computer screen time and reading in the dark aren't good, but some things are old wives' tales so I figure it is worth asking.

I'm nearsighted with astigmatism, so while I can paint without glasses, I do better if I use my painting glasses. I started to notice that my ability to focus on near objects starting to go by painting minis before I noticed it with reading.

If you use contacts, you might be able to get by just fine with pharmacy reading glasses.

If you wear glasses for nearsighted correction, your optometrist should be able to help you if you bring a mini and a brush so that yo,u two can work out the optimal focal distance and magnification. For me, it's a tricky balance between magnification but not being so corrected that I can't see my paint rack at arms length.

Ron

Interesting, I'm very nearsighted (-6.00/-6.25) but wear contacts pretty much all the time.  I've struggled with my eyes wearing out quickly when painting minis, and have taken to wearing fairly strong reading glasses (+2.75 I think) in addition to my contacts while I paint, which seems to work well.  I'll have to give it a shot with no contacts or glasses and see how that goes.

Edited by Brambler

I have wondered this for the last couple years.  I started painting 2-3 years ago and from the first ones I painted were better than the guys in the store.  I realized it was because I have always been good with tiny detail, threading needles, fixing small things, etc.  When I take my glasses off or contacts out I am nearly blind BUT if I hold something 8 inches from my face I can see to the finest detail.

How do those of you with naturally 20-20 vision paint miniatures?

I tried recently just to see how hard it was to paint with my contacts in and it was impossible.  I couldn't see the little details without crossing my eyes, I could not tell when the brush was in contact until after it had made a mark too big and not quite in the right place and after 5 minutes my eyes were painfully strained.

Do any of you use jewelers loops or a big magnifying glass because I could not imagine it being enjoyable painting miniatures with 20/20 vision.  Thank God I didn't get lasiks surgery 5 years ago or I'd never have discovered mini painting.

Those with 20/20 vision (honestly even that term is rarely used in the optical business mostly we talk about diopters of power needed to correct vision) usually still have a very flexible lens in their eye.  Thus their eye can adapt easily to closeup  and far away vision fields.  A person with 'perfect' vision wouldn't have any difficultly focusing close up.  Contacts do not give 'true' 20/20 vision only a simulation of it.  In optical schools they have the 20/20 students put on +10.00 diopter contacts then put -10.00 glasses on over them - effectively negating the contacts.  While you might think this would mean you'd be able to see out of the contact/glasses combo just fine in reality vision is only mostly returned to normal most people find the vision acuity gained to be only half as clear as their normal 20/20 vision.  The lens, as a person ages, loses a lot of its elasticity and thus your eyesight will worsen.  Diet is a huge factor in eye health as well as avoiding eyestrain (imagine that like pulling a muscle in you leg - damaging the muscle (the lens in your eye) it needs time to recover - time it often just doesn't get).  Leafy green vegetables, blueberries, even carrots (or any source of carotene) all help maintain good eye health and some evidence suggests even an improvement  of night vision by eating largish quantities.

Some links for general eye structure knowledge and tips on maintaining eye health

http://thebiologs.blogspot.ca/2013/09/csec-eye.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-99368/Can-eat-improve-eyesight.html

On last thing - get your eyes checked regularly!  A great many eye aliments can be halted if not outright cured/repaired if they are caught early enough.  Yearly eye exams are recommended.

Edited by Hellcow
  • Like 4

I was asking my dentist about his loupes, they're actually embedded into a set of prescription glasses. But they're only +2.5 and $1600...before the custom work to put them in the glasses! He only goes +2.5 to keep some peripheral vision (errant tongues are bad), his brother prefers a stronger loupe for better focus at the cost of tunnel vision. My cheater glasses are +4.5 and +6, I think I might try +5 for the perfect balance. The +6 are really too convex, but that's partially the frames. The +4.5 are in quite large plastic frames (and look LOVELY).

I'm nearsighted and have always painted with my glasses on. However I have noticed that I sometimes look over my glasses to focus on closeup objects. Don't know if this is because I can focus better or if all the scratches on my glasses get in the way....

Probably going to experiment next time I paint.

I've always been nearsighted, though I've noticed that age is starting to effect my vision - bifocals are definitely in my future.  With that in mind, I've made a real effort over the past bit to get used to the jeweller's visor I bought (and then cast aside) years ago.  When I first got the thing I experienced nausea and vertigo whenever I looked away from the miniature I was working on, but I've learned to use the visor properly and the problems I had have all but disappeared.  Now I won't paint without it as my finished minis look a lot nicer, and I almost never experience eyestrain - even after twelve hours of continuous painting.

I started painting miniatures AFTER my vision greatly deteriorated.

Chalk that up to being a voracious reader all my life.

Once my intermediate vision left I am totally dependent on glasses, and the Opti-visor has become

my paintbrush partner.  I combine the optivisor with a movable lamp on an armature to adjust light so that

I can see what I am doing.  Keeping the lamp over my head keeps the visor from smacking into it.

I'm near sighted - I wear my glasses and use a large magnifying lamp (the depth perception problems I had with a smaller one are almost entirely eliminated by using a larger magnifier).  Without my glasses, in order to get the mini close enough to be able to focus, I'd end up with paint on my face.

I have been painting for 30 years now and have had my eyes go from picking off newsprint at 20 feet to needing cheaters (currently 3.0 diopter) to see detail on the mini. Age apparently will get us all when it comes to eyesight. Right now I can paint everything but facial features but it can strain my eyes pretty quickly.

It's really a bother because I've never had glasses in real life. I would, however, like to find some 5 or6 diopter lenses to work with. Some of the 15 mm stuff iWork with is getting beyond me and magnifying lenses make me lose depth perception quickly

On last thing - get your eyes checked regularly!  A great many eye aliments can be halted if not outright cured/repaired if they are caught early enough.  Yearly eye exams are recommended.

When they come up with a cure for presbyopia the miniature world will rejoice. For now its just glasses and arm extensions :)