Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

Metallic advice...

Rather than clutter up my wip thread with paint discussion, I thought I would bring it here.  I'm working on Wyrmgear and have gotten to the 'engine' on his back:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/55044-wyrmgear-and-nethy/?p=885289

post-8754-0-02084500-1401073960_thumb.jpg

I hit it with some grey liner, but I'm not sure what metal i want to do it with..

Thinking about GW Ironbreaker, Vallejo MC Gunmetal Grey, GC Gunmetal Metal, or P3 Pigiron or coldsteel

• Like 2

A gunmetal color would be a nice choice. I am unfamiliar with the non-Reaper brands, though.

Another choice vould be a black steel highlighted up through steel of some kind.

• Like 1

Another vote for Pig Iron.  It's one of my current favorite metals - going on all the smokestacks on my warmachine 'jacks at the moment.

• Like 4

So...i have no idea what the names of the paint you used on it so far but I would go with the 3 colors you already have on him. The piston header and exhausts I would go with either the gold you used on the head or the steel you used on the belly. I would also try to make the exhausts look dirty or soot covered on the tips. Then hit the top strip of the header and the nozzles that hold the exhausts with the red that you used in the middle scales. Then hit the connecting plates (if there are any) with the bronze you used.

• Like 1

This is also an opportunity to add a bit of non-metallic color such as a deep blue or a bright orange ( think shiny new muscle car engines).

• Like 1

I also like pig iron, BUT...

Vallejo has a mettalic blue color that could work well.

EDIT: You could also add a non mettalic color to the pig iron or other metal and give it a different look. Try adding some blue or red to see how it affects. Mabey 3:1 Mettalic: Non-Mettalic

Edited by fishnjeeps
  • Like 1

@MrMelons: the colors I've used so far are:

Clockwork brass with some pirate gold dry brush

GW Sycorax Bronze

AP Platemail

Liquitex Basics Copper

• Like 1