Department of Acquisitions

Thrym

Found a pair of shops here. One, The Dragon and George, is closing soon and the owner found a bunch of old stuff while cleaning out the basement. One hundred pounds later, I now have most of the original, Talisman figures in metal and a bunch of AD&D figures ad well as some metal magic figs and Grendel scenery resins. Pics after I get back from dinner.

ETA:  Dinner and pics accomplished.

DSCF0586.JPGDSCF0587.JPGDSCF0588.JPGDSCF0589.JPG

[spoiler/]

• Like 18

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally have sanding needles! I'm unreasonably excited about this!

Sanding needles are awesome! Totally worth being excited over.

I can't get them back home, and shipping is ridiculous. I'm considering going back for more later in the week.

• Like 3

Dilvish, I hate you with the power of a thousand exploding suns.

But I love my girlfriend.

Last week, in Manhattan, on business, she noted that the Compleat Strategist was between her hotel and where she was attending a conference. So she walked in and looked around.

A clerk says, "Can I help you?"

She says, "My boyfriend is a miniatures guy... but he probably has these Bones already. Do you have any old stuff?"

And he shows her this boxed Ral Partha 54mm set... the Sterling Collection... based on a Larry Elmore painting... in 54 mm.  She thinks, "Yeah, he'd like that," and bought the thing.

Have I mentioned that I love my girlfriend?

• Like 16

Did I mention that they had about 30 or so sets of the Ral Partha 3 stage minis (in baggie sold as licenced by Minifigs).  He also had a wall mounted curio cabinet full of painted Mithral Lord of the Rings figures.  Yeah, I could have just spent all of the money I didn't have to go to ReaperCon at that place.  I may end up going back later.  I let Damenace know about it as he should be in Glasgow soon.  Evidently the lease is up for his store and it is too expensive to renew.  Hence all of the old stuff.  It's been sitting buried in the basement since that last time he moved when the building his shop was in got demolished to become a parking garage.  The fellow (George he is, not the Dragon) evidently used to be the MiniFigs distributor back in the day for Scotland.  That's why he had so much still on hand. 

It was nice talking to him about the gaming scene.  Evidently he knows the blokes who wrote the S.L.A. Industries RPG.  He seemed surprised that I had played it.  Evidently the guys who wrote it (up in Paisley don't ya know), were contacted by WotC and sold it for $100K, and became the the distributors for MtG in Scotland.  After a couple of yes, WotC dropped the game.  One of the designed asked to buy the rights back and did so; for one U.S. cent.

All kinds of stories.

• Like 7

Last week, in Manhattan, on business, she noted that the Compleat Strategist was between her hotel and where she was attending a conference. So she walked in and looked around.

She says, "My boyfriend is a miniatures guy... but he probably has these Bones already. Do you have any old stuff?"

And he shows her this boxed Ral Partha 54mm set... the Sterling Collection... based on a Larry Elmore painting... in 54 mm.  She thinks, "Yeah, he'd like that," and bought the thing.

Aww, that's so sweet!

I think I may have spotted that same set last time I was in there.

That place is fabulous. My husband's been shopping there since the 1970s. Last time he had to travel to NY alone he came back with an old Partha resin quetzalcoatl for me,

• Like 7

Awesome. Sounds like a keeper to me, Doc.

• Like 3

JBT sent me a new non damaged book. Still not in a plastic bag. Guess he was hoping it wouldn't rain again. I would ask if they have rain in France, but the week I was there it rained the whole time.

I am still in the process of arguing with the post office, but mostly since they never answer the phone. 

• Like 1

Now there is sun, but it always rains in France when I am here...

My copy mailed locally was also not in a bag. One thing, I believe here mail nevers gets left unattended and in the open, subject to the weather. Here if the receipent and it does not fit your mailbox, you get a notice and the mailman takes it back to the post office.

• Like 4

My copy mailed locally was also not in a bag. One thing, I believe here mail nevers gets left unattended and in the open, subject to the weather. Here if the receipent and it does not fit your mailbox, you get a notice and the mailman takes it back to the post office.

That would explain a lot. They leave everything out here.

• Like 3

That would explain a lot. They leave everything out here.

I am making no excuses for JBT, just that I was also very sorprised to learn you leave stuff unattended on the street. We often see stuff through our own local perceptions / cultures and so fail to understand other people's thoughts processes.

But, you know... France. They are also quite weird.

• Like 5